• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird electrical issue New Holland LS185.B (SEE VIDEO)

johnbulloutdoors

Hello,

I have a weird electrical issue going on with my Skid Steer. It's a 2007 New Holland LS185.b. It has a fully charged battery, but checkout the dash lights. They fade in an out. When I turn the key to start, there is nothing. Any ideas?

Here is the link to this 30 second video:

Arny L

To me it still looks like low voltage, did you load test your fully charged battery

Arny L

Check your pos and neg cables, they can look ok but not carry any voltage. Do you know how to do voltage drop test.

johnbulloutdoors

Check your pos and neg cables, they can look ok but not carry any voltage. Do you know how to do voltage drop test.
I haven't done a voltage drop test yet. It was operating fine before I shut it off, and I was hoping for a simple diagnosis. Now, it's parked with the bucket down, hard to access the engine. I think I might try to jump start directly to the starter simply to move it and raise the bucket.

johnbulloutdoors

Solution:

Several things going on here.
1. The silicon protective cover for the red terminal of the battery was missing.
2. The clamp that holds the battery in place was off.
3. The battery might be too skinny for the battery compartment (but not sure)
4. All this led to the positive side of the battery sliding around about 2 inches closer to the edge of the machine, just enough for the red terminal to be slightly toughing the frame. I slid the battery back into position and it started right up.

Arny L

Great job, I guess it was a simple fix after all. Hopefuly you didnt fry anything else,