• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Roadswitcher

We also used chains with hooks here in Norway until we went over to radio chokers.

We used a quick change over set up - rope for butts, chain for head pulling - for mine, chain was preferred for head pulling for two reasons. Firstly, you didn't kink/mangle your rope strops and secondly, if the tree head looked vulnerable to breaking, by using chains we would put a half hitch in first and then go about a metre towards the butt and hook up normally - this way if the head broke at the hitch, you still had a second go.
Also, a few years back there was talk of 'auto' hook release - not sure what become of it.

PFS

Occupation
Student
there are only a couple companies I can think of in NSW that run Haulers still one is AM forest Harvesting in Tumut and the other is RPS ? in Bathurst the main thing you will find with hauler crews here is finding people that are dedicated and want to do the work! with the hauler side we run a washington 88 and cat 235 tailspar total for bolth was $100,000 out of tassie, then hitachi zx300 w/waratah 624 processor, a digger with satco head to shovel up to the hitachi and forwarders to move logs and load trucks,quite a bit involved. My advice would be talk to Pete Rosin of RPS when you are of working age and work with his crew for awhile then go from there,he mainly uses a bellis 85 w/ standing skyline w/ maki carriage but is purchasing a TSY6255 and will use grapple and standing skyline system with it. If you search youtube under cable logging in oz I've got some video's of our crew working the hauler and such here in NSW.

Fortunately, my dad just happens to know Pete Rosin, he worked along side one of his Shear Bunchers for a while doing clean up on the Bushfire affected areas. thanks for your information, and i hear quite a few Tasmanian loggers are calling it quits and sending their gear to Vic/Nsw particularly BVL, if you know them. i know theirs 3 Haulers around here in the La Trobe Valley, 2 Tbirds, and a Madill. Nice video, and it looks like you bought that Washington 88 for a bargain! Thanks again!

KillerBeeGuts

Check out a company in New Zealand called Brightwater. They're making towers and are about to comission their first 124 cos they bought the plans to make them here.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
An electronic release choker is pretty neat but they will be really slick when they can electronically set themselves.

I dont know about. Are batteries cheaper than choker setters. Oh wait a minute, they are eaiser to get these days!!

Mitch101

Hi Mitch here, I randomly came across this on google. I work for Nig Bryant and he hasnt had this hauler in the last 8 years, he just bought it recently after it had a massive rebuild on it. The little thing goes hard, skylining, scabbing, high leading easy pulling up to 12-15 tonne (6-8 trees 2.1 piece size).

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Looks like a nice January day to be logging!

They don't build you California boys much of a road do they? Looks like it was punched in with a D4 and the rock was spread with a 5 gallon bucket.

furpo

Tmy70 #7070

Currently being operated near Upper Hutt NZ. Cheers to the owner for letting us drive up. It would have been a long ride otherwise.IMG_0149.jpgIMG_0152.jpg

furpo

Tsy255 #5087

Another Kiwi yarder currently near Upper Hutt.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,364

furpo

Log frog. My pictures of 5214 are burning a hole in my hand. I would hate to post them up before you put yours up.:)

Kiwi Logger

Just a couple of pics from a bit of a different angle of our TSY6355 working in the Wharerata Forest just out of Gisborne, to the right where I took these were two 046 Madills and a 123 Madill working.

Attachments

• DSC00885.JPG
    DSC00885.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,670
  • DSC00884.JPG
    DSC00884.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,626