• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Born2clearcut

Nice looking machine . I never knew they made chokers so straight :D .Back when i set chokers 25 plus years ago we had inch and a eighth slinkys for chokers lmao

furpo

More Kiwi 6255s

Those funny foke down the South Island run chains.

Here are some photos of the Holmes 6255 currently working in some nice timber just off the Rotorua to Tauranga Highway. It is Cat powered, has the three lever controls and does not have the tin work around the strawline.

The serial number is S6208

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,379
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,366
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,367
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,430

Roadswitcher

i was thinking they might be chains for as straight as they are!

Yes, indeed they are chains - as I recall, only used in the Nelson area as I can't remember seeing them used anywhere else in NZ or Oz. Anyhow, have included pic of #5190 to illustrate cab difference on #5214.

2555190.jpg

furpo that hauler is on the way to
Tauranga aye i remember seeing it wen i was up there i stopped and watched it for a while but they were running a grapple on it can u remember wen u took those photos ???? cause didn't they flip there bully on one of there setups i herd

Roadswitcher

Those funny foke down the South Island run chains.

Here are some photos of the Holmes 6255 currently working in some nice timber just off the Rotorua to Tauranga Highway. It is Cat powered, has the three lever controls and does not have the tin work around the strawline.

The serial number is S6208

Holmes 6255 new in late 99 - good shot of straw drum area. Love those chains.........:D

2555208.jpg

furpo

furpo that hauler is on the way to
Tauranga aye i remember seeing it wen i was up there i stopped and watched it for a while but they were running a grapple on it can u remember wen u took those photos ???? cause didn't they flip there bully on one of there setups i herd

Yes this is the machine you are thinking of. They were running the grapple on it. Don't know about their bully. The stuff that they grappled was creamy. The photos were taken a week ago and they have moved into a more difficult part of the block and they had been pulling over a big blind ridge. It could have been grappled with the hauler in a different spot but maybe they could not put it there. It is impossible to know without the information.

Yes this is the machine you are thinking of. They were running the grapple on it. Don't know about their bully. The stuff that they grappled was creamy. The photos were taken a week ago and they have moved into a more difficult part of the block and they had been pulling over a big blind ridge. It could have been grappled with the hauler in a different spot but maybe they could not put it there. It is impossible to know without the information.

i was a few months ago helping a crew with fiber recovery and they were just down the road we could basically see them from where we were as a matter of fact we were doing some of there old skids looked like easy grappling cheers

log frog

S5214 Oregon to New Zealand cont.....

Loaded for port Vancouver WA.

CIMG0095.JPG

Waiting on the dock. Goodbye USA

CIMG0132.JPG

Arrived safely but rusty at the paint shop, NZ

DSCF1240.JPG

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Nice pics, it was down the street from my office and I didn't even know it. When was it at the port of Vancouver?

Scott S

We own TSY 255 #5119, a OSHA compliance officer crept in to do a worksite inspection and informed me that our yarder was not placarded properly for the yarding system and line sizes we are using.

We currently are using a "standing sky line" of 1" swagged and 5/8" swagged for the skidding line. I was told by the official that I would most likely have to get new placards and possibly a engineers certification to use this logging system.

Insert properly presented swearing here, >.......<

Anybody know where I can find the information I need to get the placards?

PFS

Occupation
Student
Hey guys,

Okay so i'm currently 13 and later on in life, i intend to start a ground based logging crew, then add (maybe) a Hauler crew. I was just wondering, are they're actually any Hauler companies still around and what machines do you actually need? like 2 Shovels, a buncher, processor and of course a Hauler. also, what are the cocsts involved in buying a new hauler? and most important, will they be worth it in 15 years time? I've heard that they're sort of being phased out, due to Health & Safety, Costs, Efficency Etc.

Thanks

PFS

Occupation
Student
After a bit more research, i actually found Madill, and also found Bellis, whcih are apparently really good haulers.

Wdonaldson

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Just wondering if anyone has pictures of Thunderbird roadbuilders in action, I pearsonally have only seen the brochures of these machines.

Diamond Danebo

Occupation
Equipment operator
there are only a couple companies I can think of in NSW that run Haulers still one is AM forest Harvesting in Tumut and the other is RPS ? in Bathurst the main thing you will find with hauler crews here is finding people that are dedicated and want to do the work! with the hauler side we run a washington 88 and cat 235 tailspar total for bolth was $100,000 out of tassie, then hitachi zx300 w/waratah 624 processor, a digger with satco head to shovel up to the hitachi and forwarders to move logs and load trucks,quite a bit involved. My advice would be talk to Pete Rosin of RPS when you are of working age and work with his crew for awhile then go from there,he mainly uses a bellis 85 w/ standing skyline w/ maki carriage but is purchasing a TSY6255 and will use grapple and standing skyline system with it. If you search youtube under cable logging in oz I've got some video's of our crew working the hauler and such here in NSW.

Hey guys,

Okay so i'm currently 13 and later on in life, i intend to start a ground based logging crew, then add (maybe) a Hauler crew. I was just wondering, are they're actually any Hauler companies still around and what machines do you actually need? like 2 Shovels, a buncher, processor and of course a Hauler. also, what are the cocsts involved in buying a new hauler? and most important, will they be worth it in 15 years time? I've heard that they're sort of being phased out, due to Health & Safety, Costs, Efficency Etc.

Thanks

Last edited: