• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Todays tip: how NOT to move equipment

AzIron

overdrive is fun till you get through the first mile of a 9 mile 7% and cant drop a gear these western hills are not short and there is a lot of them

td25c

Split boom 750? I have a little bit of time with one those. A friend of mine owned a wrecker outfit in AZ. He owned the doppelganger for yours. Your image brought back a couple very interesting memories LOL!

That's pretty cool !

Yeah , it's a Holmes 750 bed . Truck has welder , torch & some tools on it .

Not that we would ever have a " break down " on a job .:D

GMC truck is set up the same way . Pretty handy all around rigs .

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/old-hy-hoe.8220/page-9#post-739352

td25c

I'm no truck driver but I was told you should be in the same gear going down as you would be in going up. That advise has served me well so far.

That's true on older engines and boom trucks :D

It's and old saying & I agree with it to an extent . Like comparing a 220 Cummins to a 400 . Both are 855 cubic inch and will have similar" hold back" when ya let off the throttle .

Yet the 400 will climb a grade faster in a taller gear then the 220 .

Wes J

Crummy

Rolled the blocks off the beam too. That's a really hard hit or not enough securement for that to happen.

hosspuller

Ooh .. Looks like a NEW 773E Cat (railings on pallet) . Too bad for the person waiting for the new hauler. I know I would be disappointed to hear my new truck is stuck under a bridge.

Mother Deuce

I once went into Colorado to pick up a scraper in the Trinidad area, Dot guy at the POE in Grand Junction suggested I could save time by going over Monarch pass to Pueblo... I wanted to shoot him when I got there. I had a Cozad with a 3 axle jeep, a 3 axle lowboy (long) and a 2 axle booster. I swear the trailer rubbed the mountains on some curves, and I ran into a huge herd of cattle being driven on the highway... no I didn't hit them but it sure slowed things down. This was in October, when I got to the pass the snowbanks were already 6' high on the side of the road. Oh, my KT Cummins was gasping for air too, lotsa black smoke.
The rest of the trip went well though, From the pass down it was smooth sailing, I loaded out in Trinidad and woke up to 4" of snow, headed north to Denver and got out of it. Had a DOT freakout at the Loveland pass tunnel that took a half hour with a tape measure to fix, Had to love my Colorado pilot car peeps. they were the best.
Better Monarch than Wolf Creek. Monarch is a little squirrelly from the top down to Salida would keep your attention at 100 feet long, not as bad from Montrose to the Top. Wolf Creek is something to behold... holding your camera standing beside your pickup and quoting C.W. McCall "My ain't this pretty up here!"

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Better Monarch than Wolf Creek. Monarch is a little squirrelly from the top down to Salida would keep your attention at 100 feet long, not as bad from Montrose to the Top. Wolf Creek is something to behold... holding your camera standing beside your pickup and quoting C.W. McCall "My ain't this pretty up here!"

I've been through "Downtown Pagosa Springs" VIA Wolf creek pass on vacation in 1994 in my old (new then) Dodge Cummins dually with camper onboard. I would not want to take a lowboy on that route.
I have also flown into the Pagosa Springs airport in a King Air 90 and that runway has a huge hump in the middle that makes landing a medium heavy a bit of a challenge.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've been up and down Wolf Creek with my 13 axle years ago. It's a slow trip up and down....give you time to enjoy it :)

It was summer time so the drives were nice and hot. I was pulling the oil up out of the asphalt as I went back down on the jakes towards Pagosa Springs. Highway 50, the loneliest road, has some killer pulls on it and coming into Austin westbound there's a nifty little switchback :cool:

fast1buzz

Occupation
Retired Heavy Haul Company owner
Found these pictures this morning from awhile back and busted up laughing, so I figured I had to share.
No, it's not me!
One of the reasons I got out of moving equipment: "why did you quote me $5/mi and this other guy only want's $2/mi?"
Ummmm, because I'm using the proper specialized equipment and I kind of know what I'm doing?

View attachment 178850 View attachment 178851
Its definitely one of the reasons I sold the heavy haul business 10 yrs ago. Drivers with step decks were buying 5/mi loads for 2/mi or less. Brokers were constantly looking for SD/W RAMPS would not even consider an RGN.

fast1buzz

Occupation
I can’t figure out how to post a you tube video. Look up C.W. McCall Wolf Creek Pass. I grew up and learned to drive in the Colorado and Wyoming Mountains. First hauling cattle and feed. Then figured out that people paid real money to move heavy equipment. Haven’t ever looked back!
Born and raised Gunnison CO also hauled hay and livestock as a young man been doing heavy iron out of Denver for 40 yrs sold out years ago now retired

fast1buzz

Occupation
I've been up and down Wolf Creek with my 13 axle years ago. It's a slow trip up and down....give you time to enjoy it :)

It was summer time so the drives were nice and hot. I was pulling the oil up out of the asphalt as I went back down on the jakes towards Pagosa Springs. Highway 50, the loneliest road, has some killer pulls on it and coming into Austin westbound there's a nifty little switchback :cool:
Does anyone remember Wolf Creek pass back in the 60's when CW McCall originally wrote that song? There were switchbacks on the west side so tight you would be hard pressed to negotiate with todays long trailers

fast1buzz

Occupation
Remember the town you went through between Montrose and Salida I.E. Gunnison CO? Born and raised learned to drive big truck there. I must say you learn things much differently than learning down on flat land.