• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo G900 series

Grader4me

:bash I wrote an answer, and i crashed!

The fenders is original Volvo. The back ones is made specialy for the scandinavian market because we want real solid ones. Takes an hour ap to demont them all. :)

The fenders that we have(Champion) can be taken off very quickly as they are light, and mounted so that you just have to pull a few wrist pins. For god's sake man...get that computer fixed so we..or...I can continue to drive you nuts.

Thanks for all the info..very much appreciated :)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Stories and pictures

Hey Grader4me

Just wait a little. I have thousands of pictures of No engineers working abroad with heavy stuff.
Well, we dont have the realy big machinery, but we do some amaysing things sometimes.(no 994, only L180e)

I will give you a hint: Take 1500 tonns of equip, fly it to Kabul, drive it to Mazar e Shariff(north afg) and build a complete camp for 500 persons in 5 months with 70 soldiers. The Salang pas is 3200 m high.
We are very familiar with the Antonov 124 aircraft that lifts ap 100tons...:)

EquipmentEditor

Servos

Here is some more info on the servo system.
System is delivered by Volvo in Norway. Producer is svab in Sweden.
It is the same steering system as volvo delivers for excavators; controlling angle, rotating and clamp systems.(between the quickcoupler and the bucket)

MKTEF--
Does Volvo install the servos at the OEM, or does your dealer do it? Is this common for your part of the world, that is, do you think Volvo is putting servos on its machines over there in preparation for a rollout in other places?
hey told me that they had the tech, just didn't feel the NorthAmerican demand was there.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Servo system on G976

Hello:)

The Servo system is mounted at the producer svab.
Volvo Norway uses a Swedish dealer for the preparation of the graders before delivering and this dealer and svab "lives" next door in the same industrial area.
I am getting a additional Volvo user instruction on the system from Volvo Norway....:)

I did put preasure on the Canadian representative about this topic at Euromat last year.
He didn't want to admit anything else than, that "they had testet different systems in Canada".;)
It is a little bit complicated this system, because it is a elektro-Hydraulik-manual-hydraulik system. Meaning it is a hydraulik sylinder that moves the original Volvo hydraulics.

My opinion is that as soon as the market asks for this type of system, Volvo is ready to deliver.:D
For Scandinavia this is delivered as a original system. I dont think anybody here wants a grader without one.
Vamas has had these systems for years, do you want to be in the business so deliver servos!:eek:

Today my green graders is on the boat from Canada....:D

Last edited:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
More pictures

Grader4me wanted more pictures so i went a short trip up to work and took some.
I collected the paycheck at the same time.(excuse for my wife..:rolleyes: )
And it was a good check, 10K$ after tax.(spent 1 month on Winterexsercice for that)
And foks dont forget that everything is very expensive in Norway.

Anyway here is som more pictures of the gravelspreader.:)

Attachments

• spreder vs.JPG
    spreder vs.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Spreder.JPG
    Spreder.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • G976 vs.JPG
    G976 vs.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,011

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Servosystem in the G976

Here is som more pictures of the servosystem:)
The last picture shows how much you can adjust on.
It is adjustable in all directions!:)
When i drive it i have my arms down on the armrest.
Everything is controlled by a box in the corner of the cabin.
And i can programme everything. Change directions, knobs, feeling on the sticks, reactiontime, speed. There is no limitations.:)

Attachments

• konsoll servo.JPG
    konsoll servo.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 980
  • sete med spaker.JPG
    sete med spaker.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 998
  • spak hs.JPG
    spak hs.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,015

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hope i dont get trown out

Here is some more pictures.
First the controllbox is in the right corner on the first pic.
The display tells you what your doing and the tre nobs is used for programming.
The last picture is of the frontblade. The acumulater is the shiny one top middle.
The frontblade misses lubesystem right now, but it will come.

Enjoy it!:D

Attachments

• G976 sete.JPG
    G976 sete.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Frontblad.JPG
    Frontblad.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 998
Last edited:

Grader4me

Thanks for the pictures MKTEF. I don't think that you will get thrown out as we all enjoy pictures of equipment old and new. Keep em coming :)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Our old 140G

Here is a picture of our old 140G.:usa
This one was bought in 1991, and was one of the first with AWD in Norway.
Electrical problems from -91 untill today. Leaks oil often. Typhical first model problems. Aded AC on the roof, hyd driven.:(
Replaced by Champions in 1996. Volvo in 2007..:)
These will be sold on auction this year.(we have 3)
Picture is from Iraq in 2004.

Attachments

• 140G.JPG
    140G.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 991

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Thanks for the pictures MKTEF. I don't think that you will get thrown out as we all enjoy pictures of equipment old and new. Keep em coming :)

Yeah, your well below Grader4me on the "throwing out" list. :cool2

With the servo controls, one would think there would be more things to malfuntion. Do you have any comparisions on the reliability of the servo compared to the standard controls? Great pics buy the way.

Grader4me

In your picture of the inside of the cab looking out (lower right window) what is that glass container? Is it some kind of filter or just a place for your chocolate milkshake. :)

Yeah, your well below Grader4me on the "throwing out" list

Yup, I'm just holding my breath waiting for the axe to fall :ban

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hey guys!

First Grader4me, that thing is our Lincoln lubrication system.
Fill it up and it grease all conected points as you drive the machine.
With correct amount for each point.:)
We have demanded autolub on all our new machinery. Then there is no discusion on if you have done your greasing ore not.
Our Moxy ADT has a connection between the greasesystem and the gearbox; It dosen't give more than second gear if its empty for grease...It is 6 gears on those...:rolleyes:

Regarding the malfunction, this system has been tested for many years in Scandinavia.
If i am not wrong, the system started around 1990 with the Volvo 6300 machine. A 4300 with a excavator, "digloader" we call it. Backhoes is built on/like tractors, this one is built on a wheelloader.
I can tell you that that 17 year old machine lacks competion today.
Elektrohydraulics with multiple functions in the same 2 controls.
It has the same ore more functions than on my grader.

With all that experience i am sure it will function for decades. Of course you ad more tecnology and with that a increased posibility for foults.
Manual levers is rock solid, so the posibility for foults on the servo is there.
But i am not afraid with that amount of experience, and not only with Volvo.
Vammas, a Finnish grader produser has used this system in their graders for many years. And with thousands of excavator users in scandinavia i am sure it will last without problems.

Last edited:

MooseMan

New Volvo Grader

Has anyone had a chance to get some time on one of Volvo's new graders? I haven't and was wondering if they were any good. Is there are anything that you like/dislike about them?

Thanks!!

Had a demo a few weeks back on the new Volvo Grader. Nothing similiar to the old Champion predecessor. Volvo took over Champion 10 years ago I think. No similarities now. Really liked the 11 speed for bull low speeds on fine grading and fast hi gear to get back to the shop. Reversing fan a plus keeping the cooler systems clean. real time saver. Almost too much power in every gear. had to keep it dialed back to 1600 to 1800 rpms. Great torque. Saved fuel big time as well. Good first impression.

Grader4me

Had a demo a few weeks back on the new Volvo Grader. Nothing similiar to the old Champion predecessor. Volvo took over Champion 10 years ago I think. No similarities now. Really liked the 11 speed for bull low speeds on fine grading and fast hi gear to get back to the shop. Reversing fan a plus keeping the cooler systems clean. real time saver. Almost too much power in every gear. had to keep it dialed back to 1600 to 1800 rpms. Great torque. Saved fuel big time as well. Good first impression.

Welcome to the forum MooseMan:drinkup You'll have a ball here! So there is no similarities to the Champion? I'm a little surprised at that. I'm not sure of the exact year that Volvo took over but we have a couple of 1999 Champions.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF MooseMan! :drinkup

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Champion Motor Graders...the real story

Quick question, are Champion and Volvo building the same machine? They look almost identical. I know very little about graders, except that the Cat M series is going to mop the floor with all of them pretty quick. :bouncegri

You are correct that Volvo bought out Champion. This was in 1997. Volvo continued to use the Champion name until 2000. What you may not know is that Champion also had a factory in Charlotte, NC where the Compact Graders or C-Series were built. (Where these graders evolved from is a whole other story) In July 2004 Volvo decided to get out of the compact grader business and it was purchased by Gary Abernathy which happens to be one of the founders of this particular line of graders. In the purchase we acquired the Champion trademark and build graders under this name today.

Bryan Abernathy
VP Sales & Marketing
Champion Motor Graders
www.championmotorgraders.us

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Well, Bryan, if nobody else has bothered to say so yet, welcome to the forums! I wish you the best of luck in carrying on the Champion name.

I see you've posted some really interesting stuff already. We'll look forward to more... :)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Gravelspreader

Well, first of all welcome to Bryan and Mooseman.

Hope you enjoy the forums and help us to evolve the forum to even higher standards:)

I have taken some pictures of a deleavered new gravelspreader on a Volvo 946. This particular spreader is made by a firm caled mahlers in sweden.
Their site is here:
http://www.mahlers.se/
:)

Attachments

• 946 mahlers.JPG
    946 mahlers.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 915
  • 946 mahlers2.JPG
    946 mahlers2.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 914