• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo G900 series

Grader4me

My only peeve was the diff lock switch . In my current application I use it lots , and found it both backward ( compared to Cats ) and just not as good of a switch as it needs to be .

I know with the diff lock switch that was on the Champion that I run, after you hit the switch, you had sometimes wiggle the ass end a bit for it to engage.

When shifting from reverse to forward you need to get in the habit of checking what gear it selects for you and if you don't check the display you find yourself stalling out . Sometimes it selects 1st or 2nd gear , sometimes fifth ! Again , in time , these little annoying things usually work themselves out .

I think that if you are in lets say 4th gear when you stop, shift to reverse then when you shift to forward again it will start out in 4th gear. Same as reverse. It's puts you back into the same gear you used last. If it is set up the same way as the Champions.

Oh , one really annoying thing that I found was it had a control tower creep . Every 15-20 minutes I had to pull back the controls/steering wheel as they slowly seemed to creep further away from me . . I couldn't believe how bothersome this became

Now that is bothersome!

This worked well until I tilted back the blade and that said rock that had somehow lodged onto that sideshift cylinder got caught under the blade tilt cylinder ( whew ... are ya still with me ? Lol ) and it snapped the ram !!!! YIKES

Been there done that! Luckly never snapped the ram though. Glad you enjoyed your experience ,and thanks for sharing!

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Quote:
My only peeve was the diff lock switch . In my current application I use it lots , and found it both backward ( compared to Cats ) and just not as good of a switch as it needs to be .

I know with the diff lock switch that was on the Champion that I run, after you hit the switch, you had sometimes wiggle the ass end a bit for it to engage.
The difflock on the new Volvo is hydraulic, when you engage the switch the hydraulics put pressure in the difflocksystem.
The lock itself consists of multiple wet discs that is pressed together when activated. So you dont need to do any of the old tricks, only important to be aware of the fact that the engagement/disengagement in "bad" areas will wear out the lock.(when turning/spinning etc)

Quote:
When shifting from reverse to forward you need to get in the habit of checking what gear it selects for you and if you don't check the display you find yourself stalling out . Sometimes it selects 1st or 2nd gear , sometimes fifth ! Again , in time , these little annoying things usually work themselves out .

I think that if you are in lets say 4th gear when you stop, shift to reverse then when you shift to forward again it will start out in 4th gear. Same as reverse. It's puts you back into the same gear you used last. If it is set up the same way as the Champions.

This depens on what type of gearbox you got;11-6 or 8-4. We found the 11-6 better on shifting than the 8-4.(and if you got auto shift on the 8-4)
But you need to choose the right gearshift mode with the switch.
And i am asking how did you change direction in practice?

You should use the grader fully and just change direction directly without stopping.(flip the stick to the other direction) Without stopping or using the inching pedal. Let the system do the job.(and forget about throttle, the system controlls that)
You will never stall out using it that way.
If you grade in automatic mode(A) and stop, it will go for a high gear when you change from R to F.(4 or 6)
If you do the same procedure with a direct change you'll notice that it choose a lower gear.(3 or 5)
For reverse it choose 2. gear to start with, if you used 4. gear last time, it will go up to 4. Its throttle depending.(A mode)

It should also be noted that there is a update program on all gearboxes to improve the shifting further. I have heard that there will be a lower gear to start with. 3 or 5 instead of 4 or 6.
I don't know if this update was done to the one you were testing.

It's sad to hear that Strongco didn't inform bether on the diff lock, cause its a bulletproof system that will work anytime with normal use.
And i hope the grader had the updated gearbox, cause the comments you posted here, i mean is taken care of in that upgrade. (I am waiting for the upgrade on our graders..:mad: )

Grader4me

The difflock on the new Volvo is hydraulic, when you engage the switch the hydraulics put pressure in the difflocksystem.
The lock itself consists of multiple wet discs that is pressed together when activated. So you dont need to do any of the old tricks, only important to be aware of the fact that the engagement/disengagement in "bad" areas will wear out the lock.(when turning/spinning etc)

This is good that the old tricks are out the window:) New system or old I would think that an operator would know not to engage or disengage the diff while spinning etc. :eek:

You should use the grader fully and just change direction directly without stopping.(flip the stick to the other direction) Without stopping or using the inching pedal. Let the system do the job.(and forget about throttle, the system controlls that)
You will never stall out using it that way.

:eek: I'm wayyyy behind the times. Wow!!

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well, world is turning every day you know.

I didn't belewe it when i was told. But tested both a 940, 946 and the 976 before we desided on modell and gearbox. Also tested the 8-4 and the 11-6 gearbox.:)

You can drive along at high speed, make it in reverse, and the computers give throttle, gears down, brakes with the engine and goes down to 6th gear, then connects the 2R and the inching is smouthly connected and you'r going backwards.
I had to try it many times, and hasn't stalled it yet that way.
And i love this function, you get enough time to lift your blade after changing the direction.
With some practise you now exactly where to change with the lever, and ends up doing 2R at right spot on.
Of course i have stalled it some times, in transport mode and 6F taking loose with to little power. You get used to working with nearly no throttle, so when heading home in T-6F its quick to stall it.
T-Transport mode is a program made to get you up in max speed quick, starts high, and shifts up at low rpm's to use the max torque in the engine.
This problem is taken care of with the upgrade of the gearbox. (Jarle; get your finger out!)

And the 9l in the 970/976/990 is a racer, it speeds up like no other grader i have tested.

Grader4me

Thanks

Thanks for all the good information MKTEF. Really amazing how far technology has come. Thanks for your patience in explaining to this old fossil all this new stuff.
Yes, the world is turning every day, but sometimes it's turning so fast it's hard to keep up:)

Deas Plant

A Turning World

Hi, MKTEF.
Yes, the world does keep on turning and we're not all that much different from mice on a treadmill. Thanks for that information. It seems that you are quite favourably impressed with the Volvo graders and that you get to try them in some widely differing conditions and with different attachments. You might want to approach Volvo about some remuneration from their advertising department for the 'word-of-mouth advertising' that you're currently doing for free here in this forum. LOL.

Grader4me: You might hafta git outa yer wheelchair ter keep up, Mate. Me, I wuz thinkin' uv buying wun but I guess I might hafta put it on hold fer a while.
I have applied for a job with a coal mine that is doing some fairly serious upgrading about 100 miles from here. I don't KNOW what the rates of pay are yet but it they pay like most other coal mines, it'll be up in the $75K to $120K bracket, depending on what a body is operating and whether they are on coal or overburden. Strangely, overburden seems to pay more in most mines.

Grader4me

Movin around

Hi Deas, my god man, don't stay in one place very long do ya? Maybe you've got the right plan...keep movin to where the money and work is. You seem to be enjoying it fully though! Man of your experience and expertise can name your price, and you would be a definate asset to any company. I have been at the same place for 34 years...just hav'nt got the guts to move on I guess.

Deas Plant

Movin' on.

Hi, Grader4me.
There's no point in staying where the money isn't too flash or job conditions are not great and, equally, there's no point in moving on if you're happy where you are with what you're getting.

I was stood down on the current site last Tuesday midday 'cos the idiot truck drivers bringing the fill in would persist in coming in the wrong gate. They upset the locals who complained to the project managers who shut the job down for 1/2 a day while the issue was sorted out. Net result - the truck drivers cost themselves - - - and everybody else - - - a 1/2 days pay - 'cos they wanted to be a bunch of smart-a***s. Then it rained overnight and the job hasn't worked since and, due to public holidays and rostered days off, it won't work again until next Wednesday.

In the meantime, the company for whom I'm supposed to be working still has me on casual hire instead of the permanent that they told me would apply after I had been there a month (now 6 weeks) and I'll have had no income for over a week by the time we start again next Wednesday - - - and more rain is forecast for next Thursday and Friday. You see where I'm coming from now?

I'm using the buckshot principle a bit here too. I'm applying for number of positions and we'll see what looks best when I get all the details in.

Just as a footnote to those truck drivers coming in the wrong gate - there is $1.8 billion involved in this project over the next 2 years. These drivers have blotted their copy book once now. They'll get one more chance and, if they blow that, they'll be barred for the rest of the project. Somebody care to tell me again how much brainpower it takes to be a truckie?
:Banghead :pointhead :ban :beatsme

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hey Deas, sorry to hear about those not so smart truckies.
Always some "smart" guy who makes problems for all the rest.:Banghead

Regarding payment, yeah they aught to bring more than keyrings and caps.;)
But seriously; as a public employee i am not alowed to take it.:)
I don't want to tell you about all stories and problems around things like that, but we are very strict to all salesmenn/producers: Nothing accepted here.:cool: (yeah maybee a caps, but they are all parked in my office)

I am involving a bit here because i have read and seen all the free advertising for Cat M-series.(on multiple threads here)
I don't think its fair to Volvo(or the other producers) that nobody tells you about their products.
And i am more happy with the Volvo/Champion than with the Cat's we got.

And i have a legal, good working, serial production grader legaly modified with joysticks. The Norwegian Cat customers is till waiting for theirs....

Right now there is nothing heard from Cat, other than "We are sorry, it is delayed".
I mean, it was not a smart trick to make so high exceptaitions when they don't got it 100% ready for all the markets.

And keep up asking i'll answer, as long it dosen't make me do extra time/work other as a hobby for me.:D

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I am involving a bit here because i have read and seen all the free advertising for Cat M-series.(on multiple threads here)
I don't think its fair to Volvo(or the other producers) that nobody tells you about their products.
And i am more happy with the Volvo/Champion than with the Cat's we got.

And i have a legal, good working, serial production grader legaly modified with joysticks. The Norwegian Cat customers is till waiting for theirs....

Right now there is nothing heard from Cat, other than "We are sorry, it is delayed".
I mean, it was not a smart trick to make so high exceptaitions when they don't got it 100% ready for all the markets.

MKTEF: I for one really appreciate your perspective, experience and fairly obvious extensive knowledge of the machinery you operate. I think you make an excellent contribution to this forum.

However, I wouldn't like to think that posts made here by the members are for the purpose of advertising...whilst it may appear as free advertising thats very much the nature of the internet forum...I'm pretty sure thats not the way "Most" of the members intend it. I'm not naive to the fact that many people try and advertise through forums....they are welcome...they can become a sponsor....However, I for one believe what you see here are internet discussions between people with a common interest...not unlike the discussion that might be had if we were face to face over a nice beer.

People are; by their very nature, often biased....but representing their thoughts and experiences through discussion shouldn't be fact for considering a forum as biased...just that its a reflection of the members.

Your contributions here make for very good balance for the reader.:thumbsup

Deas Plant

Re advertising.

Hi, MKTEF.
I'm with Squizzy here. I don't think very many people here, if any, actually set out to advertise for any company, Cat or otherwise. I personally make my comments on the basis of machine performance and handling, service life and serviceabilty, control layout and operator comfort, not on who manufactured them. I admit to some bias toward Cat equipment but I do try not to let it stop me from being objective about other makes.

There is an old, old saying that the best form of advertising is word of mouth from satisfied users. Is it Cat's 'fault' if there are more satisfied users of Cat equipment than other makes? O.K., so there are more Cat machines out there than most other makes, especially in the heavy end of the market. Might that also be a reflection of the number of satisfied users?

Having said that, I would also applaud the contribution that you have made to this forum to date, both for your information about conditions and how things are done in your part of the world and about types, makes and models of machines that many of us have not yet and may never get to see or operate. As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I have not yet operated any Volvo graders so I have no knowledge of them. Your posts here have gone a fair way toward filling those gaps. Thank you.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Squissy i belewe its a reason to your "super" moderator title.:D

And we both agree to the "advertising", i don't either think this forum should be a place to advertise for products.(other than in clear ads)
And i, both as a private person and employee in the NO army, don't want to be seen on as a advertisor for somebody.
I put my personal experience and knowlege on press her, so that others can read, understand and learn from it.
And i seriously mean that this should be the motivation for all of us here on the forum.;)

But in todays world of business, i sometimes ask myself if all the information found around is left there on purpose or not...

In the Army we call it PSYOPS, Psychological operations, when you leave information in public, internet for instance, to create a felling amongst people that they don't realise is created by yourself.

And thats why i used the term "free advertising", cause i've seen info here regarding products that's not found other places on the net.:cool:
Maybe i am wrong, but thats how i see it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Squissy i belewe its a reason to your "super" moderator title.:D

But in todays world of business, i sometimes ask myself if all the information found around is left there on purpose or not...

In the Army we call it PSYOPS, Psychological operations, when you leave information in public, internet for instance, to create a felling amongst people that they don't realise is created by yourself.

And thats why i used the term "free advertising", cause i've seen info here regarding products that's not found other places on the net.:cool:
Maybe i am wrong, but thats how i see it.

I have some other titles:rolleyes: ... some of them end with .....artist:D

When I was in the Navy it was much more direct and less subtle ....bit more like "When I want YOUR Opinion I will give it to You sonny

Word of mouth is often described as the best form of advertising.

roadrunner

Here is som more pictures of the servosystem:)
The last picture shows how much you can adjust on.
It is adjustable in all directions!:)
When i drive it i have my arms down on the armrest.
Everything is controlled by a box in the corner of the cabin.
And i can programme everything. Change directions, knobs, feeling on the sticks, reactiontime, speed. There is no limitations.:)

Thanks for all the great pics MKTEF. When you are done with the G976, just stuff it into a container and ship C.O.D. to Canada. Keep on developing all the new gadgets and attachments for your machines over there in Europe as we don't get your technology till several years later here in North America!
Keep on with the great posts!!:drinkup

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Thanks Roadrunner:D

Case is, one of the graders i got was for your market. A demo machine for Canada, taken from the fabric to us.;)
Volvo changed the cabin so it got equal to the others we ordered.

I think u will get some of the gadgets from us soon.:)

And i can realy say that the M series is a result of scandinavian operators demanding joysticks!
Operators from scandinavia has been over and told Cat how it should bee.:usa

And with high wages and so few good operators, most get exactly what they want when they tell their boss.
And thats not a joke! :eek:

Cellphone, new car and a new grader.
Just look at the 140M i've pictured. Front blade, vhp, gravel spreader and snow stopper.:D

Grader4me

And with high wages and so few good operators, most get exactly what they want when they tell their boss.
And thats not a joke!

Cellphone, new car and a new grader.
Just look at the 140M i've pictured. Front blade, vhp, gravel spreader and snow stopper.

Okay...I'm coming over...have that stuff waiting for me :D Oh wait..they're looking for good operators...darn...:Banghead

willemdegrader

Occupation
grader operator
Svab Joystick controls

Here is some more info on the servo system.
System is delivered by Volvo in Norway. Producer is svab in Sweden.
It is the same steering system as volvo delivers for excavators; controlling angle, rotating and clamp systems.(between the quickcoupler and the bucket)

This grader system uses an extended system with more functions.
On our graders we have everything on the two controls:
Left:The movement of the grader and left main sylinder+board turning.
Right: All the rest of the equipment.
You combine a button and the stick to get more functions.(proportionaly of course)

Servo controll of the driving systems function only up to 30km/h.(gear, direction and stearing)
If you want to go faster you have to use the wheel and original gear shifter.

Regarding the discussion on long learning time, it took me 15 minutes to remember where the controls was. It is very logical if you have spent some time in a excavator.
My biggest problem was the stearing, that is in the left thumb roler, not on the main stick....
I have spent around 20 hours in it so far and is realy suprised over the improvements. (we exchange Champion 726 serie IV graders...)

The pictures show the controls from the front and the back.
The other picture is from a 946 and show the view when you remove the old levers...

MKTEF,
Can you tell if the control switches for use with automatic blade control (eg.Trimble/Topcon)are built-in the joysticks or are they separated?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Sorry about the late response.
I have not heard of, or seen any systems from Volvo connected to a automatic system.
But, i dont see any problem connecting anything to the system.
There are enough free outgoing channels to connect any type of switch or variable hyd spool.
The SVAB system is in use by most of the "steelwrist" produsers.(with different hyd blocks)
The Army is working on a future procurement of a automatic system.
I hope that the system can be connected directly into the svabsystem by one/two of the spare ingoing channels. So that you just let the blade control take over the input signal, instead of the lift channels in the joysticks.
That way you can use the already installed hydraulic spool valves for the lift sylinders.
And then using the spare outgoing channels to control the switches. Then u don't need to let go of the joysticks to adjust/turn on/off the system.