• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Iron Works and thier machines

chris berlin

Dave Whiskin Photo's BCFP CaycuseView attachment 277164 View attachment 277165 Div.
Hi, love your pictures. A Treasure chest for a model builder like me. I have a question about the TL-6 Loader ...what line is on what wicnh drum ? here ia where I am at with the model....also is there a rule how long a snorkel is...? I made one 18 scale feet long...appreciate any help

IMG_5041.jpgIMG_5042.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Hi, love your pictures. A Treasure chest for a model builder like me. I have a question about the TL-6 Loader ...what line is on what wicnh drum ? here ia where I am at with the model....also is there a rule how long a snorkel is...? I made one 18 scale feet long...appreciate any help

View attachment 295028View attachment 295029
I've worked around some of the TL6's in these pictures , but I never ran one or been part of changing "lines" on these machines . As duel purpose machines I would think the front drum would be the closing line loading or mainline yarding . The middle drum would be the opening line loading or haulback yarding . The back drum would be the boom line for raising or lowering the boom . There should be another drum on the left opposite cab side for the tagline loading or strawline yarding . If there is someone out there that knows these machines better please correct me . The length of the snorkel could vary depending on where the machine is working . Loading from a Tower with guylines one might use a shorter snorkel than loading from a Grapple Yarder or "Cherry Picking" new road right of way .
The model looks good , keep the pictures coming so we can see your progress .

Last edited:

chris berlin

I've worked around some of the TL6's in these pictures , but I never ran one or been part of changing "lines" on these machines . As duel purpose machines I would think the front drum would be the closing line loading or mainline yarding . The middle drum would be the opening line loading or haulback yarding . The back drum would be the boom line for raising or lowering the boom . There should be another drum on the left opposite cab side for the tagline loading or strawline yarding . If there is someone out there that knows these machines better please correct me . The length of the snorkel could vary depending on where the machine is working . Loading from a Tower with guylines one might use a shorter snorkel than loading from a Grapple Yarder or "Cherry Picking" new road right of way .
The model looks good , keep the pictures coming so we can see your progress .
Thanks for your comeback ! I was thinking along the same lines but not even having seen a real one I went by what I know about cable excavators....
From the pictures on line it is hard to see. There are a few postings about the winch setup on MADILL yarders...so I figured it could not be that far apart but input from someone that operated one or seen them up close would be of help.
As to the pictures, most definitely will post some of the progress....right now it is drying time for the paint...then painting the cab interior...and the dirt and rust....
I almost finished my Super snorkel...I is a home spun one..no real prototype but all the features are there. Considering that some logging companies are quite creative and resourceful....someone might have actually built one from available parts....the model is waiting for the grapple and the tagline....
the snorkel from the tip of the boom is 50 scale feet and the total lenght of boom and snorkel are 77 scale feet.
The other pictures are of 2 I already build...
IMG_5043(1).jpgIMG_5044(1).jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

chris berlin

Am still working on the TL-6....but while waiting for some drying...I finished
my LINKBELT loader...
Not to happy that the windows did not turn out as planned..but....
So a little more touch up here and there and it is complete...

IMG_5079.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5081.jpg
    IMG_5081.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5082.jpg
    IMG_5082.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 6