• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Sorry about that. My mistake.

As much as I cherish the fond memories of growing up around Weyco in the Twin harbors area, and also at Vail, it turns my stomach to see what they have become, and what they did to Mac & Blo. Stinking bean counters.

Dirty rotten Weyerhaeuser...just came to BC to wreck the best company in the woods. 'Any thing but Weyerhaeuser for me when I buy paper or wood products. Probably doesn't make much difference other than I feel better.

Hey, is anyone else having trouble posting quick replies? 'You are not authorized to do this action' is what I keep getting even when I am logged in. Gets me tired of pecking out the same response multiple times. If it doesn't like me why doesn't tell me when I start typing instead of when I am done?

dirty4fun

When I hit the post quick reply sometimes it says do I want to leave this page. If you say yes it usually posts your reply. If in doubt I high light my post and hit the control and c button that saves what you have high lighted, then hit the control v button when you want it to pastes what you saved with the control c. Sure beat typing it all out again.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Dirty rotten Weyerhaeuser...just came to BC to wreck the best company in the woods. 'Any thing but Weyerhaeuser for me when I buy paper or wood products. Probably doesn't make much difference other than I feel better.

Hey, is anyone else having trouble posting quick replies? 'You are not authorized to do this action' is what I keep getting even when I am logged in. Gets me tired of pecking out the same response multiple times. If it doesn't like me why doesn't tell me when I start typing instead of when I am done?
It wasn't just Wyco the whole industry seemed to find a way to thrash the moral of the workers . Professor John Mann made a foutune traveling from company to company belittleing the working man . After our Liberal government rewrote the labour laws in favor of big buisiness.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
It wasn't just Wyco the whole industry seemed to find a way to thrash the moral of the workers . Professor John Mann made a foutune traveling from company to company belittleing the working man . After our Liberal government rewrote the labour laws in favor of big buisiness.

That's kind of the impression I got as well.

There was a John Mann with Weyco years ago. I wonder if he is the same SOB as the one you mentioned...

camptramp

Occupation
Was he a Marine Vet from the Vietam War , former Professor of Forestry , left his heart in south east Aisa , very arrogant ,and unfortunatly very smart and ruthless. If so, probably the same guy . Their were a lot of good guys that never came back from came home from Vietam my heart goes out to them , its a real shame.

caycusion

john mann damn near got more than he bargained for at the naniamo lakes we're getting rid of you meeting.

Vigilant

Occupation
Was he a Marine Vet from the Vietam War , former Professor of Forestry , left his heart in south east Aisa , very arrogant ,and unfortunatly very smart and ruthless. If so, probably the same guy . Their were a lot of good guys that never came back from came home from Vietam my heart goes out to them , its a real shame.

This guy?

http://www.westernforest.com/business-value/leadership/

Scroll on down to John Mann. He got his BS at WVU, the same place as my dad got his.

Looks like the same guy. Here is a copy of his resume:

http://deansoffice.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/Resume_John Mann.pdf

He was with Weyco Twin Harbors many years after my dad transferred to Vail in 1969. I don't believe I ever met him, but I do recall hearing Dad mention his name. I have no idea what my dad thought of him, but Dad had absolutely no appetite for BS politics.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
On the second page, his entry from 3/94 to 7/97 shows him at Raymond/Pe Ell. Raymond is the next operation below Twin Harbors. I thought it was part of Twin Harbors, but I guess not. Pe Ell is the next operation east of Raymond, and the sister camp to Vail, where my dad was. I used to hear a lot of radio traffic from Pe Ell coming through on the Vail channel. Especially their primary lokie, the legendary Engine 684.

I guarantee you, Contract Logger aka Rusty Grapple knows him. CL spent a few years at Vail himself, as his Weyco thread and other threads illustrate.

Last edited:

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
There was a John Mann or Mahn that was with M&B and later Weyerhauser, he was the manager in the Charlottes from I think 92 to about 97. He was about 6'4" and seemed to be a decent guy. We started calling him the " missing Mahn" because his wife was living in Vancouver for the first couple of years and he would fly back to see her regularly. I don't think he was old enough to have been in Vietnam though. I think after he left the Charlottes he was partly retired and doing work with the Woodlands office in Nanaimo. He showed up at Eve River once with some other big wigs for a tour, and actually recognized me. That would have been about two or three years after I left the Charlottes.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Believe it or not, I recall seeing him at Vail, in about 1971. I recall my dad saying that he had just come back from Viet Nam, and had received combat decorations. He drove a beat-up Chevy 3/4 ton that came from Pe Ell. I have no idea what he was doing with Weyco back then, but I do remember him. he had hair back then. Not sure if he had specific business at Vail. Every time I recall seeing him, he stopped at the gas pump, and came in and chit-chatted with my dad. Seemed like he was just in the area for a few months.

Small world, eh?

HDX

camptramp Guess what!!!! Another John Mann resurfaced and came on with Western Forest Products in ALBERNI just a short while ago. He is here to help fix WFP (Alberni Region). Seems it needs fixing Wonder how many of these John Manns are out there ??? Cant say I ever met him With Industry so worried about no new young fellas coming into the industry ,Why would they bring in "HEAD HUNTERS" again. Remember the Canoe Race joke from many years ago!!! I think every company had one with their name on it Somebody has still got a copy of one of these stashed away somewhere .

camptramp

Occupation
HDX check out Vigilant's 1128 posting the grime reaper has been flying low but hasn't left town . When Timberwest was formed with Kieth Purchase as CEO things didn't look to bad . Doug Mosher as manager in our area worked with the crew to make things better. And things did get better timberwest got good production , we were making a good living , we had good equipment . As things went along we got things like truck wash's to make our jobs easier morale was as high as it had been in years. Paul M took over as CEO , it was like flushing the toilet every thing Mosher and the crew had accompished in 5 or 6 years was in a down hill spiral . Hell of a legacy to leave behind , I'll always have a lot more respect for Doug Mosher than the back benchers behind their mahogany desks in their Ivory Towers . Hits to the working man just keep on coming , good luck.

Vigilant

Occupation
I believe my father said he was discharged because he got shot up pretty badly in a helicopter. Dad also told me once that he had lived a hard life. It showed in him back then. He looked tough as nails, but also like he had been run over by a truck.

Emotional scars do not excuse people like he has become, but they certainly do give us some idea as to how they got to be that way.

God help you, John Mann.

Vigilant

Occupation
Have y'awl ever heard of another gent from Twin Harbors named Daryl Sorenson? He seemed like a good man. Worked with my dad surveying. I heard he went up to Alaska, but that he eventually drifted back south.

camptramp

Occupation
JW Carley Logging Gordon River Operation contracting for WFI . BCFP VET are you still out there , there was some controversy on the BCFP thread as to what name Wesley "Chum" Carley went by . I got this from John Walker long time employee ,woods foreman for Chum Carley . If you knew him in his youth or ran into him in a coffee shop in Langford or out on one of his logging sides , he was Chum Carley , if you knew him from his Navy day's or at his home or had dealing's with him in his buisnesses,scan433.jpgscan434.jpgscan435.jpgscan436.jpgscan437.jpg out side of logging and road building ,he was Wesley Carley.