• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Western Star Log Trucks

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Awesome pics guys. I especially like the old ones Hank.
I like the Mustang emblem scheme on the doors of that white tri-drive, lol.

As far as Freightliner's.....I never thought much of them either until I got a few of them. Two 1998 setback heavy specs and a 2012 Coronado SD. They have held up well on and off road.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Here is Ed Forde's Star it is a 1990, 444 Cummins 13 speed with a 1990 trailer and loader. Might not be here much longer as it is for sale and he has had a bit of interest might end up on the QCI in BC.

Hank R

Occupation
John was lucky or unlucky depends on how you look at it, B-Train short logger and the lead fell of the road.

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Love the photo - matching camo outfits for the graduation and transportation is a very shiny truck, which probably made everyone else's ride look weak.

Hank R

Occupation
I guess go big or stay in school, I am sure that Jim will be letting his son drive this truck as soon as he gets the right licence. Just has to wait for his next birthday.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Western Star logging truck near Cameron Shop, summer 2014

Attachments

• WS IPL s1.jpg
    WS IPL s1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 837
  • WS IPL s2.jpg
    WS IPL s2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 825
  • WS IPL s3.jpg
    WS IPL s3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 849
  • WS IPL s4.jpg
    WS IPL s4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 854

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
what year was western star no longer associated with white?

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
what year was western star no longer associated with white?

I would bet they broke off the same time A-Car broke off. My guess is about 1987 or 88.

I believe '86 was the last model year of the REAL A-Car.

Hank R

Occupation
I am thinking 1980 or 81. Just a guess but I have been wrong before.

In 1967 White Trucks started the Western Star division as White Western Star with a new plant at Kelowna, British Columbia, sharing headquarters with White in Cleveland, Ohio. By 1980, White was insolvent, despite importing Semon E. "Bunkie" Knudsen, son of General Motors legend Semon Knudsen, and President of Ford Motor Company in 1969–70. Volvo AB acquired the U.S. assets of the company, while two energy-related companies based in Calgary, Alberta, Bow Valley Resource Services and Nova, an Alberta Corp., purchased the Canadian assets, including the Kelowna, British Columbia, plant, and the Western Star nameplate and product range.

In 1990 Western Star Trucks was purchased by Australian businessman Terry Peabody, who turned around the company's fortunes over the next 10 years, and in 2000 the company was purchased by the Daimler AG North American truck division.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Hank !!! …. "BOY are you bringing back Memories" …. What an AMAZING Collection of Historic Pictures ! …… Keep Them Coming !

Hank ??? …. was it that late that White left Western Star (thinking where they did not associate the White Logo on the Trucks) …. I'm thinking it was ~ '76/'77 where I saw the last White Western Star Trucks ??? …. I drove a '79 Western Star that had NO "White" logo on it anywhere, I wish I could easily post pics from my 35mm negatives of some of the Western Stars I drove, including my '86/'87 I still have ….

It's a Story All on it's own what that rig has gone thru, all of the transformations/configurations ….starting out as a 248"wb (PG Logger…. which was a common configuration phrase) …. Hendrickson 60" spread with a BC-3 475hp Twin Turbo, RTO 14613, DT460 2-speed Eaton's 529:1 lows 390:1 highs, Locker in the rear, Wagon Wheels and a Columbia Tri-Axle long Log trailer……. to a 248"wb with an Anser Jeep/Pole Trailer and Low Bed Tractor to a Super-B hauling Tractor (which is why it got shortened up and Air ride) to as it sits now a 240"wb, 54" spread Pete Air-Trac, modified to DT-461's, Locker in the front, Polished Alcoas all the way around, re-powered to a CAT 425hp Air-Air (486hp to the ground)c/w CAT Retarder & Jake Heads (from my '87 donor truck), RTO 15713 double over and Finally a semi retired Job as a Dump with Highlift and wet-kit …..

As the industry is now She sits in the back yard, Paid for and costs nothing to sit until things change ….. LOL

Cheers ….. GK !

Last edited: