• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Some thefts boggle the mind.Timberwest took delivery of 2 Mack log trucks.One parked in Ladysmith,driver John Carmichael, starts from here,does walk around and all 8 drive tires are gone,at least it was left on blocks.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Vigilant No its old growth red cedar. We don't get involved with the pis#-pot trucks and the second growth. Every now and then we will get sent into a second growth loader and haul a load of camp run but for the most part there is a uneasy tolerance between highway trucks and the REAL TRUCKS!!! They cant function without calling at every Christmas tree on the road both empty and loaded whereas we drive like there is a loaded truck around every corner. The loaded truck calls and has the right of way and the empty truck listens and gets out of the way-- Very simple Not rocket science no need for a bunch of radio pollution. Black Prince Sometimes depending on where you end up you have to leave the truck where ever with the load on. At Franklin we use to stand the load up on its legs over nite or on a weekend but with things the way they are today you just park. It gets bad sometimes when you have to leave your truck in the bush or along the mainline like maybe old Camp"B" on a weekend because you can be sure that at least the fuel tank will take a hit and anything you have in the truck will be gone, Cripes even the cinch lines and cinch bars will disappear off the load. One of the timber sale contract trucks a few years ago was parked on Northfork Main and they came out on Monday morning and a couple trailer tires and wheel wedges even the spacer was gone. These were 1400:X25 tires. NOT SAFE IN THE FOREST ANYMORE!!!

People from the forest industry stealing from each other to keep their businesses going is a sure sign that the big timber thieves have driven the rates to rock bottom. I hope they are proud of what they have done in the name of generating a return for themselves and possibly their shareholders. I am sure there is a special place in h__l reserved for all of them. The sooner they go to their eternal reward the better as far as I am concerned. Let them burn.

HDX

DBDLS I could not agree more. We are stuck with a couple "KNAPSACKERS" as a good friend calls them They live out of a knap sack and steal everything they can!! This is for sure NOT the industry we all grew up in. Industry says they cant find people to work in the forest anymore DUHHH I think the thing that pis#'s me off the worst is when they steal the first aid kits! Company radio's can be replaced as well as the rigging and stuff but come on A FIRST AID KIT Guys lives depend on that very kit for help. Do you remember when it was a firing offence if you got caught stealing one ???

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Last year at Ingersol one of our log dumps some one came on the weekend and stole all the wheels off the Ambulance .Took all the tires and spare tire, they also took all the lug nuts and hubcaps. Just last Thursday we had our lowbed parked just out side McNeills shop across the Highway.The driver showed up at 5 am only to find someone came and stolid all the head lights off the truck they were LED ones $800 worth . I had to drive in front of the lowbed with my crummie to light the way, until he had enough light to see. **** weeds every where now, time to start spraying for them.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
HDX,can you still lock doors on "
The 17"? At Marpole yard in Nanaimo,driver comes in for 6:00am,unlocks door and finds driver's seat has been taken ,unbolted from the floor,then door locked again.

dirty4fun

That is bad when they steal even the first aid kit. Can't something be done to slow or stop all the thieves? I have put a game camera up when I left my excavator in town on a demo job. Only a few pictures of me and a couple of some kids looking around like kids do.

Lots of great pictures and information thanks everyone!

HDX

Yes-- funny as it sounds I lock the doors every nite LOL old habits. No to all the trucks working There is usually 16 big ones working every day and a few spares standing by. A couple are waiting to go down to the Chemainus rebuild shop and get some attention before going back into action. As for the dispatcher YES we have one of our old drivers Gary Cathers was hired by WFP to be the dispatcher. He dispatch's the highway trucks as well as the off-highway trucks. I don't know how many highway trucks there are but there is LOTS!!! Somebody asked what IPL was like to work for!!! Well I have worked for them for 6 years and it has been some of the best years in my career. All they ask is for you to do your job Do it safely and look after your equipment. SIMPLE!!! In todays logging industry there is very few companies that have an owner that has a hands on approach to its daily operation. I enjoy working for them!!!

HDX

camptramp Im thinking that when the 40-140 went down to the ex-Hayes Forest Shop to be rebuilt in 2010 the front bumper might have been changed while it was being rebuilt by them for IPL I know they(Hayes Forest) had a P16 that was scrapped after an accident on the carmannah Main Line around 2007. Unit # T461 went over the bank and was damaged pretty bad bringing her back up They made the decision to part her out and the frame was still there about the time 160 was there so it could very well be that it got changed for cosmetic reasons.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Yes-- funny as it sounds I lock the doors every nite LOL old habits. No to all the trucks working There is usually 16 big ones working every day and a few spares standing by. A couple are waiting to go down to the Chemainus rebuild shop and get some attention before going back into action. As for the dispatcher YES we have one of our old drivers Gary Cathers was hired by WFP to be the dispatcher. He dispatch's the highway trucks as well as the off-highway trucks. I don't know how many highway trucks there are but there is LOTS!!! Somebody asked what IPL was like to work for!!! Well I have worked for them for 6 years and it has been some of the best years in my career. All they ask is for you to do your job Do it safely and look after your equipment. SIMPLE!!! In todays logging industry there is very few companies that have an owner that has a hands on approach to its daily operation. I enjoy working for them!!!

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that there is at least one decent outfit left up your way, but I am also puzzled. Isn't IPL owned by Weyco? The atmosphere you described is not true to form for Weyco itself in this day and age.

caycusion

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that there is at least one decent outfit left up your way, but I am also puzzled. Isn't IPL owned by Weyco? The atmosphere you described is not true to form for Weyco itself in this day and age.
no..

HDX

OH BOY I think our owner just had the big one!!! Weyco is long gone from the logging up this way Vigilant. Too bad they did what they did up here in the forest industry. No- IPL is a single owner with long standing ties to the Forest Industry. He is what I guess you would call "OLD SCHOOL". When a couple of us decided to put on the Hayes Truck 90th Anniversary Truck Show here in Port Alberni back in 2012 he rolled up his sleeves and pulled out the stops to help us. He and his oldest son single handedly restored one of the early Hayes HDX's with a fire tanker on it. His highway low-bed with Chad Hopps (the driver ) went back and forth with trucks and equipment all week. It was people like them that made the show as good as it was.

69hayes

Occupation
Marine Engineer,
Hats off to all of you that put on such a great show, can't wait for the next one, 95 or 100 year reunion ?

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
OH BOY I think our owner just had the big one!!! Weyco is long gone from the logging up this way Vigilant. Too bad they did what they did up here in the forest industry. No- IPL is a single owner with long standing ties to the Forest Industry. He is what I guess you would call "OLD SCHOOL". When a couple of us decided to put on the Hayes Truck 90th Anniversary Truck Show here in Port Alberni back in 2012 he rolled up his sleeves and pulled out the stops to help us. He and his oldest son single handedly restored one of the early Hayes HDX's with a fire tanker on it. His highway low-bed with Chad Hopps (the driver ) went back and forth with trucks and equipment all week. It was people like them that made the show as good as it was.

Sorry about that. My mistake.

As much as I cherish the fond memories of growing up around Weyco in the Twin harbors area, and also at Vail, it turns my stomach to see what they have become, and what they did to Mac & Blo. Stinking bean counters.