• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why haven't scrapers evolved very much ?

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
The cushion hitch on the 627 has been there since the early days. There hasn't been much improvement in ride quality since. Rock trucks have suspension. TS24Bs have nitrogen shocks. Has Cat put any suspension under its scrapers ? Nope.

I've heard that ejector cylinders can be damaged if one happens to load with them extended. Is there a warning system to alert an absent minded operator ?

The 627 cab is the same size it has always been. Does it have a trainer seat ? Nope. The noise level is rated at 80.5 dB.

The sight lines on scrapers aren't great. Can you see into the bowl when loading ?

I love how the tach in the new 627s will show the RPM of one engine, either the front or the rear. How about putting 2 needles on the tach and let the operator see the speed of both engines ?

If the new scrapers are so much better than the old ones, why is everyone keeping their old iron ? Before you say the cost of buying new is too great, farmer generally run newish combines and tractors and you put way less hours on them in a year than you do a scraper.

As far as loading with the cushion hitch up if you forgot, it didn't take long to notice.You had a hard time getting the scraper to go into the ground until you released the hitch and it came down.Just like a dozer on float.

As far as training seat.I was the trainer and the new guys was the trainees.The training seat was a scraper seat mounted on the fender:eek: of the scraper behing the trainee.You made sure the seatbelt was good and tight.

I was training guys that had never run push and pull 637's.It wasn't bad when you was operating the machine(you had control) ,but riding behing with some of those guys was darn scary,i tell you.

I finally told the super that if he wanted me to keep working there to do his own training( even tho i needed the job,had a family to feed),that i didn't hire out or get paid enough to train those guys.

Now days OSHA would have shut you down.

AS far as now days a seat behind, is being taking place by the simulators,at least i would hope so.

The company was new and started out with four push and pulls.Then added two more and started up night shift.It was a night mare when you showed up to work the next day(dayshift).Bails broke off hanging.Radiators bent or smashed to crap and leaking.

Blowed rear motor motors from over rapping.Bent front bumpers,fenders and the list goes on.I don't know how many times you had to run your twin barrel as a single:mad: until they got another engine or trans.They finally got smart enough to keep spare complete units to change over too,when the other went down.

You didn't have to worry about being the front man ,because you was always the last guy back to the cut.Plus couldn't pull with a full loaded scraper and single engine anyway.

The soils type was sandy loam(sugar clay,blow sand) just a few names it was called.Back slopes was cut 1/4 to 1 with benches every 10 to 15 ft. in the cuts.Grader has to rub the slopes down with the blade run out to the sides almost straight up and down.

You always had to be crowding the slopes to keep them as straight up and down as you could,but not to far where the draft tubes was scraping into the slopes.

Those was the days when the inspectors was tuff to satify

The job was at Mound City ,MO. on I-29 in 1971.:usa

ronnie

mass-x if you will go to best bang for buck scraper and read post #19 you will find out just how much some guy knows about scrapers

Someguy

Busted... by a bunch of know it all scraper operators. :rollseyes: How will I ever live ?

I didn't realize you had to be a scraper God to ask questions on these forums. For some silly reason I thought it was a place to learn and exchange ideas.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Your Wayyyy to Smart for the Construction Business.

Busted... by a bunch of know it all scraper operators. :rollseyes: How will I ever live ?

I didn't realize you had to be a scraper God to ask questions on these forums. For some silly reason I thought it was a place to learn and exchange ideas.

Someguy, you are way to smart to be on the Construction Side of this Business. With the Depth of Knowledge you have in the Field of Construction, you would be a "Natural" as an INSPECTOR.:D

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
OK..
I admit that it's not right for me to call anybody a troll.
And I'm sorry. :notworthy

So ask away Someguy.
You've got allot to learn.
:cool:

Attachments

• buckweet.jpg
    buckweet.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 518

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
OK..
I admit that it's not right for me to call anybody a troll.
And I'm sorry. :notworthy

So ask away Someguy.
You've got allot to learn.
:cool:

O man ROP!!! i just peed my pants on that one:D But honestly, mabey we should lay off someguy, he just wants to learn somthing like the rest of us!

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
I suggested he go to the library and find the book by R.G. Letourneau. If he does he will find what scrapers have evolved from and how. He can skip the preaching part and just read how this all happened. Used to get Mr. Letourneau,s monthly newsletter a long time ago in the Seabee,s. He wanted everybody to learn how to move dirt. Object being to get it from point A to point B with the least amount of fuss and expense.

Someguy

Someguy, you are way to smart to be on the Construction Side of this Business. With the Depth of Knowledge you have in the Field of Construction, you would be a "Natural" as an INSPECTOR.:D

This coming from Mr. Backhoe man that says "Down here $50,000.00 a year is a pretty good living."

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
The Wind Jammer Returns

This coming from Mr. Backhoe man that says "Down here $50,000.00 a year is a pretty good living."

I would say that when the "Median Household Income" in Arkansas is $38,134 that a guy who averages working 4 days a week making $50,000.00 a year is a pretty big deal to him. If you would like to look it up heres a link for you.
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/elections/keyraces/census/ar/ The thing about most of these guy's running backhoes is they MIGHT make $20,000.00 a year working 5 to 6 days a week for someone else.

I got a backhoe but I'm not in the Backhoe Business. As a matter of fact I don't even know where it is right now. I haven't known where it's been for over 3 weeks. I friend of mine needed me to do some work at his hunting cabin and I told him to come get it and bring it back when he's done. That's how important the "Backhoe Business" and the $50,000.00 a year that goes with it is to me.:)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I hate to make threats, and hate even more to make good on them, but I'm gonna make one anyway.

It literally takes two clicks of the mouse to lock a thread.

Let's try to cease and desist with the off topic bickering, please.

992G

I love how the tach in the new 627s will show the RPM of one engine, either the front or the rear.

Seeing that you know about the tach feature in the new 627G's I would have to take it you have run one for a day. Please run a 68M serial number prefix 627 for a day and see if you notice the difference between the two machines.

If the new scrapers are so much better than the old ones, why is everyone keeping their old iron ?

Well the cost of buying is not too great, however a new 627G with a push pull arrangement is roughly 850K. Not to many contractors spending that type of cash during these times.

Last edited by a moderator:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Tach? What's that? I've only run one scraper that it worked on. I use the audio tach, a guy with experience knows what they sound like in their safe operating range, and when they are about to blow up! LOL!
Maybe if you get lucky enough to run a newer one with a quiet cab, you'd need it...
alan627b