• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

work pics

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Probably about 5 minutes. You need enough nitrogen to cover the bearing and you leave it in till it stops boiling. As a guide I used about 40 litres to do that 1900 bucket. You need good gloves and a cool head:)
If you want to have a go at it I can put up a procedure. It can be a bit daunting the first time you do it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I've used a regular cool box before now to freeze pins with liquid nitrogen, but nothing beats a purpose-built box with 3-4" thickness of expanding foam in between the inner & outer box (the outer can be made from timber if you want). After you've had a bit of practice you'll probably have an idea of how big a box you need for all sorts of "normal" stuff. If you get caught out by something bigger than will fit in your box you may have to build a bigger one.

The bush or pin only just needs to fit into the box, that reduces the quantity of liquid nitrogen required. Pins & bushes are best laid horizontal, they are easier to pick out that way. If the pin has a threaded hole in the end of it fit an eyebolt & a sling to it before freezing, with a bush thread a nylon sling through it before freezing. You can always take the slings off after lifting the bush out of the box and before installing it. I agree with Ray, you still need VERY GOOD gloves but having a sling to make it easier get hold of whatever you're freezing helps enormously.

We did a D9 equalizer bar overhaul last week by freezing the centre pin and it literally falls into place - no cylinders required to push it in. From taking the pin out of the box where it was frozen to it being installed in the support takes no more than about 60 seconds.

This photo is a 994F lower articulation hitch pin that weighs around 400 pounds. We froze this for 10 minutes in liquid nitrogen and it fell in under its own weight. In the back you can see the eyebolt that was fitted to the pin to lift it into position between the upper & lower hitches, then lower it into place. To get this pin in place took maybe 5 minutes. The other photo shows how we used 3 x 10-ton cylinders to align the hitch before fitting the pin.

DSC00277 edit.JPGDSC00278 edit.JPG

steve loving

I've used a regular cool box before now to freeze pins with liquid nitrogen, but nothing beats a purpose-built box with 3-4" thickness of expanding foam in between the inner & outer box (the outer can be made from timber if you want). After you've had a bit of practice you'll probably have an idea of how big a box you need for all sorts of "normal" stuff. If you get caught out by something bigger than will fit in your box you may have to build a bigger one.

The bush or pin only just needs to fit into the box, that reduces the quantity of liquid nitrogen required. Pins & bushes are best laid horizontal, they are easier to pick out that way. If the pin has a threaded hole in the end of it fit an eyebolt & a sling to it before freezing, with a bush thread a nylon sling through it before freezing. You can always take the slings off after lifting the bush out of the box and before installing it. I agree with Ray, you still need VERY GOOD gloves but having a sling to make it easier get hold of whatever you're freezing helps enormously.

We did a D9 equalizer bar overhaul last week by freezing the centre pin and it literally falls into place - no cylinders required to push it in. From taking the pin out of the box where it was frozen to it being installed in the support takes no more than about 60 seconds.

This photo is a 994F lower articulation hitch pin that weighs around 400 pounds. We froze this for 10 minutes in liquid nitrogen and it fell in under its own weight. In the back you can see the eyebolt that was fitted to the pin to lift it into position between the upper & lower hitches, then lower it into place. To get this pin in place took maybe 5 minutes. The other photo shows how we used 3 x 10-ton cylinders to align the hitch before fitting the pin.

View attachment 84282View attachment 84283

Nige thats one hell of a pin. Thanks for the info and pictures i have never seen a 994 i did help rebuild some old 92c's. The 994 makes a 92 look like a 910.

steve loving

Probably about 5 minutes. You need enough nitrogen to cover the bearing and you leave it in till it stops boiling. As a guide I used about 40 litres to do that 1900 bucket. You need good gloves and a cool head:)
If you want to have a go at it I can put up a procedure. It can be a bit daunting the first time you do it.

Ray i like all the info i can get. I dont have any boring lined up but they did say that a few machines were coming in that needed some boring. Thanks Steve

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige thats one hell of a pin. Thanks for the info and pictures i have never seen a 994 i did help rebuild some old 92c's. The 994 makes a 92 look like a 910.

You don't pick it up and put it under your arm that's for sure ........ 994 is approx twice the size of a 92, about 450,000 pounds all up. It was one of the easier photos to find. The same principle applies though, even if you're working on a 950. I've been told a few times that after people start using liquid nitrogen they can't imagine what it was like when they had to struggle with hydraulic cylinders and stuff to press pins or bushes in & out. we have our own nitrogen flask and we get it refilled whenever we have a job to do. You can't store liquid nitrogen for long because it evaporates.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Every piece of exposed skin should be covered (Long sleeves, a welder's apron, something like that) and you MUST wear good eye protection. A clear face shield like you'd wear for grinding is probably the best, although safety glasses will also work. This stuff is at a temperature over 300-odd degrees below zero. If it splashes it burns whatever it touches. Be careful not to splash it ...........

steve loving

Cat bucket ear's flexing and busting top caps and under broke loose from rear of bucket liner.

Attachments

• miller bucket cut apart 002.JPG
    miller bucket cut apart 002.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,177
  • miller bucket cut apart 007.JPG
    miller bucket cut apart 007.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,167
  • miller bucket cut apart 004.JPG
    miller bucket cut apart 004.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,168
  • miller bucket 002.JPG
    miller bucket 002.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,165
  • miller bucket 004.JPG
    miller bucket 004.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,165

steve loving

Thanks Ray i hope to start fitting top liner tomorrow and put some extra bracing before putting on the caps. Usually on repairs like this bucket i can keep the bores lined up by checking and moving from one side to the other while welding. I was showing some people that came by the shop today some of your boring jobs and they were impressed. Ray on your facing head how is the feed actuated?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Steve,there is a disc on the rear of the head that is held from turning with a rod.There are pegs on it and a star wheel revolves around them as the head turns.That actuates a nut on a rack that feeds out the slide.The 180 mm head does up to 14 inch faces and the feed is fixed.The larger head will feed out to around 30 inches and has a lot more pegs which can be disengaged,so you can vary the feed from a few thou per rev up to around 30 thou.

steve loving

Got this one done today got to fix corner on 416 cat hoe 2 ft bucket in morning. This bucket had 1/4 caps and i put 3/8 t1. Also back plate for hinge mounting bumped up to 1/2 and added a few braces under caps.

Attachments

• miller bucket peices 002.JPG
    miller bucket peices 002.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 867
  • miller bucket peices 006.JPG
    miller bucket peices 006.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:

steve loving

few more

Attachments

• finished bucket miller 005.JPG
    finished bucket miller 005.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 999
  • finished bucket miller 010.JPG
    finished bucket miller 010.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • finished bucket miller 011.JPG
    finished bucket miller 011.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 994

steve loving

Ray i made templates and a local welding shop bent them but they were not even close to the pattern so i took them to a buddy over the weekend and we got them fixed. The bores lined up but ill do better next time.

Last edited:

steve loving

Here are a few things ive been working on heres a hammer mount i bored and bushed with 4140 bushings.

Attachments

• boring hammer mount 001.JPG
    boring hammer mount 001.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 685
  • boring hammer mount 002.JPG
    boring hammer mount 002.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 675
  • boring hammer mount 009.JPG
    boring hammer mount 009.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:

steve loving

980 cat pics didnt come out very well

Attachments

• bigrock 980 003.JPG
    bigrock 980 003.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 677
  • bigrock 980 005.JPG
    bigrock 980 005.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 671
  • bigrock 980 004.JPG
    bigrock 980 004.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 682
  • bigrock 980 006.JPG
    bigrock 980 006.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 692

steve loving

Case skidloader axle repair at mike bos chassis craft.

Attachments

• axle 008.JPG
    axle 008.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 706
  • axle 009.JPG
    axle 009.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 676
  • axle 006.JPG
    axle 006.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 687
  • axle 011.JPG
    axle 011.JPG