• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hard to say. Very short sighted for sure. He told me that there is lots of turnover in the shop and that they are hiring 18 year old kids off the street and paying them several dollars more per hour than the guys that have been there for years due to the way wages have gone up in recent years. They don't want to raise the wages of the current employees though, so the veteran guys (some of them at least) are leaving.

Missed the back story. Thompson Tractor, Yancey or another dealer?

joelx777

It's not always about money. I'd much rather make a little less and have good working conditions than work at a place where you never know what expect. It's so much nicer if everyone gets along and you're motivated to go to work every morning. I worked for one place that went through 9 guys a week on average and had an ad running all year looking for welders. The shop had a poor reputation even though they paid OK. The boss would start yelling and screaming over the simplest things, ie/ over grating that he felt should have more welds to hold it on. Pretty simple to put more welds on it, not like it was going to go anywhere and certainly no reason to go off the deep end. You show up in the morning and the 1st thought is if the boss is going to be on a rampage today.
I am ashamed to admit that when I first started my business, I was this way. I was 25 years old and had no experience managing employees and had no good mentors. I was always either afraid of going broke or angry people didn't do things the way I wanted it.

I lost a lot of good employees for years until I read and trained a bunch ("Manager's Tools" podcast was great). I became very good at recruiting online though, to the point where that is now my company's strong point.

I still am not the most pleasant person to work for directly, so I have someone as my company President who everyone likes and is a great people person.

I'm up to 270 full time people and down to working a couple of hours a day myself at 39 years old. I am now basically Chief Cheerleader.

I will say in reference to the earlier topic here that I have never missed a paycheck or payment to anyone... That fear that made me unpleasant to work with also helped me never break my word to my people. But I certainly could and should have been nicer about it.

joelx777

Wasn't Henry Ford was it?
I highly recommend reading Henry Ford's autobiographies. Tons to learn about business and also a super interesting look at American history. It's crazy there was once a day when a business could build a hydroelectric dam on a river within a year or two of having the idea and build massive factories in months. And that people used to riot over trying to get a job (instead of being paid by Uncle Sam to stay home).

Welder Dave

It's sad the way some employers treat their employee's. There can be terrible employee's but I think for the most part everybody wants to go a good job and take pride in their work. Yelling and screaming at people just trying to do their job is isn't warranted.

Truck Shop

I highly recommend reading Henry Ford's autobiographies. Tons to learn about business and also a super interesting look at American history. It's crazy there was once a day when a business could build a hydroelectric dam on a river within a year or two of having the idea and build massive factories in months. And that people used to riot over trying to get a job (instead of being paid by Uncle Sam to stay home).
I've read about henry and a few others.

joelx777

I've read about henry and a few others.
There's nothing like hearing it straight from the horse's mouth. Most biographies are written by journalists or writers who may not really understand what it was that made the great man great. The autobiographies may not be quite as smoothly written that's what a professional writer would do, but every page there are golden nuggets of wisdom.

joelx777

It's a fallacy to judge history by today's standards.... The Johnstown dam bursting was a tragedy... but by and large hydroelectric dams saved far, far more lives over the long run through vastly better quality of life.

Same with Henry Ford... he had some ideas today's folks find repugnant, but before he revolutionized auto manufacturing most people were never able to get further than a few miles from where they were born in their entire lives.

Welder Dave

Henry Ford was admirable. Made a handshake deal with Harry Ferguson to produce the 1st 3pt. hitch tractor. Henry Ford II not so much. Lost a $10 million lawsuit to Harry Ferguson that should have been a lot more. $10mil. is almost peanuts when you sell over 500,000 tractors in clear violation of patent infringement.

Vetech63

Well, my internet is back.

Between the wife's machine shop woes and me being constantly behind in my own work...............I've been too exhausted to provide much updating. The storm that passed through here Saturday night also left some light damage I have been taking care of. Things will get back to normal soon...........I hope.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Well, my internet is back.

Between the wife's machine shop woes and me being constantly behind in my own work...............I've been too exhausted to provide much updating. The storm that passed through here Saturday night also left some light damage I have been taking care of. Things will get back to normal soon...........I hope.
CLICKBAIT!!!