• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is or Was The Most Day in Day Out Reliable Engine Ever Made?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I have to pipe in and say the Briggs Vangaurd series are probably as good as the Honda GX. I've got one on my leaf vacuum, 16hp V twin and it sits all year until leave season, then runs full throttle for weeks on end. I've had one for 12 years now, all I've done to it is change the oil and add gas.

devils2619

Banned
i share some of those sentiments, swampdog. The dealer is very accommdating when he wants us to demo a new toy, but trying to get parts or professional advice is so-so. Even when you have spent a few hundred thousand over a few years, you are only as good as your last tip, so to speak.

What brand of tractor and mower do you have?

devils2619

Banned
I think the B&S line has improved, along with most other engines, over the years. The mid to late 90's models were not very reliable in my opinion, but the models within the last few years have been consistent with the rest of the field. Reality is, if you don't produce a quality product nowdays, there is plenty of competition to take the place.

swampdog

i share some of those sentiments, swampdog. The dealer is very accommdating when he wants us to demo a new toy, but trying to get parts or professional advice is so-so. Even when you have spent a few hundred thousand over a few years, you are only as good as your last tip, so to speak.

What brand of tractor and mower do you have?

Both the tractor and mower are made by Kubota. When the steering ram broke twice before the tractor had 500 hrs on it, I expected the dealer and company to show a little interest in finding the cause. They didn't even come out to look at the problem, although they were happy to sell the new parts.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Funny I have not heard any aircraft
engines mentioned?:eek:

What type of hours are engines made for before major rebuild? I know there are many catagories like HE and small engines.

Timark80

Airboat motor

Back in the late 70's - early 80's we had a 0540 6cyl Lycoming in our airboat.
It had an aluminum hull. Running in the cow pasture on dry land down to the lake was no problem at all,just don't be standing behind it because the dry cow turds would fly everywhere.

We put that engine through some tough times using both avgas and regular gas.

Timark80

I have to pipe in and say the Briggs Vangaurd series are probably as good as the Honda GX. I've got one on my leaf vacuum, 16hp V twin and it sits all year until leave season, then runs full throttle for weeks on end. I've had one for 12 years now, all I've done to it is change the oil and add gas.

That reminds me of the Argo 8x8 with an 18hp vanguard I owned while living in Tn.
That thing would climb some of the steepest hills even in the snow.
It always started and ran great no matter how cold or hot it was outside.

alanstr

Occupation
farm tractors & equipment repair
Deutz air cooled FL series engine.A few years ago I worked on a Deutz tractor with a F3L 912 engine that had some blowby and was using some oil.The tractor only had 6500 hours on it.After disassembly I found the top piston ring on all 3 cyls broken,no scoring in the cyls and they still had the cross hatch pattern.Just lightly honed cyls,replaced rings and bearings,injector nozzles and valve job.It was good to go! I think the broken rings was operator abuse by lugging the engine and not enough rpms.

D1ESEL

I agree Deutz air cooled, Lister air cooled. Most important thing for me in terms of generators is keeping thins @ 1500 RMP (or 1800 in america 50hz vs 60hz). Africa loves the old lister HR engines because they run forever and can be re built with minimal skill and tools. The down side to the lister engines being that they weigh three of four times what the equvilant Kubota engine does! As for the worst ever engines I have come accross are Ruggerini and Lombardini.............

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
without a doubt. 350 converted chevrolet..........................oh' you said the best motor:eek:

I have had good luck out of 2 stroke detroits, you never have to change the oil in them, it is quite possibly the only motor made with more leaks than it has gaskets lol.

I also have had great luck out of the Yamaha motor's. i have one on a pump and one on a Gen, and so far it's turning out to be a better motor than the red honda's, Starts easier (hard to belive but its true), quieter, smoother, less fuel, lighter.

Pj

D1ESEL

I may have also over-looked Honda's GX range of stationary engines. GX160 5.5hp is practically used in everything these days. Everything from jet washers to go-karts Amazing engines. so so simple. GD range of Honda diesels were not so good in my opinion neither are most of the small single cylinger air cooled diesels. Revving far too high!!! In my humble opinion the Hondas are in a different class to the Briggs, Tuscmesh, kohler ect............

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Actually I'm finding I'm in good company. I'm hearing these things have a habit of letting go around 1200 hours, mine has 1303. It's on a Scag mower, is set by a governor so it can't over rev, there really isn't any way it could be operator error. I wasn't running it, but my helper reported it went "BANG!" and just shut down. I was able to restart it, but it was clanking and running on one cylinder, then the stream of motor oil started running out the muffler.

Pulled a plug today and the end was destroyed and full of aluminum particles, that pretty much told the story. I'm pretty upset it let go at such low hours and with faithful servicing.

ours on the Hustler lasted no where near 1300hrs. and had nothing but problems with it too.....I will never own another, infact we replaced the mower with a Bad Boy that has a Caterpillar Deisel on it :D

Pj

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
Toyota 18R,22R

Chevy 350

Dodge Slant Six: sawdust in the oil pan and dog water in the fuel tank and were good to go :D

Smaller 2 stroke Detroit's: kinda biased as I still drive one.

B3.9 Cummins and B5.9

Saw the F1 posts earlier and as a fan myself remember this video from a few years ago. Renault's car making music. Fast foward :55 seconds.
YouTube - Formula 1 Renault "playing" !!BRITISH!! Anthem

Last edited: