• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weyerhaeuser Company Logging Operations

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Been up to the Headquarters Camp for the last 2 weeks now. This place beats the turds outta the deserts of Oregon and S.E. Washington!
The 4300 and the Madill stroker are sitting by the Landfill office. Caught the 3800 and lowboy coming out of the 1600 road waiting for pilot cars up by the office as well. Still trying to find the right person to butter-up and get a pass to head up in the brush to have a look around.
Nice pics, right place and right time! Can you tell what they Weyco numbers using your higher resolution pictures on the stroker and the 3800C.
Apparently Weyco Longview doesn't lowboy their own equipment, they contract it out to C&C Logging. Thats what I suspected and now you confirmed it.

580bruce

I would love to see more pics of that landfill JTL! I spent many days hydroseeding that place.Lots of equipment to see during construction.I remember a D-3 B and an old cable loader to the right in the brush before you got to the office,I,'m sure scrap now!

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Jeremy-stroker is #182, 3800 is #139 and the 4300 is #760.
I'll get some more pics as soon as I can Bruce. Even though I'm the boss, I haven't really had time to get off the blade and have a good look around to take any pictures. I think your right about the 3 and the cable loader, haven't seen hide nor hair of 'em. You wouldn't by chance gonna be the green grass painter this go round are ya?

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Jeremy-stroker is #182, 3800 is #139 and the 4300 is #760.
I'll get some more pics as soon as I can Bruce. Even though I'm the boss, I haven't really had time to get off the blade and have a good look around to take any pictures. I think your right about the 3 and the cable loader, haven't seen hide nor hair of 'em. You wouldn't by chance gonna be the green grass painter this go round are ya?

Thanks Jason!

580bruce

JTL,I dont work for the hydroseed outfit anymore.Terra Dynamics out of Seattle,a great outfit.Wish I was,that was a fun job!Keep the pics a commin!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Nice pics, right place and right time! Can you tell what they Weyco numbers using your higher resolution pictures on the stroker and the 3800C.
Apparently Weyco Longview doesn't lowboy their own equipment, they contract it out to C&C Logging. Thats what I suspected and now you confirmed it.

Weyco Longview did all thier own machinery moving until the mountain blew in 1980 and most of the lowbeds disppeared in the explosion and susequent flooding. As they cleaned up they recovered 7 or 8 lowbeds (all off-highway rigs) from the mudflows and rebuilt and used those. During the big blowdown salvage cleanup effort there were so many machines moving that Weyerhaeuser wasn't able to keep up, and they hired Heavy Hauling Company (based out of Kelso) and Groat Brothers (out of Woodland) to assist with the lowbedding from 1980 until around 1986 when all the off-road company lowbeds were sold off. After 1986, it went out for bid and Groat Brothers/Heavy Hauling did most of the moving until the early 1990's. In 1994, Bighorn Logging of (Vernonia, Oregon) bought 3 brand-new lowbeds and took over the lowbedding for several years at WTC Longview. When Bighorn decided to slow down and sold off thier truck fleet (he did keep a couple log trucks, dump trucks, and one lowbed) in the later 1990's, C&C took over based on price and has been doing most of it since then. With Weyerhaeuser it's all price and if someone cut C&C's rates, they'd be tossed and the new dirt cheap would get hired. Rates today are so low I doubt anyone is interested in working for any less than C&C is doing it for.....

Back in the day each Longview Camp (Coweeman, Kalama, 12-Road, 19-Mile, Baker, and Headquarters) all had thier own lowbed fleet (usually 4 trailers) and usually 2 line trucks as well. Often a whole side would move at one time, 3 and 4 loaded lowbeds and a line truck all moving together in a 'convoy' type setup. It was something to see-. Some of the trailers were so large that 2 Cat D8's were moved on one trailer.

in 1990 when the Columbia River was being dredged at Astoria, one of the big lowbeds from Camp Baker was found in the silt below the Astoria Bridge. I wonder how much of that Weyerhaeuser machinery made it clear out to the ocean?? Something to think about. There's alot of gear they have never found.

The tires at Baker were all branded, and the trailer was traced back to Camp Baker using the still-legible brands stamped in the tires on that trailer, 10 years later and after being buried in the river 100 miles downstream from Camp.

Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Weyerhaeuser Longview Lowbed

Truck 401 and its trailer worked at Longview until being transferred to Snoqualmie Falls in 1986. I took these pics at Snoqualmie Falls in 1993 and she was still going strong. This trailer would haul 2 Cat D8K's at once, back to back on the trailer.

Some old Mack DM800's were used as well as the Kenworth trucks.

Attachments

• WTC Lowbed 401 1 HEF.jpg
    WTC Lowbed 401 1 HEF.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 3,142
  • WTC Lowbed 401 2 HEF 1.jpg
    WTC Lowbed 401 2 HEF 1.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 2,800
  • WTC Mack DM800 #997 4 HEF.jpg
    WTC Mack DM800 #997 4 HEF.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2,495

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
This might be a little off-topic, but you did mention this outfit!
Had to go to the UPS Customer Service place to send off time cards today and saw this beaut sitting in Heavy Hauling's yard. To many other trucks parked there to get a real good picture.
Could this be an ex Weyco unit?

Attachments

• 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 1004.jpg
    1004.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,200
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 2,194
  • 1001.jpg
    1001.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 2,232
  • 1003.jpg
    1003.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2,171
Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Anybody know what trans those C5s had in them? I'm thinking a plain old 18 speed?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
We started placing the opertations layer in the new cell Tuesday. This is the final stage in a landfill before they begin placing garbage in one.
First we have pics of the train bringing in the de-inked material that we are using. It is all the left overs from recycling paper. Then we have the rail transfer facility, and the Mi-Jack they use to load the cans on to the trucks.

Attachments

• 0421.jpg
    0421.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 2,217
  • 0161.jpg
    0161.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,136
  • 0151.jpg
    0151.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 2,227

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Here we have are the trucks Weyco uses to haul the cans to the landfill, as well as a live bottom that normally hauls auto fluff from Portland to the landfill. They hired these guys to help with the haul, since the train only brings about 1900 yards of material in at a time. (we can place more than twice that in a 10 hr shift.) They are bringing this stuff in from Longview at the paper mill.

Attachments

• 0531.jpg
    0531.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 2,119
  • 0501.jpg
    0501.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 0481.jpg
    0481.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2,100

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
In that last photo on post #212, I'm pretty sure that second lokie from the front is an ancient, ancient EMD GP7. If so, I'm surprised to see one still running the rails.

580bruce

Love the photos of that landfill.Still one of my favorite jobs I ever worked on.You can post those kind of pics all day long!

Redwood Climber

Loss of Productive Timberlands

I understand we need landfills to put the unrecyclables in I just hate to see prime
timberland used to make a landfill.........I'd be nice to see timberland put back to what it does best........grow timber!! Don't need that old logging road? Put it back to growing timber! Old millsite not being used? Put it back to growing timber! Lose a few hundred acres here, a few thousand there.......HEY!! maybe we should have CHINA grow our trees for us!

Maybe we could put landfills in the city parks so the city folks could keep their unrecyclables and we could keep our forests procuctive. I understand the timber industry looks dead now, but maybe, just maybe the federal government will stop over regulating most industries we can get this economy going again. When and if they ever do, we will need lots of productive timberland to rebuild our economy.

I'm not knocking you fellas working here, I'm thankful you have jobs, I just wish it wasn't doing in productive timberland. Did I mention that I like productive timberland?

Here in northern California we have a section of freeway that was cut through real productive second growth Redwood timberland. 12 & 1/2 miles of it. 3300 acres of timberland was lost. All because the government didn't want to widen the less than 10 miles of old highway that went straight through the park.
That 3300 acres of timberland and all the jobs it represents is gone.......the only jobs the freeway represents is more government workers, man don't we need more of them........Did I mention that I like productive timberlands?

trainwreck

Jtl those live bottom trailers are owned by Rick Franklin, same guy who owns Rick Franklin Corp that i work for.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Jtl those live bottom trailers are owned by Rick Franklin, same guy who owns Rick Franklin Corp that i work for.

I was informed of that Friday when I seen a RFC mudflap on one of the tractors. Saw one your shop trucks come in the other day. One of the trucks broke down up on the big dump.

Redwood, I am pretty sure that the 800 acres Weyco is permitted to operate on is still productive timber land. The 75 acres the landfill takes in is chump change compared to the timber ground they own and maintain. They built the landfill in a hole that was not all that productive to begin with. As far as the job's go..I know of at least 12 full time, year round, high paying jobs that the landfill provides. These are just the people I have met while building this cell, not to mention the the non Weyco employess that bring refuse to the site. Then you have the train crew, the train loaders, ETC,ETC.

I understand where you are coming from. But like the old saying goes. You adabt, you overcome and you comprimise. Timber markets fall, you get a job digging landfill's. After all, the company I work for started out in 1966 building logging roads on the Olympic Pennisulla. Pretty soon, all the big roads get built. No matter what, we still make garbage. Every day, all day. We all need a place to toss our junk at the end of the day. To the folks who coplain about landfill's, I say this....Let your trash pile up in your front yard for a month or so. Then we will talk!! Did any of ever see the episode of The Simpons when Homer went on strike aginst the garbage company in Springfield??