• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Taki TB290 being dumped when reaching 5000 hours

crazydane

@PeterG Thanks! 3,633 hours sounds about right for a 2016 model I think. Really wish I had taken a picture of the screen showing the hours while I was there.

@heymccall Great idea about getting oil samples. Not sure I'll be able to turn those around before I have to either commit to buying or not. Will look into it.

MG84

At some point you just have to evaluate equipment on its current state and not a complete history. Get what little maintenance records you can, examine the machine closely, run it as long as you can and make a decision from there. Barring any previous catastrophic failures or blatant contamination, equipment is surprisingly tough. A lot of equipment operates in horrible conditions in third world countries, with abysmal maintenance, but yet still keeps working. If everything is tight and works good, chances are it will be ok. Clean it up, fix it up and put it to work...

crazydane

Makes sense. At first I was a little hesitant given the feedback here, but everything worked like it should, engine starts right up and sounds good. The pin at the bucket is a little loose and the Wain Roy QC adds on top of that, but its not all that bad. All hoses look good and all the sheet metal is straight.

I'm still hopeful I can get him down a little on price. I pulled in some more comparisons and I plan to take this printout with me when I go back down there:

comparison_chart_v2.jpg

The 2 in green are the ones he had on the lot Monday when I got down there. The 2018 was snatched up the morning I reached out to him. That was a great deal it would seem.

But the 2016 at $55k, with 3,633 hours, compares well with the other machines on the list, especially since there is no tax or other fees to pay, and having it delivered will only be another $300 - $400.

crazydane

Facedtimed with the seller and he fired it up, and these are the hours it shows:

facetime_1.jpg

Seat wear from same facetime session:

facetime_2.jpg

Odd that the display would show different hours from what United stated....

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
But if you like a newer machine (LCD screen), don't be afraid to look at the Tak TB260 which is exactly in your budget. That machine can load those logs easily. It just won't pull out large stumps as well. A bit easier to tow around too.

Good choice! Well done.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Also, did you have just four tie down straps to your trailer? For a 6 ton machine get some trucker G70 chains and binders even if you're not towing it around much. Good for securing your logs too. Also, I do believe you are suppose to tie down the stick so that it can't accidently swing to the side (DOT regulations). I can't for sure see if your stick is tied down. Cheers!