• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter storage/operation

Delmer

Post a pic of your tank type heater and the connections. Usually they're more than 500W, they lose a little more heat being exposed, so 1,000-1,500W is common.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
I was going to buy another one but haven’t as my block heater works very well.
I would like to do something for the hydraulic fluid as when using for snow, it takes quite a while for the hydraulic filter light to go out.
The brakes are very stiff and so is the loader controls until the fluid warms up.
Was thinking of trying a pad type inside under the side panel but not sure it would be effective.
Has brand new filter and fluid and no water in it.
Not sure of my best options.
I do know, even the 1500watt magnet types are not very efficient as if you leave it on all night on a 20 gallon HPU it only will raise the temp about 5 degrees.
I use 12 nightly on HPU’s at work, ranging from 20 to 200 gallon HPU’s, so I have actually recorded the data.
Thinking about putting a block type in my Case on the 3/4” npt drain but not very smart, I think.

56wrench

Most of the pad type heaters are designed to be used on the bottom of an oil pan or tank thereby the heat goes up into the tank. If mounted on the side they are not efficient and may overheat and burn out. Just my 2 cents

Delmer

A little bird told me that a water heater element fits 1" NPT, and if you hook up a 240v element to 120V it will put out 1/4 the wattage at 1/2 the amps, under 15A conveniently.

I agree, block heaters work better than tank heaters if the engine will take one.

aighead

I went out and measured my hole to the best of my ability and I'm pretty sure it's 1.5", thusly I found this: Zerostart 3100045 Freeze Plug Engine Block Heater for Caterpillar, Detroit, Massey Ferguson, Perkins, 1-1/2-Inch Diameter | CSA Approved | 120 Volts | 600 Watts https://a.co/d/a9Qaiuk

Good enough for government work? And the hole I measured was the white one I put in the picture above, agreed? Safe to assume I'll have to pull that filter? Can I reinstall the same filter back on, it probably only has a couple hundred hours on it.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
If you can, please post some pics of the job if and when you get to it, to help a=holes like me ;)