• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission Jack

mbavers

I suppose If your only doing a transmission R&R every once in a great while some of the jacks mentioned above are ok.
I have used just about every style of large transmission jack that's been made at least once. And for most of those one time was enough.
I had a 13spd go haywire some years back on a old Hein Werner. It was safety chained-but still went sideways. Kicked the jack up into the
frame and wedged itself on the other frame rail. Only thing you can do is reach under from a safe spot and hit the oxygen blow the chain
in two and let it hit the floor.

I do too many transmissions not have a real good one. The one below is low profile with high reach and the beast table for Eaton gear boxes.
The only jack I will use. My 2 cents.

View attachment 241982

Can't read the name-what brand/model is it?

Tenwheeler

I just bought this one at O'Rielly. $250 up here in AK. Rated at 2 1/4 tons. Going to try it on my Case 580 transaxle as soon as I get a large railroad tie base build for it. The center round pad is removable.View attachment 242550
Should be good if it goes high enough. Do not thank it will roll on ties. Need some thing in-between.

crane operator

Going to try it on my Case 580 transaxle as soon as I get a large railroad tie base build for it.

I've put thin steel on top of plywood to build a platform for a jack, when changing a third member out in the dirt. Makes the jack much easier to move, vs. just on top of the ties.

If you don't put the steel on top of the plywood, the floor jack wheels will fall into the plywood.

My trans jack is like the walker that someone posted pictures of. I like the wide base of the walker, especially with a big trans. on it. I would think a floor jack based one would get kind of tippy in poor conditions.

Tenwheeler

Hey y'all, I have been looking around for a used transmission jack for my clutch project on on '88 F800. This will be a first for me and am looking for advice on this jack I found for sale locally.View attachment 241641 View attachment 241642
Years ago this was learned from the back of a truck stop. An old man trucker jumped in and helped when the clutch went out. It was easy on a cab over.
Use a piece of heavy wall pipe about 2 1/2" OD. It has to be a little wider than the frame rails. Use two pieces of small chain. Put a bolt through each end of the chain so they just start in the top plate holes. One chain on each side. As the bolts are tightened it picks the trans up a bit. Move the trans forward and backwards by turning the pipe with channel lock pliers.
Last time I did this was on a 9000 series Ford with a 3406 shoe horned in it. It was a dump with a bottom mount PTO. Some thing about the hoist cylinder was in the way for a jack. It was in a farm shop 22 miles from me and 50 miles from parts. Did that in two days by myself and trans jack was in the back of my truck.