• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Unions.... What is your thoughts on them?

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
Hey Guys I was just wondering what you feelings are on unions like local operators union like the one we have in CT here? Are they any good or should I stay Far away from them. See I was going to fill out the application in December for ther apprenticship program they are starting in march 06, But i want to get the genral feeling of if this is a good way to get training on running equipment. I was suppose to got to the school In FL but had to drop out because of Ihave been and still is dealing with health problems with my father. But a friend told me about the local union in Ct here (local 478 operator engineers) and I figured I would ask your guys opinion. The apprenticship is 4 years and they training ranges from skid steers all the way up to when you complete it you get you crane Liscense. So give me your opinions good or bad I want honest ones so I can make a good descion on this. and as always guys thanks.

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Why not work for a non-union company and start learning on the machines there? Where i work, i drive a truck full time, but theres always a chance to hop on a piece of equipment and load myself, or they'll send me to run a machine at a job for a few days.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
This is one of the options that I am looking at for when I finish college. The guy that I talked to from our local union (825) in the summer said that things were very slow for them. If they are slow in the summer then what is the winter going to be like? Like anything there are positives and negatives. Some days it would mean a 2 hour commute and with the price of gas, it would almost make more sense to work at McDonalds, however I would not be responsible for the purchase and maintenance of equipment. If they have openings and consistent work it is probably a very good way to get experience on equipment and save up to buy your own stuff eventually.

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
im union and have been since 97.

i got lucky on getting in.
i was hired on thru a permit to a company that i spent 5 years with.

the boss really took a liking to me and helped me get my card.

as far as the appernticeship program goes its a good learning experince.
the down fall is there will be 200 or more applicants.. and only 5 postions.

thats justa guess but i bet its not far off.

good luck
payton

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
BKrois said:
Why not work for a non-union company and start learning on the machines there? Where i work, i drive a truck full time, but theres always a chance to hop on a piece of equipment and load myself, or they'll send me to run a machine at a job for a few days.

That would be great but belive it or not I have applyed to numrous companines and got the same answer from all of them "YOU NEED EXPERINCE" well now how the hell do I get the experince if No one will give me the chance and hire me. Its like you need experince to get the job but they will not give you the job with out experince. :spaz :spaz

LaLaMan

Not operating engineers bit im IBEW Local 164

I love my union and I had 2 years of working non union and id never go back, willingly at least.

I still plan to go out on my own, and id hire union labor.

Their training for any construction union is always top notch. And saftey is ALWAYS number 1 on ANY union job.

If you can get in, go for it. Just plan on not working 2080 hours every single year, sometimes more, some times less. Its feast or famine in this game.

cat320

Charter Member
LaLaMan said:
Not operating engineers bit im IBEW Local 164

I love my union and I had 2 years of working non union and id never go back, willingly at least.

I still plan to go out on my own, and id hire union labor.

Their training for any construction union is always top notch. And saftey is ALWAYS number 1 on ANY union job.

If you can get in, go for it. Just plan on not working 2080 hours every single year, sometimes more, some times less. Its feast or famine in this game.

You must be planning on going after alot of big jobs when you go out on your own.I know I would not hire uninon for small projects I have had to work with alot of union guys and to be quite honest they where lazy or maybe a better phrase would be dragging there feet on the job.Or when quitting time came it was quitting time even if they could finish a job that would take another 15 min , even if there was nonuion people working beside them .

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
unions are both good and bad.

im union but if the right oppurtunity(sp) came along id take it union or non.

there are a lot of guys who live and breath by the union. but then again theres guys out there who do what ever it takes to get the job done.

its all about the individual.

and feast of fammine is the truth. some years its gold other years your thinking to yourself damn i could make more at mcdonalds.

payton

LaLaMan

You must be planning on going after alot of big jobs when you go out on your own.I know I would not hire uninon for small projects I have had to work with alot of union guys and to be quite honest they where lazy or maybe a better phrase would be dragging there feet on the job.

The union shines when it comes to big jobs, thats why it works the way it does, and like I said training is what we are all about. And ya know what, in this country most Americanized Americans are pretty lazy, in every aspect of life, drive thoughs, fast food, TV dinners, ect, its the American way, its too bad. Im not lazy but I wont keep up with some border jumper either, I dont have to im educated.

Or when quitting time came it was quitting time even if they could finish a job that would take another 15 min , even if there was nonuion people working beside them .

TO me, quitting time, means just that, if its another 15 min today then its 15 min the next day, we work exactly to what our contract says, which is 8 hours a day, no more, no less (well if it is more, then its OT)

Last edited by a moderator:

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
LaLaMan said:
if its another 15 min today then its 15 min the next day,
I think that the difference may be that tomorrow's 15min of work will be after 30min of checking the dozer or unpacking the rakes and shovels or whatever you were doing which then is 45min on the clock v. 15min. Sounds like the 2 views are from the guy who owns the business v. the guy who works for the business. Both are valid.
That said - I think that unions are very much needed to act as a "circuit breaker" against big corporations getting too greedy or too powerful and taking advantage of their workers. I'd also guess that the union being in place protecting it's members is also helping similar non members get a decent wage and that is part of what makes the "border jumpers" jump the borders...
Ouch - too much thinking. Need Bourbon...

cat320

Charter Member
Or when quitting time came it was quitting time even if they could finish a job that would take another 15 min , even if there was nonuion people working beside them .

TO me, quitting time, means just that, if its another 15 min today then its 15 min the next day, we work exactly to what our contract says, which is 8 hours a day, no more, no less (well if it is more, then its OT)

Well it was that type of thing that made this co say never agin for any union people.Especially when they hired movers and such to more the furniture for these union carpet installers. And they said pretty much what you said it's quitting time.So needless to say for another 15 min the movers had to come back that were willing to stay to finish and get the bussiness back in bussiness and needless to say they cost the co. more money all around.

I had to do work some work where union guys where and they screwed me up because of that same thought hey we are on the clock we can't get fired.so they made me have to work longer and harder.So to be hounest back in the 20's maybe it was good to have unions but now i thing they cost us money as most of the stuff that comes here is from tiwain,china and japan.

And if i had to work some where where there are union I will not do it or will have to charge more for the time that will be wsted not be me but them.

LaLaMan

Well it was that type of thing that made this co say never agin for any union people.Especially when they hired movers and such to more the furniture for these union carpet installers. And they said pretty much what you said it's quitting time.So needless to say for another 15 min the movers had to come back that were willing to stay to finish and get the bussiness back in bussiness and needless to say they cost the co. more money all around.

I had to do work some work where union guys where and they screwed me up because of that same thought hey we are on the clock we can't get fired.so they made me have to work longer and harder.So to be hounest back in the 20's maybe it was good to have unions but now i thing they cost us money as most of the stuff that comes here is from tiwain,china and japan.

And if i had to work some where where there are union I will not do it or will have to charge more for the time that will be wsted not be me but them.

The intresting thing is that if your company does not bid the bigger jobs that might require union labor, isnt that sort of putting the nail in the coffen? As a unorganized worker, knowing that if we oraganize and I can get more money, better benifits, training and a pension, why would I not organize? True not all union workers are worth their wage, that is why they are unemployed. But I worked non union and now im union my work habbits have not changed, im still a hard worker, many of us do pride ourselves in an honest days work, so please dont sterotype all of us.

Why you do only smaller jobs, playing people under prevailing wage, some employees might have the brains to say "hey whats stopping me from going out on my own?" In my area small time tree, excavating, landscaping/landscape construction companies are a dime a dozen. now. It used to be 50 bucks to get our driveway cleared when there was alot of snow, now some Mexican can come by in a beat up truck and and i can get it done for $15, if not less for it; I dont go that route b/c my buddie plows, but why pay $50, who cares that the legit contractor is insured, and is legit, all I know if I want the snow off my drive way. What happend is these guys came to this country illeagly and worked for people, and then went out on their own and are doing cheaper then anyone else can/ Some small construction companies that dominated this area, and where extablished 40-50 years ago are not the forces in the market they used to be. Now the other problem is, and it was just in the paper today, the illeagals that are employed by some the owners of theses companies are getting robbed in their own houses by the illeagal worker turned criminal. When we get laid off we dont go and find the ownered wife and try to kidnap her for randsom. http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15677209&BRD=1918&PAG=461&dept_id=506414&rfi=6

cat320

Charter Member
many of us do pride ourselves in an honest days work, so please dont sterotype all of us.

Well I didn't say that your not an honest hard working guy but all they guys that I have seen or had to deal with had that attitude. Plus another union carpenter that i knoew siad if he didn't hold some sign for an election he would not be on the hireing list?? so you don't like this guy but have to hold a sign for him what is that? Just all the dealings that I have had where not favorable.It might work for some places and people.
I'm more or less a one guy operation so if theres no employees that are getting underpaid and any other workers are subs that I get so no problem with being under paid they just won't work for me if that is the case.

If it's working for ya keep it going . it just doesn't work for me .

Occupation
Local 150 Operating Engineer
I am 36 years old and I am a 16 year member of Local 150 Operating Engineers. First of all I challange anyone to match the training we get. Our state of the art training site has every peice of equipment you can run. Even as a Journeyman I go out to the training site to improve my skills. One of my teachers is my Father who has 48 years in Local 150 running equipment. Many people like to bash the Unions but Nobody would make the money they make if it were 'nt for the Unions. When I go to work I do 8 hours work for 8 hours pay. United we stand devided we beg.

Sled Puller

Occupation
IUOE 66

After 13 years, I like to have the option of telling a contractor to stick it, and go out the next day, same pay, different job.

Of course, they have that option too!LOL :usa

Don't mistake the Operators union for UAW, you have to produce or you are down the road.

Work summers, winters off, can't beat it.

Good an bad.

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
Well guys I appricate the replyies and I filled out the application, and took there mechanical apptitude test last week and I should know in january some time. Wish me luck I hope everything goes good for me and if i get in I will try to absorb the good parts of it and try to ingnore the bad parts. :usa :usa

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I hope it works out well for you.

I'm probably going to fill out an application for my local union around January. What kind of things did they ask on the test? I imagine the questions are pretty similar between different unions and it would be helpful to have a general idea of what they ask. Thanks

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
honestly if you have any and i do mean any common sense you will have know problem what so ever. At least with the one i took for local 478 in ct it was question like if you had a 40ft tall tank and two 20 ft tall tanks which will hold the most or are they the same well i think we can all figure out the answer. mine had questions like that. Another one that comes to mind is two guys are carrying a board over there shoulders and there is a rock will say on that board and it is closer to the guy in the front the question is who is carrying more weight the guy in the back or the guy in the front with the rock right behind him. I think again we can figure out the answer.

But like i said before if you have common sense you will do fine. At least this is the one i took in ct so yours might be diffrent.