• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I don't know what he did for hauling at Gordon River ,but when he was hauling from Sombio Cr. and Camper Cr. to Sooke he had Dale Arden do his hauling ,around that time (early 1980's ) he bought Gordy Dougans Kenworth to see what the hauling costs were . First time the truck had a major problem he parked it. When he hauled from Sombio Cr. and Camper Cr. to Masachie Lake then to Chemaius Hawthornthwaite did his hauling.

camptramp

Occupation
Scan598.jpg
In the post 1140 it looks like a Pacific truck,would that be correct. Would that be a WFI company truck?
I really don't know and I can't ask John Walker for a while , but here's a picture of his water truck parked in the Camper Cr. area in the mid 1980's , is it the same truck?

camptramp

Occupation
JW -- Carley Logging , Now here is a real find Legendary Victoria trucker Doug "Butch" Taylor's Diamond T hooked to a lowbed .Butch did most of Chum Carley's lowbed work . Butch was one of a kind , one summer I was laid off for fire season , and was down in Victoria beating on tires at R+R tires on Alpha St. right across the street from Butch Taylor's Shop ,anybody remember the Car and Truck Inspection Facillity on Mckenzie Ave. In the late 1960`s up into the 1980`s there was a Vehicle Inspection Facillity Station and every car and truck in the Victoria and surrounding area was required to go there to be inspected Motor Vehicle sent out notices to remined everyone to do so . If you didn`t comply you were sent another remineder then a final notice , at some point of time the Police would remove the plates off vehicle`s that didn`t comply . Butch didn`t comply with anything like that, many final notices were filed in the shop wood stove . One morning Victoria`s finest arrived and removed the licence plate off the front bumper of his Diamond T , when they walked around to the back of the truck for the second plate it wasn`t there , when they asked Butch where the second plate was he replied , your the detectives you find it. The next morning Victoria`s finest arrived and removed the second licence plate off the front bumper , Butch walked across the street laughing. I said to him , got any regrets, he said ya I didn`t weld it on . Then him and his crscan440.jpgew spent the rest of the week getting it up to code to have it inspected

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
So he had a highway tractor pulling an off-highway lowboy? That's what it looks like.

camptramp

Occupation
Butch Taylor would try just about anything and usually get away with it . Whether it was moving a house or a D8 Cat with the blade on it. Bob Richards and I pulled up in front of his house one Saturday morning just in time to meet Butch heading out the door for his pickup . Bob asked what are you up to , Butch said he had to move a garage for a Cop , what did you do now Butch , I`ll never tell . John Walker tells about the time he tried to move a Madill 009 Madill track mount tower with his highway lowbed . took the rearends out of his truck before he gave up.

HDX

camptramp That Pacific looks like one of the ELDER LOGGING trucks from down sooke way Wonder if it was originally one of their trucks. That is the push truck that came through Franklin when Chum Carley was on his way to Sarita to meet a barge with some equipment. Were these not called the EMOD Pacific. Bruce Adams has restored one down in Ladysmith

HDX

For sure BLK PRINCE Don't know what ever became of that truck. I will ask Bruce Maybe it's his one that he restored.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
JW -- Carley Logging , Now here is a real find Legendary Victoria trucker Doug "Butch" Taylor's Diamond T hooked to a lowbed .Butch did most of Chum Carley's lowbed work . Butch was one of a kind , one summer I was laid off for fire season , and was down in Victoria beating on tires at R+R tires on Alpha St. right across the street from Butch Taylor's Shop ,anybody remember the Car and Truck Inspection Facillity on Mckenzie Ave. In the late 1960`s up into the 1980`s there was a Vehicle Inspection Facillity Station and every car and truck in the Victoria and surrounding area was required to go there to be inspected Motor Vehicle sent out notices to remined everyone to do so . If you didn`t comply you were sent another remineder then a final notice , at some point of time the Police would remove the plates off vehicle`s that didn`t comply . Butch didn`t comply with anything like that, many final notices were filed in the shop wood stove . One morning Victoria`s finest arrived and removed the licence plate off the front bumper of his Diamond T , when they walked around to the back of the truck for the second plate it wasn`t there , when they asked Butch where the second plate was he replied , your the detectives you find it. The next morning Victoria`s finest arrived and removed the second licence plate off the front bumper , Butch walked across the street laughing. I said to him , got any regrets, he said ya I didn`t weld it on . Then him and his crView attachment 113945ew spent the rest of the week getting it up to code to have it inspected

Cool story......Love the big Diamond T..would look good at home here with mine.Even looks the right color..I had the RCMP take the plates off my 68 Mustang in the early 80's as I hadn't had it inspected.They even had the nerve to go in my garage to do it......Corysept0700005.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Looks good , you must have a lot of hours in your Diamond T . When I met Butch it was around 1970 and that Diamond T was his truck for his House Moving and Lowbed service . Around 1973 he started to up grade to Kenworth's, E Nixon had a Diamond T they used for a ramp truck to carry their 450 John Deere around on , I don't know what became of them. Butch was a genuine character , when cancer got him a few years ago , some of his friends wanted to do something to pay tribute to their old friend . A Truck Parade through Victoria ,out the Pat Bay highway to Sidney where his Memorial was to be , some inquiries were made and word came you guys are not allowed to do such a thing. Perfect , what would Butch do ? A friend of mine invited me to ride along in his Gravel truck . We gathered at Ogden Point . Butch's two Kenworth's led us out of the parking lot on to Dallas Road , on to Douglas Street right through down town Victoria out to Sidney . Butch would have loved it 90 plus trucks of every description motoring through town , even the Victoria Police slowed down to give us a wave.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
"What would Butch do?"

Classic. I would have loved to have been a part of that, driving a ragged out, loud old beast of a truck that was so out of code that it almost got me locked up. Emphasis on the word "almost". :D

camptramp

Occupation
Butch Taylor walked a fine line , one time in the mid 1970's Vic Paving bought a portable Asphat Batch plant in California , Butch took a Kenworth Tractor down through Port Angles to pick it up . On the way down he figured out where the scales were and and how to get around them . Picked up the Batch Plant and brought it back to Victoria through Port Angles with out crossing any scales.