• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

HDX

There is no such thing anymore as ORIGINAL !!! Whenever somebody replaces parts on something then it is no longer Original is it??? It does not matter what is or is not the fact remains that whatever truck or piece of equipment gets restored -- it is for everybody to enjoy seeing. If you so decide to clone a truck that you remember from your youth then all the more power to you. At least you are honoring something or someone from the past. TRIBUTE TRUCKS!!!! We did my WHD Hayes as a tribute to the drivers and guys at Elk River Timber. It is also a tribute to my dad that drove a truck identical to her and it was his favorite of all the trucks he drove.

HDX

Early 30's and yes it did It is usually out at the McLean Mill show with a load of logs on it. Go onto Hankstruckpictures web site and check out TRUCK SHOWS it will be in any of the mclean mill truck show events

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Didn't Elder's have a truck like that? Or was it that truck? Now that you mention it I have seen the truck at the Mclean Mill show before but I had no idea it came from down here.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Look at the 3rd picture its being yarded in with a choker. The 2nd picture shows a strap in the teeth of the grapple lifting the log.
God forbid if that strap breaks that trailer would be junk.

Last edited:

dirty4fun

Thanks I missed the strap in the teeth, still not much holding a log that size. Guess it got the job done, but how safely is pretty questionable.

camptramp

Occupation
A 7/8 or 1 inch strap in good condition will take one hell of a lift or pull with a steady pull , its when your doing something like yarding with a TL15 Washington Trakloader without a guyline ,and you have a hang up that the Hooker doesn't want to fight . You pull into the hang up until the tracks are 4 or 5 feet off the ground , let go of the brake for a split second and catch it before the tracks touch the ground ,the hung up log jumps over what ever its hung up on or a cable breaks . Its that snap that breaks cables.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
A 7/8 or 1 inch strap in good condition will take one hell of a lift or pull with a steady pull , its when your doing something like yarding with a TL15 Washington Trakloader without a guyline ,and you have a hang up that the Hooker doesn't want to fight . You pull into the hang up until the tracks are 4 or 5 feet off the ground , let go of the brake for a split second and catch it before the tracks touch the ground ,the hung up log jumps over what ever its hung up on or a cable breaks . Its that snap that breaks cables.

In the crane world we call that "snap" shock load. It can and often does cause all sorts of damage to both big & little parts. For straps or nylon webbing, we always use a safety factor of 5. this means the weakest link in your lifting device(s) must be able to hold 5 times the weight of the object being lifted. I am always amazed at what non-crane related industry will try and succeed at using tools and practices that are at 95% or higher of capacity of that tool or device.

Ap40

dirty4fun

Sounds like quite a trick camptramp, to get the logs off a hang up. A 7/8" or 1" cable in good condition would hold a lot, but if it came off the grapple's teeth or something happened it could of got ugly real fast.

Growing up on the farm I learned that any jerk on a chain was going to break it most of the time. Had lots of practice in the spring trying to feed cattle when the frost was going out using a chain. One of the first things dad taught be to do was repair a broken chain.

camptramp

Occupation
I respect your knowledge and experience . In the woods we were given the machines and tools that were available to us and made the best of it . Usually a Model 6 Northwest grade shovel converted to a log loader or a 599 American log loader was adequate for the average log that you were handling , then every once in awhile a huge log would be yarded into the landing and you had to deal with it anyway you could . Boom up and drag it around the landing to where the truck was to be loaded then put a bunk load on the truck , and pick up the log from one end and back the truck under it picking it up as the truck backed up until it was on the truck . Thats with an off highway truck I've never put a over sized log on a highway truck . It was a lot easier with a Washington TL15 ,an 80D Northwest or 7220 American their big machines , but sometimes it still took a little wrestling to get an over size log on a load.

dirty4fun

Seeing that log on the truck you can tell much better how big it really is, that log is huge. Lots of great lumber will come out a log like that, I bet. Thanks for sharing all the pictures of it.