• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Unions.... What is your thoughts on them?

Jeff D.

I drove OTR 5 1/2 yrs for a Co. while being in the Teamster's union.

This is the first and only union I've been involved with.

We were making better money than other company drivers in this area, and had good benifit's, but..................

They did have rules about everything.

I believe our pay and benifit's were higher because of the union, but the job was barely tolerable because the management treated us like we were their enemy. The constant tension between the union and managment caused the drivers alot of headaches.

We were expected to do many other task's besides simply driving the truck. We were even expected to change tires on the truck and trailer when they blew while on the road. They supplied spares, jacks and breaker bars.

Unloading freight was expected at certain customers too.

I'm glad to be gone from that job. The money and beni's didn't make up for the hostile work enviroment. I don't know that if it would've been different without the union though.:beatsme

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
In my lifetime, I've seen at least 3 different companies either close the doors due to the union workers' antics, or close the doors due to greed on the workers' part.

I'm not speaking out against them totally; I'd take a union job in an instant if it kept me sleeping in my own bed every night nowadays. I have just been around one too many dispute or unecessary deal with union woes that I'm still a little hesitant.

There are very few men in my opinion, that are getting paid union scale, and have adopted the union's " I ain't doin' that, it ain't MY job..." mentality, that are worth their wage. Like what was mentioned earlier in this thread, if it's a matter of completing a job in another 15 minutes or even a stinking 1/2 hour to eliminate an arse ache the following morning, then 9 times out of 10 a civil minded man will do what it takes to get it done. I've seen the incomplete version one too many times with my own eyes...

Don't misunderstand...not knocking the brotherhood or anything...just simply stating the solemn truth. I know the old blocklayers' rule: If there are more than 12 drops of rain on an 8" X 16" concrete block, it's quitting time no matter what time they started working. Meanwhile, I'm the one down in the ditch,(non-union, trying to support my family,) in the rain with my shoes 4 times the size from the clay stuck to them, trying to finish up the footing drains...

It's a double-edged sword I guess.:cool2

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
In my lifetime, I've seen at least 3 different companies either close the doors due to the union workers' antics, or close the doors due to greed on the workers' part.

I'm not speaking out against them totally; I'd take a union job in an instant if it kept me sleeping in my own bed every night nowadays.

There are very few men in my opinion, that are getting paid union scale, and have adopted the union's " I ain't doin' that, it ain't MY job..." mentality, that are worth their wage.
It's a double-edged sword I guess.:cool2

10-4 :iagree

I often wonder how some people can stay in business today with all the milking/gravy sucking that goes on?

But people will be greedy and do as little as possible on both union and non union jobs.
It happens everywhere.
Things like pride, honesty and good work ethics have all but gone down the toilet.
Thats why I prefer to be a employee and not an employer.
I'd fire them faster than I could find them.
When I do work my own jobs, I mostly work alone.
Good help is hard to find. :deadhorse

We just got another pay raise a few months ago.
What worries me is that unions will price themselves right out of a job.
I've seen many people who aren't worth the money they get paid.
It's them that motivates me to do the absolute best job that I can do.
:cool2

FRodriguez

Whats with the minority thing in the union ..... Why cant i just be an American .... Why does it have to be Cuban- American or mexican American ... Why cant i just be an american ... I believe There are no such things as minorities here in the U.S Just Americans and Illegals .... I think Its so much BS that just beacuse of last name they will give me a Good job over someone how who is more qualified ... Really pisses me off :pointhead :beatsme

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
10-4 :iagree

I often wonder how some people can stay in business today with all the milking/gravy sucking that goes on?

You're the exception to the rule as far as work ethic and the other attributes you mentioned. Like I said, I've been on countless jobs with and without union laborers, and you see the difference plain as day in the environment. I'm a "bull in the china closet" type of worker. Put my head down and charge into anything.(Within reason, and with good sense, of course. This is just an example.)
Whatever it takes to get it done, do it and to the end. My Uncle which served in the Korean War was a Field Sargeant in the Army in the construction/demolition/rebuilding fields. He said they had a saying that I personally love and try to live by: "The difficult takes time...the IMPOSSIBLE takes just a little bit longer..."
I can relate to your attitude as a union worker moreso than average. Stick to yourself, apply yourself, give it your all. That'll keep you in the game every time.
When I get around these primadonna's that won't lift a finger for anything more than they're programmed to do, I want to vomit. A good size grocery warehouse/trucking co. in Ct. just got a wakeup call last year on this topic. The drivers were needling the union about everything. They weren't rolling down landing gear anymore, so the company spent a furtune on motorized landing gear that you push a button and they go up & down. They were fitting the 5th wheels with automatic pin releases from inside the cab. (Come on...you want a nipple for your coffee cup too, boys?) It all caught up with them at the end of the year when the company moved the whole operation to Mass. and a large number of those primadonnas were out of a job. It's going to be tough to find another one with automatic landing gear and 5th wheel latch releases I'd imagine...Especially the ones with Hummer and Escalade payments...:cool2

Last edited by a moderator:

PSDF350

That is why so much is outsourced nowadays. It is cheaper to ship materials out to be made into something in say china then ship it back. Than to make locally. Case in point look at how much timber is exported, then finished product ie: furniture cabanets even flooring, especailly veneer. China pays more for the veneer to than local.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Don't get me wrong theres a lot of times unions can mess things up. But for the most part if you get a good group of guys your all set. My guys will do anything for me and I'll d anything for them. Throw them bonuses here and there, nice machines to run simple things like that help out to keep morale up.