• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What exactly can a backhoe all do?

Preppypyro

So what kind of things can a guy all do with a backhoe? So far i have trenched, and made a pad, dug a practice basement and a whole ton of snow plowing:D

So what else all is there?

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Snowy, I second the rodeo, we have had two and it is a blast to see those who compete against each other in the bidding process for work get together over a BBQ and Coke and laugh and fellowship and go from event to event trying their skills, it is also a time for the dealer and company to put their best foot forward as operators of all colors wil be there trying your brand. It is good to see owners or employees of competing makes do well. Ours were very sucessful.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
a backhoe can do anything...driveways, foundations, septics, drainage, rough grading, loader work...you name it

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
swiss army knife of tractors
i seen guys do thing that a you never think they could climb, dig, tare down, load, and push. They seem to be in the hands of a good operator a do all, jack of all trades if u will.
In the hands of a new comer they are at best a TM machine. This is one of them thing the operator makes the machine. I love wacthing my guys run ours they look like artist.

BIGBEN2004

I have done everything from digging a basement, pushing stockpiles, loading trucks, demoing houses, and fine grading yards. They can do almost anything once you get good at one. They are the closest thing to a skid steer for versatility.

Reuben

clean your gutters, paint your house, decorate your trees for x-mas.Wheel barrel for wifes landscape trimmings,brush cutter,(if you have a 4-1 bucket),fire wood hauler,deer hanger,(so you can skin your deer),I can go on and on.My father used to tell people to come up to his house and jump into the lake off of his $100,000 infinitely adjustable high dive(aka back hoe).He always got good laughes on that one.He would also tell them he had a wave maker in the lake.He would stick the back bucket in and swing itback and forth.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I wanted to add putting forks on a hoe, make it very useful around a sawmill or firewood operation, moving car wrecks too. I put a platform on my forks and used it to shingle my roof. Once welded a long piece of H-beam to the side of the bucket and used it to put trusses up (19' reach). Also have filled the bucket out of a pond and watered trees. Good for transplanting small trees, and to help loosen a tire off it's rim. Phil:)

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Moving sheetrock

Attachments

• Wood Forks (Small).JPG
    Wood Forks (Small).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,868

dirt digger

Occupation
a backhoe did all of this

Attachments

• tractor 041.jpg
    tractor 041.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,862

Preppypyro

Right on guys thanks for all the great replies. I knew before I bought one that they could do a whole ton of things, just never realized how many they could actually do.

Like a wavemaker in a lake, priceless!

Its good to know when I start looking to put mine to work to make a little extra cash, it will be able to do it.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We use ours for:
snow removal
truck loading
craning
utility trenches
septic work
asphalt prep
loader work
additions
grading
wheel barrow
stump pulling
stockpiling

Any thing and everything. Endless posibilities with a good operator in the seat.

Phil

Occupation
Very nice picture Dirt Digger, pleasing to the eye.;)
I've never saw a bucket used that way Cat 420, shows how versatile that bucket really is. Making waves in a lake though...never dreamed of that one.Phil:)

dirt digger

Occupation
Very nice picture Dirt Digger, pleasing to the eye.;)
I've never saw a bucket used that way Cat 420, shows how versatile that bucket really is. Making waves in a lake though...never dreamed of that one.Phil:)

thank you...that was actually the first driveway i ever did entirely by myself. Had to cut and fill the bank up there to get it halfway decent...it wraps up all the way around the front of the house on the left, i think the total length of the new stone driveway was around 350' + the parking area....took me 2.5 days and i could have been out of there in 2 if the top-dressing stone guys would have been able to make it the second day instead of the third.

Reuben

Looking back over what i posted the other day about how my dad used to entertain my brothers and I with equipment made me smile.So many things we were able to experience growing up around equipment that other kids didnt get the privilege of having.Winter time we always had tons of truck tire tubes,we always had a nice sledding chute cut down the hill with a great jump at the bottom.When we got older the motocross track at the 'ol ranch was redesigned every day.(if there was a piece of equipment around).I have always said anyone who ownes more then five acres should have a lil backhoe around.

Duke

I use mine for excavating, grading backfilling, trenching, you name it.

I hook up my forks and lift a home made 8' platform and we put 2nd floor windows soffit & fascia on my buildings, lift trusses, roof sheathing, shingles, roofing paper.

Great for setting heavy windows & exterior doors on 1st & 2nd floor.

Phil

Occupation
Here's a 580D in action with a set of 4' forks lifting a maple log. They were the best $200 I have ever spent. Oh and yes, she was a little light on the back end:p Phil

Attachments

• 580D fork.JPG
    580D fork.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,067