• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Okay if you know the area well you would know that there is a big block of what was once timber inside of TFL 46 in the Pandora , Camper Cr. area, and a block of logged off slash between TFL 46 and WFP Jordon River on the West Coast road that was the holdings of the Powel River Co. which later became part of the M+B Co. out of Stillwater Div. The forshore rights at the mouth of the Gordon River area, that BCFP built their DLS were tied to the block of M+B timber in Camper Cr. And there was an obligtion for BCFP to handle M+B's wood when that block was logged ,when the Renfrew DLS was built. I don't know if those blocks of timber were private holdings or part of a TFL.
Carley Logging was a Union outfit when I worked for them ,the Industry Standard was Hookers and Operators were paid two thirds of an hour over and above there daily hours for being responsible and looking after your equipment Chum Carley paid two hours .Carley's Madill 009 steel tower was the nicest 009 I ever ran.
I never worked for Dale Arden Log Hauling ,don't know what their deal was, after the strike of 1986 ,I have a critical view of that company I'll keep to myself, the pictures that I'm posting were taken between 1976 -1982 .

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Wish I could be more helpfull ,I've driven a couple of Kenworths over the years , but you know a whole lot more than me about the different models. An old friend of mine Walter Cook from Sooke was lead driver for Dale Arden at the time . I jumped in with him at the Muir Cr. DLS where they were dumping and rode with him out ot Camper Cr. The truck would have been a late 1970's model , it was powered by a V8 -92 Detroit diesel and had a 15 speed rto transmission.
There are a few more pictures coming maybe that will be of some help.

Those 8V92s were some beautiful sounding engines, but many of them were also chock full of headaches.

lowbed driver

I drove a 79KW LW900 8v92 and 15 speed. It was a tractor and I pulled lowbed with it as well as high boy. I did haul 1 or two loads of logs with it. It was a nice truck to drive. That V8 would scream and I could rip thru the gears real well. Miss that truck.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Great shots again Camptramp. That is a severe service cab, easy to spot with the flat roof covered with diamond plate. Very popular in all sorts of heavy & off highway application.

Ap40

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Camptramp,did you know any of the Carley crew?

I remember Chum fondly and the last time I saw him was at Shakies at Jordan River when he insisted on paying for my hot dog.
I'd scrounged a few parts for his SST Skagit grapple yarder for him and he was grateful.
Always seemed a very nice guy to me.

R.I.P.

Take care.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
No I don't but I'll get hold of Gord and get some. I'd really like to get some pictures of it when it was K+L trucking , I'll touch base with Ross Surgenor and see if he has any of that truck or pictures of Longlune Brothers Logging. Should try Gary Kershaw , he might even have pictures of it new.

When you see Ross ask if he remembers when he and a few other Victoria racers towed all the way to a new track at the time called Tillicum Speedway (I think) near Vernon.
He set a new track record, won the trophy dash, won two heat races and then the main event.
Cleaned house.

I talked to him briefly some time after that night (I was there) and asked how much money he'd won.
The answer: $62.00 including tow money.

Check how good his memory is. LOL

Take care.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
I have a few pictures of Gord's truck but only from shows. Isn't his truck a "M&M" clone? At least I think that's what he told me...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Reg

Last edited:

HDX

I took these pictures a long time ago when we were cruising around checking trucks out. Then a couple years later we went back and Jordan River was replacingIMG_0156.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0143.JPG the LW Kenworths These trucks were in unbelievable condition and I could not figure out why they were being surplused

HDX

In 1987 Hal Fladager the Master Mechanic at Jordan River knew Vic Laughlin and I were doing everything we could to save the Hayes Trucks and told us about an old Hayes Anderson that was down at Jordan River and he made all the arrangements for us to go retrieve it. We spent the day down there with him going through all the bush's and the remains of an old shake mill property before the scrap guys came to clean it all out This is Hal with the Hayes Anderson and an old logging trailer after we loaded it on the lowbed to come to Port Alberni.
IMG_0153.JPG

HDX

RCP57 Don't matter It is a beautiful example of what those trucks looked like! Kind of a time machine. Gord has done everything he could to preserve her SHOW IT OFF!!!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
RCP57 Don't matter It is a beautiful example of what those trucks looked like! Kind of a time machine. Gord has done everything he could to preserve her SHOW IT OFF!!!

Yeah for sure! He has shared a bunch of M&M photos with me and that was a great help in finishing my mini 850. I also used pictures of his truck to have the M&M decals recreated for the model... Of course once I met Gord he told me where he had the decals made for his truck. Too bad I didn't get to meet him sooner.lol It was pretty cool to see the look on his face when I drove the model over and parked it in front of his truck at the Duncan show last year!

It would be nice to see more trucks and other machinery restored/cloned or whatever to their original company colors. Without it the history will die with the guys that operated them!

Reg