• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Monkeywithawrench

Doesn't anybody ever report that machines need something fixed? It really is a gong show if someone can't even say a saw needs a $10 or $15 throttle cable. Almost could have put a new engine in the saw for similar money.
The guy running it (who's the low man on the totem pole) probably told someone higher up........and then that got forgotten......because it doesn't affect the foreman or super........so WHO CARES!! It's just the guy running the saw that needs to deal with it. I've run into that many times.
Some super or foreman tells me about a problem that needs to fixed. I will go out of my way to find the last guy who ran it and get his/ her input. That is usually a much bigger and better picture. And usually its "I told so and so all about those problems..........."
I think we all know how it goes...........

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Doesn't anybody ever report that machines need something fixed? It really is a gong show if someone can't even say a saw needs a $10 or $15 throttle cable. Almost could have put a new engine in the saw for similar money.
Having been both sides of the fence I will tell you why. If you report it is broken they might take it away and never bring it back. You will lose production on your job and somebody will breathe down your neck or you will lose hours. So you keep running it for "one more job".

AzIron

Without a clear operational structure that company will never get better there maintenance operation is similar to a small mom and pop outfit fix it when it's broke

A place like that needs 2 good wrenches in the shop and 2 really good field guys plus 2 lube guys for as spread out as they seem and all that needs organized by a individual that has superior ability to manage outside there understanding or has 20 years of wrenching themselves

Short of that it's always going to be an emergency operation for maintenance

Truck Shop

Short of that it's always going to be an emergency operation for maintenance
It's called a M*A*S*H unit for equipment, a high percentage operate like that these days
because it has become a business model--because the owners/managers are only interested
the Green.
I've worked those types-& I'm allot like Hawkeye Pierce.
zO5HgIDD7b8CijM73WsOaCkaAV3.jpg

Vetech63

Not a lot to report but,

I saw the potential hire a couple of days ago..........I say saw because I didn't actually meet the guy. Him and Alan came in the shop while I was working on a broom, they stayed in there about 2 minutes, and bullsh&^ted outside for 45 minutes. I never was introduced to him...seemed strange. I know you can't count on first impressions, but I have the feeling it could be another HNC situation. 5'9" maybe, 250 lbs. minimum, and hair/beard white as the driven snow. I have no idea what his age is, but I can tell you I look 20 years younger LOL. I guess we will see if he hires on soon or not.

The old man called me yesterday, wants to fly me to South Florida tomorrow to look at a piece of asphalt equipment he wants to buy. Similar to the Wirtgen I pulled the conveyor drive motor off of. I will know today if I am heading south or not.