• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wrecker call

td25c

We installed new bolts and had the rig fixed in about 3 hours from the first call on the cell phone.Dang,these cell phone's are handy.

Attachments

• sprayer broke 014.jpg
    sprayer broke 014.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,061
  • sprayer broke 013.jpg
    sprayer broke 013.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,061
  • sprayer broke 011.jpg
    sprayer broke 011.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,058

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Dang,these cell phone's are handy.

Ha ha, so is a Holmes 750! Sweet job 25c, excellent pics. The cell phone is a modern day time saver. In the old school days, farmer would have had to call your office, then they'd contact you...somehow. You'd got there eventually. The cell phone is a modern tool that allows all this to happen more quickly. On the other hand, not many modern wreckers can do what the old 750 can. Ya ain't gonna make a side boom lift with a modern tail dragger. Long live the old GMC with the 750! :notworthy

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Nice call again , I like how you mave that air hose reel mounted on the bed like that

Not to hijack your post but heres my Holmes : Only mine is 1:24 scale

Attachments

• holmes.jpg
    holmes.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,445

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
that farmer is very lucky because serious damage could have been done. also cameras do not show anything to do with height and angles. good job and i see you had everything you need on the truck.

ok, in the great white north we don't have cell phones only land lines and the cafe table of truth. a week ago, "they" burnt the phone tower down and we have no phones. i have my own internet dish that i'm using to order parts and chase things down. the amount of gas i'm using in the vehicle to run here and there and to rely mesaages is unreal.
when i travel south i have a pay as you go cell phone which is great. only talk when you need it. to BS with a buddy i use the land line when i get to my parents house. cell phones and communication is great as long as it is used as a business. but when someone is phoning 10 times a day just to see what you are doing then it is for the teenagers.

link me to the cell phone thread, please.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c

Ha ha, so is a Holmes 750! Sweet job 25c, excellent pics. The cell phone is a modern day time saver. In the old school days, farmer would have had to call your office, then they'd contact you...somehow. You'd got there eventually. The cell phone is a modern tool that allows all this to happen more quickly. On the other hand, not many modern wreckers can do what the old 750 can. Ya ain't gonna make a side boom lift with a modern tail dragger. Long live the old GMC with the 750! :notworthy

I was talking to the farmer today and he said the sprayer rig was a 1998 model and it was outdated and needed to be replaced.Then I thought about my 1974 gmc wrecker and it seems to be working fine.Hard to beet the old iron.

td25c

Nice call again , I like how you mave that air hose reel mounted on the bed like that

Not to hijack your post but heres my Holmes : Only mine is 1:24 scale

Thats a nice looking B model mack wrecker CAT D9H.The air hose comes in handy when operating air tools.

td25c

that farmer is very lucky because serious damage could have been done. also cameras do not show anything to do with height and angles. good job and i see you had everything you need on the truck.

ok, in the great white north we don't have cell phones only land lines and the cafe table of truth. a week ago, "they" burnt the phone tower down and we have no phones. i have my own internet dish that i'm using to order parts and chase things down. the amount of gas i'm using in the vehicle to run here and there and to rely mesaages is unreal.
when i travel south i have a pay as you go cell phone which is great. only talk when you need it. to BS with a buddy i use the land line when i get to my parents house. cell phones and communication is great as long as it is used as a business. but when someone is phoning 10 times a day just to see what you are doing then it is for the teenagers.

link me to the cell phone thread, please.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

King,you must have read my mind,the farmer kept telling me all afternoon how lucky he was this time.It could have ended up alot worse.If it had broken the lower leg on the spray rig it could have turned over on its side,or it could have happend on a busy highway.I would much rather deal with it in the corn field than on the highway .Here is a pic of the sheetmetal gouging in to the plastic tank.We were lucky it did not rip it open.Thanks for the comments King and I hope you get your phone service back soon.The cell phone thread is titled "cell phones in the cab" under the general industry questions section .I would link you to it but I dont know how to do that.

Attachments

• sprayer broke 010.jpg
    sprayer broke 010.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,994

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Tell me about the GMC

Hey 25c, I have a soft spot for the old GMC's. Looks like an old Navy tow truck? I noticed it has a butterfly hood, is it an 80 series? What drivetrain does it have? Any pictures of the interor?

Dug

td25c

Dug Overburden,I am the same way about the old gmc trucks.You are close on your guess,it is an ex-army wrecker.You can always tell the holmes military beds by the square corners that give them a "boxey" look.Butterfly hood works great for adding a heavy pipe bumper on the front.The truck is a 1974 gmc 7500 powerd by a 6-V 53 detriot,tranny is a rt610 10 speed,rears are 34,000lb eatons 5.57 ratio.50 mph is top speed.It also has the factory triple frame section that runs from the wrecker mast to the tailboard.I like it's short wheelbase for off road jobs,It has some toolbox space under the welder&torch.I need more toolbox space.here are a few more pics Dug.

Attachments

• more wreckers 001.jpg
    more wreckers 001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,971
  • more wreckers 002.jpg
    more wreckers 002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,959
  • more wreckers 003.jpg
    more wreckers 003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,030

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wow that's sweet!

RT610 tranny...one of the smoothest shiftin' transmissions made. :cool:

Yep, that's a 6V53 noisemaker. :D

I love the wrench that tightens/loosens the torch tank clamp. No chance loosing that wrench...just make sure you don't loose the bolt! :bouncegri

td25c

Thats a big 10-4 ATCOEQUIP,the rt610 is a smooth shifter.About the wrench,I got tired of grabing in the tool box for 3 wrenches every time I changed the tanks.So I made one that would do it all.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Is that a Hurst "T" handle on the shift lever?Ron G

td25c

RonG,Its not a hurst "T" handel but it looks and feels like one .Its a piece of 1" round stock that is threaded in the center.

busdrivernine

1974 now that was when trucks was a real mans truck made out of METAL!!!! NOT THE PLASTIC CRAP OF TODAYS standards

td25c

1974 now that was when trucks was a real mans truck made out of METAL!!!! NOT THE PLASTIC CRAP OF TODAYS standards

I agree busdrivernine.I like the trucks of the 1950's,60's&70's.I have a 1984 kenworth w-900 wrecker with the 750 holmes bed on it.I like it to,but not as much as the older trucks that were surrounded by steel.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
RonG,Its not a hurst "T" handel but it looks and feels like one .Its a piece of 1" round stock that is threaded in the center.

I have one of those "T" handles in its original package that I scrounged off of my BILs '68 GTX before it got traded for that Hemi RR back in '71.
I am working on a camera that needs a special wrench so I turned one on my lathe the other day.I ended up using 1/2" black iron pipe for stock as the inside diameter was close enough to what I needed but it was to make a spanner wrench to disassemble a Voigtlander Bessamatic camera.
I like making "one off" items for my needs when I can,your "T" handle has to work at least as good as the Hurst jobby did!Ron G

td25c

I have one of those "T" handles in its original package that I scrounged off of my BILs '68 GTX before it got traded for that Hemi RR back in '71.
I am working on a camera that needs a special wrench so I turned one on my lathe the other day.I ended up using 1/2" black iron pipe for stock as the inside diameter was close enough to what I needed but it was to make a spanner wrench to disassemble a Voigtlander Bessamatic camera.
I like making "one off" items for my needs when I can,your "T" handle has to work at least as good as the Hurst jobby did!Ron G

Thats neet RonG.You can do alot with a metal lathe.My "T" handel works great.Just dont get me started talking about MOPAR'S.GTX,Roadrunner,Superbee,charger,pistol grip shifters,Hemi engines and so on.Or We will be talking all night.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thats neet RonG.You can do alot with a metal lathe.My "T" handel works great.Just dont get me started talking about MOPAR'S.GTX,Roadrunner,Superbee,charger,pistol grip shifters,Hemi engines and so on.Or We will be talking all night.

Sorry 25c...can't help myself, had a buddy in high school had a Roadrunner with a Hemi...we called it the Thunder Chicken! That thing would scoot. :D