• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track question

psmith

As a new person to track loaders I've got what is probably a rookie question. Does this track look "sloppy" or "normal" for slack? I've not got to look at the rollers, chains, sprockets, or rails. This machine is a couple hours from me and I hated to run down and look at if an experienced user could tell something from the general pictures. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

JD 555A TRACK LOADER008.JPG

JD 555A TRACK LOADER002.JPG

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
About the under carriage

It's hard to say from these pics. Not too sloppy, but if you look at the side wear guard for the idlers, they are at the end of the roller frame. That means the track adjuster is about as far as it's going to go. Definately gonna need some kind of repair, even if it is just short-tracking it.

QuickTrax

I agree with JeremiahSr. Idlers look to be at the end of the frames. You would at the minimum be looking at pins and bushings if not more. Possible short track and get some more hours out of the U/C.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
would save the pads, and redo the links/sprockets. if ya want I can send ya a web URL for reasonably priced links. just so you have some idea what it will cost.

psmith

thanks for the advice, I've still not got to talk to the owner yet. I heard thru a third party they claimed the U/C was 80% that does not seem very likely at this point. I'm still going to talk to him and maybe try and get down this week and look at it.

Another question, when you short track the chain do you have to pull the track and take it to someone with a track pin press? Or can you pound the master link apart and do something there? Sorry for the rookie questions.

Last edited:

QuickTrax

No, you don't need a press to short track a machine. Release the grease valve to loosen the track then hit the master pin out with a sledge hammer. We use a cutting torch to remove a section out of each chain then buckle it back together and adjust the track.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I had one in about the same condition but mine was a 450E, i was thrilled when i got 7500 out of it last spring. it even had a 4-in-1 bucket so dont give to much for the ole girl.

where in the midwest are you?

Pj

psmith

SW Missouri.

He's asking a fair bit more then 7500 for that 555a. Maybe I should keep looking? I would much rather have a 450(x) with a 4 in 1 bucket.

psmith

I guess I should expand on that last comment. I would much rather have a 450 or 455 but I'm having trouble finding one that is not either too far away or over priced.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
AH, that's what mine was....a 455E

The only reason I had it is because a kid owed me some money and i took his loader from him. after we got it at the shop we had to put a set of drive sprockets on it and then sold it. i never ran the little dude at all

EDIT: I found the thread with a pic of my little machine http://heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?t=15044

Pj

Last edited:

psmith

I went down today to look at the JD555A with the 80% U/C. I was more then a little surprised, to say the least. One of the idlers is missing the shaft that connects it to the pillow blow bearings. Most of the bearings were either loose or had bolts broke. There is a large 3" shaft that connects to the back of the adjuster near the sprockets, it had about 3/8" of slop. There was a horse shoe item in the middle of the adjuster that connects the rail to something further in, it's bolts were broke and it was welded on. The sprockets were maybe 50%, the bushings had two flat spots but not terrible.

The worst thing I think was when I measured the chains (new is 25.15" and 100% worn is 25.82") I had one side 26" and the other 26.25".

The loader bucket bushings were all shot, 1 almost wore through. The motor sounded good but when I drove it, I noticed it barely was in the green on transmission pressure. It had a very hard time turning in 2nd and 3rd unless the motor was revved up very high. Is this normal?

Obviously the U/C is very poor. I'm thinking about making a low ball offer though but it seems like a bad idea. How ever I probably wont put 100 hours a year on it.

Last edited:

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
best advice?? walk away from it!
your cost for the loader is 7500 plus cost of tracks alone and sprockets is going to put that machine way over what it is worth.
let alone any other problems you have noticed with it.......

If I can be of any help let me know, maybe find something little nicer shape.

:usa

amunderdog

I fell in that hole. There is a thread on it JD 450A track loader.
Got two duds and am still going in the hole on parts.
Just walk away.
There are no cheap easy repairs and JD offers poor support for there older models.
It is a buyers market now. If you have the money you can find a good deal.
I had to trade into my mess.
Got beat on both trades and am still trying to get a usable machine.

P.S
I am not bitter:)
Just a wasted summer and still no machine.

psmith

I was researching the parts it looks like the large shaft I saw wore out is the rear cross bar and the "horse shoe" item is the front cross bar. So it is ruined as well as the frame rails. Does all this sound about right, while I'm not interested in the machine right now, I am going to call and give the guy and ear full today, he wasted alot of my time for a machine that was suppose to be 80%.

psmith

I called the guy today, he already knew what he had. He's just going to wait for a sucker to pawn it off on. Back to looking for me.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
That guy should be listing it as a mechanic's special and not something that it isn't. Makes me mad to think about someone trying to swindle unsuspecting buyers.........:mad: good that you at least didn't get suckered.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Track question:

Monte1255 said:
best advice?? walk away from it!
Without a doubt, I agree with Monte.
psmith said:
How ever I probably wont put 100 hours a year on it.
We've bought machines in the same condition you describe, and with the same thoughts... "Well, it's pretty much junk, but it'll get us by... heck, we're only going to use it once in awhile".

Usually, what happens is, the machine is so wore out, it won't even work properly for the "little" jobs we intended it for, or a part breaks, and it won't work at all.

After the weeds grow up around it, we kinda forget it's even there... :(

amunderdog said:
I fell in that hole.
That's, more or less, been our experience, too.

We decided... "Nope, not buying any more junk".

It just seems a waste of time and money... and a terrible frustration.

OCR

Last edited: