• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tow behind padfoot/sheepsfoot compactor

ippielb

I spent several hours today helping to catalogue the axles. I wasn't expecting to spend that much time and forgot to take some pics. Unfortunately there's only a couple options for 10K axles. There's the 2 axles with torsion suspension and hydraulic brakes listed seperately, but the same, and 2 10K bare axle tubes listed together. They should go pretty cheap like under $100 I'm guessing and maybe under $50. It all depends if someone is interested in them. New they are 16-$1700 each. They have 43" spring centers. Talking with the foreman at the trailer shop new hubs with drums and electric brakes for them are about $800 each. Then you need wheels and tires. If a 7K axle would work there is a new unused torsion axle with electric brakes. Thinking it should go for a few hundred $$$. A torsion axle may be a good option for your packer because it would provide suspension if you hit a bump or had to travel on a rough road. You wouldn't have to do anything too elaborate to make use of the suspension like you would with spring suspension. I asked him how much safety factor axles have but he wasn't sure if there's a specific amount. He did say axles are much stronger than their ratings. I'd say if your packer is under 10,000lbs. a 7K axle might work. I can't remember if your hitch takes any weight or it pivots up and down. You're not going to be pulling the packer all the time and you're not going to be going faster than maybe 50kmh on a smooth road. Just my thoughts though. If you really want a 10K axle it might be worth looking at used equipment and scrap dealers for an old trailer that's not road worthy but has a suitable axle. The last option I can think of is to buy some 6000lb stub axles from Princess Auto and make your own axle with heavy pipe or square tubing. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want some pics.
$800 per axle? OR $800 per hub? I never thought about using a torsion axle for it. That would alleviate the shock load when hitting a pot hole or wash boards on the road transporting it. But guarantee it will be well over the 7,000 lb rating, and if its going down the road I'd like to try and keep it legal as best i can. That's why i was hoping to go with a 10k or 12k with brakes. With it being almost winter, and snow in the forecast in the next 5 days. I think buying an axle will have to wait for now. At least until our shop is built and i can work on it in the warmth.

Welder Dave

$800 per hub. Big price jump on the 10K axles. You can get short torsion suspension without an actual axle but I don't know if they come in 10 or 12K size. Do you want it highway rated (high speed) or just farm rated like other tow behind implements? I don't if it would require an inspection to be able to be highway rated. I know some trailers coming from the US to Canada have to be inspected by a 3rd party. Trailers from Lincoln and Miller for welders require it. Interestingly the gov't. wanted a Canada wide outfit to do the inspections and the only applicant that applied was Canadian Tire. What does CT know about trailers?? About all they do is see if the lights work properly. It's a joke. I think they also do some custom built/homemade motorcycles from out of the country.

ippielb

$800 per hub. Big price jump on the 10K axles. You can get short torsion suspension without an actual axle but I don't know if they come in 10 or 12K size. Do you want it highway rated (high speed) or just farm rated like other tow behind implements? I don't if it would require an inspection to be able to be highway rated. I know some trailers coming from the US to Canada have to be inspected by a 3rd party. Trailers from Lincoln and Miller for welders require it. Interestingly the gov't. wanted a Canada wide outfit to do the inspections and the only applicant that applied was Canadian Tire. What does CT know about trailers?? About all they do is see if the lights work properly. It's a joke.
That sounds like my kind of inspection if i had to get this thing inspected. but they wouldn't have a clue what they were looking at. . I was hoping to keep it legal for simple fact of the other idiots on the road. Doesn't need to be highway speeds. It's not going to be going slow, and probably will never see a highway. Just gravel roads. My neighbor still has those large combine axle hubs and tires. But the no brakes thing was kind of unappealing. If someone goes down a decent hill with that packer behind the truck, it will have quite the push without any brakes.

Welder Dave

I wonder if you could have a hitch with a surge brake control and then run hydraulic brakes? That would work with any tow vehicle. The biggest issue is you can't back up very fast. My dad used to pull a trailer with surge brakes and there weren't any issues.