• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in Alaska pictures

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
There was alot of accelerating going on. Alaskans for global warming, haha. The power of that Detroit is bloody marvelous!

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Every once and awhile you have to just take a weekend off and disengage. Here we are going out for a little weekend 4x4
Ford.jpg

ValleyFirewood

Most of your work out in Talkeetna?

In a few of your posts you talked about burying wood from land clearing.

How does that not make a sink hole? I know of several properties that have had big sink holes form because of that. My yard included.

After filling it in year after year (would sink a ft or so over fall and winter) I dug it all out this summer. Most of it was buried 10-15+ ft down.

It sank again this fall, I'm guessing (and hoping) because I filled the hole in with my Bobcat and wasn't able to really compact it well. Otherwise I have no idea what's going on.

Attachments

• P1000661.jpg
    P1000661.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,770
  • P1000677.jpg
    P1000677.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,772
  • P1000657.jpg
    P1000657.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,763
Last edited:

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
That is a big hole for a mini! Yes most all my work is here in Talkeetna, once in awhile I will venture over to Trapper Creek or Caswell but have plenty to keep me going right here.
So for burying stumps and what-not, I will place them as tight as I can at the very bottom of the hole. Then Ill fill it up with dirt until I can drive in there with the Dozer. I usually
go for about 10-12' of dirt, once you seal out the oxygen it cant decay, so your next issue is settling. I'll drive right down in that hole and fill it in lifts, packing it all the way up. I'll
try to run the Excavator in there to pack it as well since it has twice the weight. Then on top I'll usually give it a little mounding unless the materiel was already saturated it will settle
once it gets wet. This process seems to work great. Frozen ground is the worst. It doesn't seem to hold, no matter how much you compact is, once it thaws it will sink out of site. If it has to be done,
I'll mound it really high and hope for the best. Homeowners tend to like mounds rather than holes! Hope all that work you did that fixes your yard

ValleyFirewood

Tell me about it! It was the biggest APR (rental yard here in Palmer) had available that I could haul on my 12k trailer, also I didn't want to use a big machine and destroy the rest of my yard. I had to track across my front and side yard to there. I used those sheets of OSB near the junk pile under the tracks and it didn't rut the yard up much.

The real fun was getting it OUT of the hole. I drove it down on the "ramp" behind it in the last pic. I expected no trouble to be able to push it out with the boom along with tracking.

Well, I found out that the machine didn't have quite enough power to do that. I ended up having to dig out more of a ramp and winch it out.

I sure hope it will stop the sinking... really am hoping that what it sank this year was just it settling in.

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Well I haven't been in a while trying to get a hunt lease set up here in the sunshine state.Guess what may be happening down here ? After 20 odd years or so we will be getting Snowed upon.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Well its that time again, bringing everything through the shop for repairs. Boy, can it get expensive!

This roller Ive had for a few years and it runs great but always looked rather unsightly. I thought I would bring it in and touch up a few panels. Then I needed to remove the hydraulic lines to paint underneath them and the seat had to come off then I couldn't get behind the tires very well..... So, I finally relented and realized it wasn't going to be as easy as just "touching up" some areas. After a few days of grinding and painting It came out great! We just rolled it on so it has a little more texture than you would with a gun, but im happy with it. I had the seat re-upholstered and am going to have some decals made.

IMG_1965.JPGIMG_1355.JPGIMG_3631.JPGIMG_3646.JPGIMG_3654.JPG

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Excavating comes to a halt for us during the winter months. So we swap over to snow plowing, but that is kind of hit or miss anymore. We didnt get a flake of snow in February! Anyway, I keep enough contracts to keep my guys busy. Mostly all residential and I head up north to the Slope for a few months. That is the Oil Field here in Alaska. I operate a hot oil truck which is basically just a high pressure pump that heats hydrocarbons well beyond their flash point :eek: Anyway there is alot of equipment up here that dwarfs the stuff I'm used to so I thought Id get some pictures to share. IMG_3529.JPGIMG_3536.JPGIMG_3537.JPGIMG_3541.jpgIMG_3543.JPG

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Well I can't help myself ,I wore shorts to work today. It was cool it was mid +70 degrees out.:notworthy

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I especially enjoyed the Prudhoe pics. My grandfather was up there in the early 70s and I have a ton of photos he took of the area. Right down to the arctic foxes that hung around the dorms. If I ever get them scanned Id love to post a bunch for all you guys to see.

kent_323is

Occupation
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Picked up a different trailer so I can haul the Dozer & Roller in one trip. Really helped save some time!
View attachment 111107

I really like the trailer you picked up. Can you list more details about it? Care to estimate what you had to give for it?

Thanks for posting all the pics, it looks like you guys do some nice dirt work!

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
How much trouble do you have getting your equipment and pick up fired up in those crazy cold temps?

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I really like the trailer you picked up. Can you list more details about it? Care to estimate what you had to give for it?

Thanks for posting all the pics, it looks like you guys do some nice dirt work!

Thanks Kent, I paid around 6 grand for it. Had to make the ramps and re-deck it but its been a good trailer so far!

How much trouble do you have getting your equipment and pick up fired up in those crazy cold temps?

Well everything has block/pan/battery and transmission/hydraulic heaters installed on the plug in. During heavy blows where we are unable to get them to a plug we just shut them off then bring out a large indirect fired heater that also has plug ins. Heat them up till they start and away we go. Typicaly though when it just gets really cold we just dont shut anything off.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
This week I went out and worked on North Star Island and they have all sorts of expensive ways to get you on and off the island in case of emergency. The Arktos is a amphibious craft that goes about 2 mph in water and not much fast on land. It has a Jet for water and tracks for land. They would not let me crawl in it to check out the inside or the engines. They have 3 total IMG_3759.JPGIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3729.JPGIMG_3735.JPG