• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission Jack

doublewide

Hey y'all, I have been looking around for a used transmission jack for my clutch project on on '88 F800. This will be a first for me and am looking for advice on this jack I found for sale locally.Trans jack 2.jpg Trans jack 1.jpg

doublewide

Just wondering if you guy think this would work well for the job. It’s 250$ and about an hour from my house.

56wrench

I used one of those many years ago and it worked ok. A bit cumbersome though. I wouldn't go much past what its rated for. It may get wobbly. Check the ratchet mechanism to see if it works properly both up and down. Try it first with a good-sized weight on it to see how it reacts before you use it under the truck. The price seems reasonable if it works ok

Tenwheeler

Hein Werner made quality products. I am still using a hydraulic jack of theirs. Purchased it used around 1990.
A friend of mine bought a harbor freight hydo jack last year. Not as heavy as the H W but it served the purpose on his big 10 speed. You might look into that as well.

doublewide

Thanks guys. I just don't want to end up with something that's going to make the job more difficult.

Old Doug

I have one just like it look in this forum TRANS JACK. I got mine at the scrap yard i have never used it but its alot smaller than my other jack. I would like to build a adapter for it that tilts. I dont think it would go as high as you need the way it is. That is alot of money for a jack like that around here but if i was going to use one very often i would do what ever it took to get one.

Old Doug

There is one llke the smaller one at work i think its 2000# it works good. I have used it on 10speeds but it looks over loaded. It would be great to take the time to build a platfourm or cradle to hold the trans to the jack most trans are far from flat on there bottoms.

Truck Shop

I suppose If your only doing a transmission R&R every once in a great while some of the jacks mentioned above are ok.
I have used just about every style of large transmission jack that's been made at least once. And for most of those one time was enough.
I had a 13spd go haywire some years back on a old Hein Werner. It was safety chained-but still went sideways. Kicked the jack up into the
frame and wedged itself on the other frame rail. Only thing you can do is reach under from a safe spot and hit the oxygen blow the chain
in two and let it hit the floor.

I do too many transmissions not have a real good one. The one below is low profile with high reach and the beast table for Eaton gear boxes.
The only jack I will use. My 2 cents.

1522a.jpg

56wrench

The last time i pulled an 18 spd, i bought an offshore cheapie for 800 bucks because it will likely be the last time i need one. It was rated for 1 ton but was a bit wobbly and nowhere near the 2000lb rating. You get what you pay for. OTC makes a good one but it is VERY expensive. Used ones at auctions bring stupid money:(

Mobilewrench

I have been using the Napa version of the jack that Truck shop posted a picture of for over 15 years. Don't remember what it cost. It has been pretty good. Made a few custom adapters for it. A plate that attaches to the left rear wheel support to run a bottle jack that holds the transfer case for pickups. A wider base with a cradle for Eaton transmissions on tractors and dump trucks. And another adapter just for pulling the auxiliary section off of eatons.
It has held up to forty or fifty eighteen speeds over the years so I feel a little bad about how much I hate that jack.
The best part of any job involving a transmission jack is the moment that you get to get the damned thing out of the way.
All of my work is onsite. So the jack has to be thrown in the back of the service truck. Thing tries to smash my fingers both coming in and out of the truck. I seriously consider abandoning it after every job.
Anyway, sorry. I just remembered that I have to put the jack back in my truck next week and it has made me cranky.
I think your money may be better spent than what was in the pic you posted.

Truck Shop

The difference for me is the truck is/was brought to me-all of my tools are in the shop that's where the work is done. If it can't or won't be
delivered to the shop for repair---then I don't need to work on it. The owners could pi$$ up a rope for all I care.

JPV

"The best part of any job involving a transmission jack is the moment that you get to get the damned thing out of the way."

So true, we have an old one like the one Truck Shop posted, we have built several adapters for it as well. It works good, I wouldn't really want anything smaller for an Eaton.

Old Doug

I had a 13spd go haywire some years back on a old Hein Werner. It was safety chained-but still went sideways. Kicked the jack up into the
frame and wedged itself on the other frame rail. Only thing you can do is reach under from a safe spot and hit the oxygen blow the chain
in two and let it hit the floor.

View attachment 241982
I had 2 get stupid one was bad i used 2 comealongs hooked across the frame to cradle it so i could get it back on the jack the other one i blocked and chained back up . Most all the trans i pull anymore have ptos i remove them but it would be a real time saver if i had a jack rigged up to handle them.

56wrench

Any of the trans i have removed, i always pull the pto(bottom mount) off and put on a blank plate because it seems i always need it as low as possible to get enough clearance to drag the thing out from under the truck. The eatons are big enough i made custom brackets for my jack, but depending on the truck it can still be awkward. And lets not forget a crack in the floor or a small piece of gravel stuck under a jack wheel at the wrong time:(:mad:

Last edited:

Old Doug

The last one i did was in the tank wagon barn the floor slopes to a containmnt area. I had to use a comealong to pull it back but it was down hill going back in.

mbavers

Just wondering if you guy think this would work well for the job. It’s 250$ and about an hour from my house.

I just bought this one at O'Rielly. $250 up here in AK. Rated at 2 1/4 tons. Going to try it on my Case 580 transaxle as soon as I get a large railroad tie base build for it. The center round pad is removable.02095a.JPG