• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Theft and tresspassing....how to stop them without jail time. Suggestions?

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Since the last time we had fuel stole, my father had the bright idea of removing the handle on the hand pump. They gotta bring thier own handle to steal the gas now.

Other tips include don't have gas on the property, or only have a little bit so they can't break you.

What about a card lock or keypad lock?

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
They gotta bring thier own handle to steal the gas now.
Lol... no doubt, they will.

About five years ago, we installed three new, one thousand gallon tanks, one each for... off road diesel (red), on road diesel (clear), and gas, all with electric pumps that you can turn on at the tank... instant theft.

They're all wired to a lockable handle breaker box with two screw in fuses, on a pole, about 100 feet away.

Similar to... http://s.gc1.co/is/image/Grainger/6GNH0_AS01

We padlocked the handle, but they broke the handle, and used the small stub... lol

We then would open the box and unscrew the two fuses, and hide them... they brought their own fuses... :lmao

We made a heavy locking tab on the bottom of the box, but still take out the fuses... they could still use the small stub... we do, but only after we unlock the box and screw the two fuses in... :rolleyes:

What a hassle...:(

No trouble lately, but yeah, really thinking about that... or some kind of remote deal.

watglen said:
What about a card lock or keypad lock?

OCR

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I learned a trick from one of my fuel suppliers for on-site 500 gal tanks. Usually it has pig tails with alligator clamps to hook on the batteries to run the pump, just pull up the machine, hook up and fuel.

Take an old extension cord and cut the male and female ends off leaving a few feet for splicing. Splice the extension cord to the 12 volt pump wire with either the female or male end. Rig up a jumper on the other end with alligator clamps to hook to the battery. Would be thieves will see the regular 120 volt connection and think that's what it takes to run the pump.

Sure this won't fool all of them but it's an extra step you can take easily in order to combat on-site fuel theft.;)

FSERVICE

i had a fuel thief till he got the race fuel out of my race quad, knew exactly who it was by the smell of the fuel.. had a nice heart to heart chat & it hasn't happened again.. it was the kid from around the corner...

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . On a couple of occasions I have had to resort to the old treble hooks on the crabpot rope type caper. . . not my fault if some one ends up tangled in some fishing gear.

It works better in mild climates where folks tend to get around in shorts and even bare feet.

Cheers.

Lindsey97

instead of baitcar we can have a baitdozer.

or you could procure a large spring jaw bear trap, bury it and tape a stack $100 bills on the trigger.

or maybe the dye packs that the banks use when they are being robbed.

geese or a flock of guineas are also very effective guard dogs.

Dualie

also muriatic acid will ruin a 5 gal can of diesel or gas. Leave it near the pump for easy transport

As for the power box why not put the panel into another much more hardened lockable box? Or keep the hose and meter controls locked up in a hardened box?

joispoi

CM- That's a clever idea until you get a fuel thief that has an inverter on his vehicle that will send 110 volts AC to the 12v DC pump. A dummy pigtail would work if you can hide the real power leads.

Spitzair- A flock of geese would be a good idea. However, we have a tenant farmer that raises fowl. His geese get stolen around the holidays. The stole the gate. They tried to steal the fuel. I'm not quite sure the geese would be safe. Ostriches are supposed to be pretty effective as well.

Ideally, I'm looking for a system that incorporates an electric fence, an air horn, a cattle slurry pump, motion activated flood lights, and a cctv surveillance system to capture it all.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
I caught one stealing this year already. Couldn't stop them but the 7.62 mm got my point across.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
I have a homeless guy who is a dead ringer for Charles Manson. He is honest and loves to just mill around. He is completely useless otherwise. He scares the pants off most folks.

KWD

For oil thieves , leave a drum of oil out with grinding paste added to it :naughty

Also there is a thread on here,about someone who is having trouble with a member of his family thieving and there is a few good ideas on it, I think its on the everything else thread