• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Go to BC equipment left to rust page 20 posting #287 I think thats the yarder plywoodtop is talking about.

I'm no expert, but that beast appears to be diesel powered. I had it pegged for an old twin-engine Skagit, but that was just a guess.

I knew that Lidgerwood also made steampot sled donkeys, but I was not aware that they ever made anything more recent in diesel or gas-powered machines. Perhaps I need to do some more digging. Thanks.

Vigilant

Occupation
yup that's the one...there is also an older donkey carriage right beside it....I think it still has a roof on it too....

Here is a photo of the last true Lidgerwood tower skidder......Lidgerwood Prime.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Besides having a boiler and swinging boom, it also travels on rails, not steel wheels. This is one magnificent beast IMHO. This photo was taken when it was first set up at Camp 6 Logging Museum at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma. I saw it for the first time shortly after this photo was taken.

It now rests in pieces, to be reassembled and hopefully painted, at the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits, CA.

69hayes

Occupation
Marine Engineer,
You don't realise how big these machines
are till you see those pictures with the crew standing by them

Vigilant

Occupation
I heard somewhere that it took 15 men to run a Lidgerwood setting, including setting chokers, powering and operating the machine, working the landing and working the tongs. Longest lengths a Lidgerwood could handle was 65 feet, instead of the usual 80 foot logs, so their bucking costs went up a but, but they apparently made up for it and then some in productivity. I believe that beast weighs right at a million pounds IIRC.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Nice photos WFP1561! What is the tire size on the 075? Any more photos of the work being done on this 075? Just can never post too many!

Keep going,
Ap40

HDX

Sigurd By all means BLK PRINCE Couldn't stand it anymore so I went ahead and made a set of hood skirts up at home and hauled them down to SARITA and put them on!!! I had to use aluminum rivets instead of the copper ones because I cant get copper rivets anymore. Went out to the Martin Mars water bomber base to ask about them getting them still but no luck! Will keep looking because when her and I retire I have to make up a new hood as well as new side panels. When HFS did the rebuild they shortened the hood by 6 inches--3 inches on each end so-- sad as that may be it will get set aside or returned to IPL. Did you happen to notice anything missing on the front bumper??? Now those oversize cable steps will vanish and reappear in the scrap bin. Just gotta get a couple chunks of haulback and spend a little time making the new ones up.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
I did see bumper restored to original-nice work.I see Don Yates in our shop often,I could ask him about copper rivets,what is size?

BTC

H-17

I'm just looking forward to the day she goes back to her original colours. I have some space on the wall set aside for the occasion.