• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Looks like two different trucks. One looks like an old 80 series B Model Mack. B81 or B83 perhaps?

Also, I would have probably raised a stink about the load in the last photo. If I was heavy on one side, I wanted it to be on the driver's side.

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Looks good , you must have a lot of hours in your Diamond T . When I met Butch it was around 1970 and that Diamond T was his truck for his House Moving and Lowbed service . Around 1973 he started to up grade to Kenworth's, E Nixon had a Diamond T they used for a ramp truck to carry their 450 John Deere around on , I don't know what became of them. Butch was a genuine character , when cancer got him a few years ago , some of his friends wanted to do something to pay tribute to their old friend . A Truck Parade through Victoria ,out the Pat Bay highway to Sidney where his Memorial was to be , some inquiries were made and word came you guys are not allowed to do such a thing. Perfect , what would Butch do ? A friend of mine invited me to ride along in his Gravel truck . We gathered at Ogden Point . Butch's two Kenworth's led us out of the parking lot on to Dallas Road , on to Douglas Street right through down town Victoria out to Sidney . Butch would have loved it 90 plus trucks of every description motoring through town , even the Victoria Police slowed down to give us a wave.

There is along story behind my Diamond T but I will keep it short.It was purchased by my father from old man King in Vancouver in 1968.My dad died at a young age and I inherited the truck in 1988.The restoration was done by me...I have been looking at that truck and sitting in it since I was nine years old.I am now 54.The hours involved and the trucks current value were never thought about..I did it for my dad............please excuse the Chevy's...They were my brothers..I like the parade story.....I would have done the same..........Cory aab.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Hang in there and get the Diamond T finished ,its looking good ,your dad's probably looking down smilling, telling every body thats my boy . Don't be to critical of the blue Bow Tie I've got a 1965 Chevelle LOL . Had a few car friends over for a picnic a couple years ago.scan447.jpgscan449.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
My dad bought a brand new canary yellow '64 Chevelle SS to be our family car. Oh, the times we had in that car!

Nice looking '65, sir.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I guess its not a problem here getting off topic....I am a well known Ford guy but I like them all now.Made my living a few years ago working at a Corvette shop in North Van doing 65-67 big block cars...My brother has more cars than me and that includes a 55 and 56 Chev..
Those are nice looking Chevies that are posted here..
I purchased my 68 Fastback when I graduated in 77.It was a wreck when purchased it..I restored it in the 80's.Its been powered by a 1965 427 since 88.I currently have it on the rotisserie doing it too another level...
I also have (just about finished)a 67 Mustang Trans Am replica/clone/tribute and a 1964 Falcon 2dr pst..

As far as the Diamond T goes...It took me just under 20 years of searching the globe to find a restorable/chromeable grill.The truck is a deluxe and the grille is the focal point....

Picture of the 68 is just before I took it apart..

2004-010001.jpg

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Hi, I am restoring a 65 Chevelle SS, Butternut Yellow with Black vinyl Roof as we speak, Frame off resto, Had it acid dripped, lots of rust, BC car. Going with a 383 Stroker, M22, 12 bolt, My retirement project, restored lots of Caterpillars, this my first Car, Will get pics, Camp tramp Very nice ride, I really like the colour, not going to do mine yellow with vinyl roof, had to replace the roof on mine as was rusted thru. Ken

TimeLapse

Martin Mars
Marianas Mars BC Forestry and US Navy
[video=youtube;OyMIWnZBOxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyMIWnZBOxA[/video]

HDX

Background of the first pic post 1170 shows that same Pacific with the front end off it like maybe an engine job in progress or maybe that was her final trip!!!

camptramp

Occupation
Background of the first pic post 1170 shows that same Pacific with the front end off it like maybe an engine job in progress or maybe that was her final trip!!!

good eye HDX that would have to be a repair to truck as that picture was probably taken late 1960's or early 1970's at his Gordon R. shop. The picture of the Pacific water truck beside the BCFP #6-284 Pacific highway truck was taken in Camper Cr. around 1987.

dunwurken

Camptramp, Do you or does anyone have pictures of Carley's Skagit grapple yarder he bought from MB Shawnigan Div in about 1972. Shawnigan had two Skagits, one on a rubber carrier and the other on tracks. I believe the rubber (Y14) went to Carley and the track machine (Y40) went to Carson. This is when MB switched to 7220 Americans.

camptramp

Occupation
I thought I had already posted this one but can't find it Steve Young's picture of a Skagit SS-R grapple yarder he ran for PCB at Kokisila ,later on they put a yarding boom on it , is this the one on tracks you were wondering about.scan407.jpg

dunwurken

Thanks Camptramp. Both the Carson and Carley machines left Shawnigan as grapple yarders. Carson may have converted it to a loader as in Steve's picture then back to a grapple yarder. That loading boom looks a little overpowering in that picture. Once the snorkel was put on there wouldn't be much lift left to pick off a trailer. It may be just the angle of the picture. Everything looks right although I do not remember the cab having the swept back front window. The cabs may have been different on the two machines. I know the track machine had sliders side windows. Dwayne Larson run the Carley machine, at least when they first got it. John Walker would know for sure. It's been over 40 years. Those two grapple yarders where run double shift on one and sometimes triple shift on one of them. It was like having 5 grapple yarders running. It became quite a panic when one broke down because it was 50% of the production. It was like having two or three yarders breaking down all at once.

camptramp

Occupation
BCFP Renfrew Div. #799 Skagit SS-R grapple yarder Steve Youg ran this GY new ,Tahsis Gold R. had the first one built I beleive this is # two , this one and the mate to it from Caycusescan766.jpgscan767.jpg were sold to Carley Logging , in all Carley Logging had four Skagit SS-R GY's