• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

work pics

cat320

Charter Member
there is no limit to what kind of rock it will blow apart? it sounds like next to the best thing if your in a congested area.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I drill 1 3/4" holes because that what size I use for the splitter. there is a minum of 20" you have to drill if i remember correctly. But you need a free face for this stuf to work

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
For what NAC is doing would be a pain in the butt with dynamite because you would need blasting mats block off the area pop the holes and keep repeating the process. I really don't think the neighbours would like the dishes ratting the horn blasts warning of the blast.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Yeah, we aren't blessed with wide open expanses like you guys have up in BC to just blast until our hearts content, you guys got it easy! :thumbsup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
When ever blasting is done in the residential areas we need to use blasting mats which are constructed out of tires that are cut into strips and bolted together. Its to keep the blast contained you blast without them you will have rock bullets flying everywhere they can hurt somebody or hit someones house.

With NAC's situation he would probably have to warn every neighbour in the area. Depending on the rules in the area he may have to set up instruments that measure ground movements. You would have to inspect the neighbours basements on either side of the site and take pictures to prove that if any cracks found were there before the blasting.

It may take longer with the expanding grout but it saves on headaches it also saves on complaints :laugh

There is two options for blasting which is sticks of dynamite and no you don't light a wick or Amex which is fertilizer and diesel fuel.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Here are some more job pics and a pic of a Socemec 4,000 lb hammer I just put on the machine.

Attachments

• P7170005.4.JPG
    P7170005.4.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 804
  • P8010010.4.JPG
    P8010010.4.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 803
  • P8010007.4.JPG
    P8010007.4.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 803
  • P8010011.4.JPG
    P8010011.4.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 798

tylermckee

Nac, I'm assuming the 330 deere is a rented unit, and you put a hammer on your 160? Have you finished that basement dig with the rock or are you still breaking away?

atgreene

Where do you get a similar auto lube set-up? I've seen the big complicated ones, but a small set-up such as that would be ideal.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Yes I put the hammer on my 160 hammer rentals add up really fast just not cost effective for me to rent a machine with a hammer. I allready have two other rock jobs lined up. The greaser is by Lincoln it runs off of the hydraulic circut so every time you hammer it greases.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Got a call last week. Broken 3/4" waterline under slab. Turned out to be a 3/4" type "N" copper line with a bad joint plus a hole wore through the side. I dug up the sidwalk around the front of the building and down the side to install a new type "K" line to meet code. Close quarters ment I had to use a mini. and my 3 yd. hooklift. And yes I did this one in the rain. hard rain the day we poored the sidewalk. Job went smooth and customer is very happy and broke now. LOL
This job was in the center of a busines area and had a lot of people watching. Main area was under a restrant window ware they set and watched us during there lunch. 3 to 4 feet away. I got 3 calls for more work because of it so far.

Attachments

• C and J waterline 04.jpg
    C and J waterline 04.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 969
  • C and J 01.jpg
    C and J 01.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 962
  • C and J pooring sidwalk 03.jpg
    C and J pooring sidwalk 03.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 967
  • C and J Hooklift at work 02.jpg
    C and J Hooklift at work 02.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 969

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Those are the best, working public. A tad dangerous sometimes, but we had a couple calls last year after working downtown on a sidewalk with our mini and dump trailer. It was a little tricky at times, but definately worth it just for the extra business.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
dayexco said:
that's all the deeper the water lines are in juneau?
use to be 4' but someone thought they would freeze so the city now makes us put them down 5' most city mains are down 6'. Frost line uasualy never sees 32"

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Working on water mains or pipes are a pain in the azz especially when you have to shut the water off to the street or area. Working in a place like that where you end up with a peanut gallery watching you work is another pain in the azz.

Dwan how do you like your hook lift truck I'am really considering one I thought about building a conventional rolloff on a F-450 or F-550. A conventional rolloff I can build myself but the problem with a conventional rolloff they don't dump gravel very well.

I know where I can buy a 2006 F-550 4x4 with a Hiab multilift for 65000 dollars the truck only has 9000kms on it. From the pictures the mulitlift looks a little cheaply constructed. The truck is at a Hino dealership I have a feeling the truck maybe wasn't up to par and the guy traded it in on a new Hino. In the dealer's advertisement there was a 2006 Hino 3 ton with a hooklift on it now its sold.

The hino dealer wants 65,000 for the F-550 a little too pricey for my operation. There is no boxes with the truck so a person has to buy boxes the Hiab Mulitlift isn't a popular hoist.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Ford LT-9000 said:
Dwan how do you like your hook lift truck

I know where I can buy a 2006 F-550 4x4 with a Hiab multilift for 65000 dollars the truck only has 9000kms on it. From the pictures the mulitlift looks a little cheaply constructed. The truck is at a Hino dealership I have a feeling the truck maybe wasn't up to par and the guy traded it in on a new Hino. In the dealer's advertisement there was a 2006 Hino 3 ton with a hooklift on it now its sold.

The hino dealer wants 65,000 for the F-550 a little too pricey for my operation. There is no boxes with the truck so a person has to buy boxes the Hiab Mulitlift isn't a popular hoist.

Mine are Stellar Shuttle brand.http://www.stellarindustries.com/ Got the one you see in the picture back in 1992 and had it custom made to fit the short truck (137" wb) F350 4x4 IDI. which also caries a plow in the winter. total cost for truck, plow, shuttle, and 1 flatbed was aprox $35,000. I liked it so well I got another one in 1995 set up the same waay except this one I mounted myseld because I did not care for the way the upfiter does there work. The 95 4x4 DI set up the same way minious the flatbed cost $42,000. Both have belt driven hydrolics. Both can load 5,000 from the ground up and both dump at over 53 degrees. I do feel the frames on the lift units are made of to thin of material and could be improved on. I would not be without one after having them. They are not cheap but have paid for themself every year sence I got them. If I did not need the plow I would have one mounted on a ISUZU NPR HD. I do overload the truck a lot more then I would like and my next one will probably be on a F550 unless Isuzu coms out with a 4x4 w/automatic.

rool off beds are easy to make. I have 2 flat beds, 1ea. 2 yd dump bed, 2ea. 2 yd sanders 1 ea. 500 gal hydroseeded and a real bed for CATV cable. Planed are a 2yd cement mixer, another dump bed for rock, a 8' box van, and a 185 cfm aircompreasure. I am also planing a trailer with a compatable shuttle system on it w/electric over hydrolic. As I work mostly alone and do my fabrecation between jobs these may take a while or may never get done but I keep pluging away.

I would not rull out the convitional roll off unit as there is one here in town that dumps just fine on a 1.5 ton cabover truck.

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
unless Isuzu coms out with a 4x4 w/automatic.

The Isuzu AMT is brilliant once you get used to it. All our salesman are at a loss as to why Isuzu don't do the AMT on the 4x4. I think the last small 4x4 automatic truck we could buy here was the Mercedes.