• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

caycusion

I'll post up a couple pics of the last longline tomorrow....we were told if we kept costs under 20$ a meter then they would keep running it.....costs were $18 or less the whole setting..the rest is history....when we were on the 51-55 in granite 0400. we were getting between 45-50 turns a day...they wanted 6 meters a turn.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Thanks for sharing the knowledge caycusion , But I've got a question for you I watched the longlines when ever I was hauling from them . In the begining they seemed to go like clock work , but after a couple of years ,things like the drums on the skycar for the tong line started giving them problems ,maybe from putting to much line on them ? Were they making the road lines to wide and reaching to far from the skycar?

dirty4fun

More great pictures and information. Had to be something to see the logs coming down to the landing, take some good people paying close attention to make that all work, it would seem like. Thanks for sharing!

camptramp

Occupation
wm Timberwest HBO Loading logs from the Hemmingsen longline setting ,that were to big for regular logging trucks on a lowbed . The fellow in the wheel chair is the late Frank Eddy about the toughest man I ever worked with . After suffering a horrendous falling accident in the 1980's that left him closer to heaven than earth , he put him self back to gether both mentally and physically ,and went back to work . At the time of the picture he was doing the paper work keeping track of where loads were going when they left the DLSIMG logs 41.jpgIMG logs 42.jpgIMG logs 43.jpgIMG logs 44.jpgIMG logs 45.jpg

Sigurd

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all,as a former logger on VI in the late sixties and early seventies i very much appreciate all the pics and stories from you gentlemen!
Sigurd

camptramp

Occupation
Merry christmas and a happy new year to all,as a former logger on VI in the late sixties and early seventies i very much appreciate all the pics and stories from you gentlemen!
Sigurd
From one "TIMBERBEAST" to another have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

caycusion

Thanks for sharing the knowledge caycusion , But I've got a question for you I watched the longlines when ever I was hauling from them . In the begining they seemed to go like clock work , but after a couple of years ,things like the drums on the skycar for the tong line started giving them problems ,maybe from putting to much line on them ? Were they making the road lines to wide and reaching to far from the skycar?
The yarders they bought got some money spent on them....the bomans not so much...we had a lot of carriage break downs.On the fairy lake setting we had to yard 2 roads worth off 1 road due to the fact they couldn't depend on the horse to make it thru a change...it was close to a 1000 ft wide rd....had to cable down damn near the ground to get enuff tong line...pulled our guts out.

camptramp

Occupation
wm Timberwest HBO office at Gordon River camp . The office was originally built by WFI the company that previously logged in the Gordon River Valley . I think they shut down around 1981 . When BCFP took over the office and shop at Gordon River as well as the DLS at honeymoon Bay in 1983 . There was a youg Engineer over seeing the camp renovations . I guess he didn't have much experience with floor plans and building lay outs . There was one doorway in the office he kept having the carpenter move , it got to be the camp joke .The carpenter would get on the computer bus to go home in the afternoon , someone would ask ,did you move that doorway again ,he would sigh ,yes I moved it again . After several moves of a foot that way six inches this way it ended up about where they first stIMG 61.jpgarted.

Last edited: