• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thoughts on Strobel Scrapers?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Was over to the gent's house where I'd purchased my dozer and he has a hydraulic box scraper from Strobel I'd noticed. I found their website and they make smaller scrapers that would work behind a larger tractor, or dozer. I don't have a tractor large enough myself but have family members that do and could be borrowed easily enough.

Although these are wider than I'd like I could deal with that as have a 10' wide blade on the dozer. They have 8.5, and 12yd variants in both drawbar pull, and dolly pull styles. I don't know anything about any of these but am going to follow up with them later this week for pricing and availability. I don't need new, but now have something to start from.

Here is a video found on Youtube:

And a link to their website for the Forced Ejection Scrapers:

56wrench

That looks like ideal conditions for any scraper. I wonder if they would hold up under tougher conditions/hard cutting

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
A couple years ago I had a scraper go down towards the end of a job. A farmer friend of mine had a 12 yd strobel that I used to finish the job. I don't know how old it was but it was far from new. It worked very good and it seemed to be very well built. That is the only stobel that I have been around. I would consider them to be on the upper end for a farm type scraper. I would assume the strobel box scrapers would be built just as good.

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks for the responses. That box scraper is well built with 3/8" back and sides. The cutting edge bolts on and the welds appear first rate. It was purchased used from a local contractor than wasn't using it. My former dozer owner purchased it to maintain the long roadway to their property and it does a good job with this task.

I have discovered Birkey's in Bloomington, IL sells the brand and I've known the construction equipment salesman there many years. Actually purchased my 1845C via him directly from Case Credit before the repossession could take place. Saved a few bucks that way and would like to give him the business if possible.

Thanks,

1693TA

Occupation
Talked to the guy I know this afternoon and he has sold a few of the Strobel brand scrapers, and gave me a contact to go visit with who purchased one less than 50 miles distant. I will take advantage of that.

Nothing used around he is aware of in this size, but I'm now in his book looking for one and he does survey his customer base for needs and surplus very regular without being a PIA.

1693TA

Occupation
Talked to Strobel quite extensively today. They are definitely aimed at the farm type operations rather than heavy road construction. Not a problem for me and I get the impression the 12yd unit would work well for my application. Was talking with the company owner and he is asking for drawbar size, style, and hitch pin sizes on the dozer. I'll be at the tractor this weekend and will retrieve the dimensions. The gut feeling is being a tracked machine it will work fine although less in engine power output than they recommend.

Also talked to my buddy salesman and he used to sell "Ashland" scrapers. Has found one of these in good condition he sold new and is now available. No price but it is 10, or 10.5yd so another candidate. Never have seen one of these either but it is not a dolly type and bears directly upon the pulling unit drawbar.

Delmer

Don't compare hp directly from a rubber tired tractor to a crawler tractor. Weight would be a closer comparison, crawler will operate slower and less slip, so less hp needed for the same size machine.

never heard anything bad about an ashland either

1693TA

Occupation
Don't compare hp directly from a rubber tired tractor to a crawler tractor. Weight would be a closer comparison, crawler will operate slower and less slip, so less hp needed for the same size machine.

never heard anything bad about an ashland either
Agree 100%. I've pulled implements in the past with both a large farm tractor, and the same implement with a crawler. Much less slippage in the same earth with the same crawler.

Our first conversation there was reservation of doubt. When I mentioned 20" pads with 1.250" deep grousers, 96"+ track length, and 33K in weight, the reservations subsided. It then switched over to style and fabrication of attachment point, (drawbar). Mine is rigid and not a swinging type drawbar fabricated from 1" plate:

What would your thought be on the dolly style, or direct bearing pull type scraper?

Attachments

• 1681988299202.jpeg
    1681988299202.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 15

56wrench

For what its worth, i would not use a direct mount on a crawler and only use a direct-mount on an ag tractor if a special scraper hitch adapter is used. Depending on the scraper, most ag tractors are not designed to carry a lot of weight on the drawbar. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with a dolly-type front wheel scraper

Delmer

I agree, a dolly is easier to hook up, easier on an ag tractor. A direct mount will give you better performance, and is the only way to go for production.

I'm assuming you're getting a smaller than max size for the dozer, so I'd get whatever comes along, ease of hitching vs harder to back up is the biggest issue in this case. you're not planning to get the pan stuck in soft ground trying to stay on schedule.

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks guys. I'm not looking for maximum production at all and this is more of a family project really. I myself kinda favor the dolly wheel setup as it is seemingly easier on the pulling unit not absorbing 100% of the torsional forces on both the vertical, and horizontal planes. Either setup has a rotating type hitch on their tongues which allows twisting and turning over uneven ground. Kinda/sorta like the hitch on my motorcycle pull trailer to allow leaning in a turn, but much larger. I've not really evaluated any backing up as where the need will be is long straight runs and plenty of flat area on both side of the creek for turning around. Definitely something to consider however.

I actually don't want to get the maximum size the dozer can pull and prefer to undersize just a bit. The tractor is old and parts are not as easily obtained as something more modern. Really want to operate in a cautious envelope so to speak. A broken tractor cannot perform work I'm thinking, so will be easy on it as myself and family will be the only operators.

I was delivering a new New Holland mini ex this afternoon and seen an "Ashland" towed scraper off on the frontage road. I stopped and looked at it on the return trip and although much larger than my needs, was very heavily built. Never have seen one of these in the past but it was a front dolly setup. I didn't see any dozers but there were a couple of dual wheel large articulated tractors there. I don't know if this is a large farming operation, or an excavating outfit as nobody was around to ask any questions. I did find a dealer decal so going to call them tomorrow. When I finish typing this I'm going to hit the internet for some research on their products.

Thanks kindly for any input thus far.

1693TA

Occupation
Looking at Ashland's website they seem to jump from 9.5cyd ejector scrapers to 14cyd units. Here is a link to their 9.5cyd towed scraper I'm going to inquire about:

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
One of my customers has a 9 yd Ashland dolly type scraper that is probably 5 yrs old. I have used it a few times and it seems to work just fine. I do know that the 12 yd Strobel that I spoke of earlier is built quite a bit heavier than the 9 yd Ashland. I realize I'm kind of comparing 'apples to oranges' (9 yd vs 12 yd) but the Strobel was alot beefier all the way around. A few yrs ago I was helping the aforementioned customer do the grading for a new shop. They were pulling the Ashland with a big front wheel assist tractor and cracked one of the main beams that angle from the front down towards the side of the bowl. Basically almost pulled the scraper apart. I don't know the horsepower requirements for that scraper but I would guess that it was too much tractor for it.

Since you mentioned you have access to bigger tractors a dolly type scraper would allow you to easily switch to one of those if needed vs a direct mount.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I must have been typing during your last post.
That is the exact scraper that my customer has. It cracked on the black side beam about where the 'S' is on the Ashland decal. FWIW

1693TA

Occupation
Thank you Bam. This is the kind of information I'm attempting to research to not duplicate the damage. My target for some reason is about a 12cyd capacity with the hp and weight I have available. I have two uncles with larger tractors that could be borrowed at will and they both tell me they have work if I purchase one of these scrapers. I really have never operated one myself so the whole world is a new experience for me.

When speaking with Mr. Strobel himself his main concern was the hitch on the rear of the dozer. I sent him the same photo I'd posted earlier of the rear of my tractor, (dozer). I need to call him back tomorrow as was busy with deliveries all day today to discuss if this existing is adequate, or another needs fabricated.

I receive a text from my buddy, (whom will sell me the Strobel unit if settled upon) as he did make contact and speak with them for a cost. Mr. Strobel and I discussed a few things he thought would be beneficial such as larger tires so may take a few days for an actual cost to me of the product.

With both your positive review of the Strobel, and honest interpretation of the Ashland units, I'm kinda inclined to look at the Strobel unit closely. I did find out the Strobel unit I can look at is a direct mount and I'm kind of inclined with the dolly mount as see it as easier to use overall.

Learning as I go as they say but really appreciate the input to guide the decision. May seem odd to look at new given my lack of knowledge, but I tend to run till something is worn out and can't be rebuilt any longer. I'd much rather have a usable piece of equipment like this which can be incorporated into a large family project rather than say a new pickup truck.

Here is a new but unsold Ashland we have been discussing:

Thanks,

Last edited:

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I pull a 14 yd direct mount Reynolds scraper with a 4WD steiger. I'm to cheap to buy a new scraper hitch drawbar for the tractor and have not come across a used one. I have the drawbar supported because otherwise there is way too much weight on it with the scraper loaded. I think you are on the right track with a dolly type scraper but according to your pic I think you would get along just fine with a direct mount on your dozer. Esp since your hitch is so close to the back of your machine. If your dozer goes down and you want to hook to a tractor it would prob be more of an issue with the direct vs the dolly.

1693TA

Occupation
What I've been kind of thinking is the weight of the machine being 32K, the weight of a scraper about 15K, and about 12cyd of material at about 2500# a cubic yard, and using a generic figure of 1.3 times tractor weight for the tractors drawbar pulling force of it's weight. Lots of liberties taken but using the figures this would mean the tractor is tugging 45K without any cutting forces impressed upon it other than rolling resistance. How much force is exerted when the bowl is empty and the cutting edge is working I really don't have any idea of how to compute? I'm thinking the dozer should be able to pull about 41,600 pounds at the drawbar hitch so may be a little heavy but I don't know anything for certain. All except tractor weight are assumptions at this time.

1693TA

Occupation
Going to forego the 12yd scraper idea as my tractor is deemed to small for this application. Turns out my computations are not far off and although I would have the drawbar pulling force needed, the tractor would be at the extreme end of it's performance envelope. This equates to a very slow travel speed, and elevated operating temperatures of the machinery. I find neither appealing.

Have found, (via reference) a 10yd scraper to look at which is a better size for this tractor allowing a window of cushion to operate within.

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks. I want to match the tractor to the implements for most efficient use.