• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wrecker call

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
awesome pics, great pulls and a very nice well taken care of old truck. Still getting the job done, and will be longer than this new stuff.

Trbo

td25c

ATCOEQUIP,We will have to start a new thread ,and talk about " thunder chicken" and Mopars.I'l post a pic of my old Mopar.gat-zke,EZ TRBO,& ATCOEQUIP,Thanks for the comments on the truck.It comes In handy at times.Sometimes I feel like the guy that everyone hates to call but they are always happy to hear the detroit diesel screaming down the road to the recovery.One thing I like about the old mechanical wreckers is you can let the truck idle while winching so I can listen to the cable wrap on the drum.You can tell alot about how hard its pulling by the sound of the cable as it is wrapping up on the drum.I guess wreckers & guitars have something in common,the tighter the string ,the higher the pitch.They both make good music.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sometimes I feel like the guy that everyone hates to call but they are always happy to hear the detroit diesel screaming down the road to the recovery.

LoL, I had already thought of that! How many times you have received the call and some driver or farmer is standing out there watching to see that "yellar thang" bearing down the road. You ought to hand letter "I'm on the way!" on the front bumper. :D

td25c

service call

My cell phone rang again this morning.The spray rig that I repaired the broken leg on two weeks ago started having fuel trouble .It has a left & right side fuel tank and a electric selector valve for each tank.It had quit drawing out of the left side tank and the farmer installed a new selector valve but it did not fix the problem.After looking close at the suction lines around the valve I noticed a small kink in the left side suction hose so I unhooked the hose from the valve and drop tube at the fuel tank and put some air pressure though it and blew out a piece of silicone that had lodged in the kink.I rerouted the hose and sliped a short piece of garden hose over the fuel line to keep it from kinking again.

Attachments

• sprayer service all 001.jpg
    sprayer service all 001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 953
  • sprayer service all 002.jpg
    sprayer service all 002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 948
  • sprayer service all 004.jpg
    sprayer service all 004.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 955

td25c

Here is what came out of the fuel line.

Attachments

• sprayer service all 005.jpg
    sprayer service all 005.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 949

td25c

More spray rigg work

We were setting concrete forms at a job site yesterday and my cell phone rang .The farmer had hit a hole in the field and broke a gusset bracket on the right front wheel.I told him we will be there to repair it this morning.This let the tire get in to the strut at the top so it scuffed up the inner sidewall abit.I torched out & beveled the crack then after we got the wheel pulled back in position I laid down some 6011&7018 electric glue with the miller welder.I used both drums on the 750 holmes this time and all the cribbing I had on the truck.I lifted the bent wheel with the port side boom to install a jack stand under the wheel hub frame,then I rigged The starboard side drum up for a side pull off the port side to straighten the wheel.

Attachments

• 316.jpg
    316.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,611
  • 317.jpg
    317.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,065
  • 318.jpg
    318.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,751

td25c

We used all of our cribbing and most of my snach blocks on the repair.At least we had a shady spot to work under .

Attachments

• 320.jpg
    320.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,563
  • 321.jpg
    321.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,981

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
i would have packed a lunch and really enjoyed the day in the forest welding up a broken thingy, LOL.

most likely it was too hot because there was no breeze and the bugs were bad. kill one and thousand show up at the funeral, LOL

once again 25c does an excellent job.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm getting the feeling that GMC/750 Holmes might as well be an ambulance in his area. Has to be sitting there, full of fuel, loaded with work material, and ready to go. :D

Nice work and nice pics 25C!

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Wrecker call:

Nice rigging job, 25c... :thumbsup

OCR

td25c

Thanks for the comments King,Wolf,ATCOEQUIP,&OCR.After viewing the pictures of the job ,It does look like we were in a woodland paradise .We were setting in a power line right-of-way that the farmer uses to get to the field.Dad did set up some folding lawn chairs so he and the farmer could talk about the economy and tell me how to fix the spray rigg.Its always good to have critics at the jobsite.Always listen to your critics as they will tell you all your faults.The repair went well and we got it done in about 3 hours.One thing I like about the old Holmes wrecker beds is that you can set up and pull from any direction with some snach blocks.Ernest Holmes built a nice wrecker bed.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ernest Holmes built a nice wrecker bed.

And I think he designed it for "towing and recovery". You, sir, find a way to utilize every capability the rig has. Even with spectators in folding chairs present. :D

ScottAR

I've REALLY enjoyed this thread and hope it continues...

Just FYI, someone with a hot wallet needs to scoop up the
8x8 IH with 850 holmes on Ebay. #190330088899

Protect your keyboard from drool.

td25c

That is a nice looking wrecker DigDug.I like the Holmes 850 bed teamed up whith the IH twinn steer truck.

MOUNTAIN MAN

(Life)Tete Jaune B.C/(Live)Grande Prairie AB
Occupation
School, grd 10 now!
Nice work there 25c, I'll get some pictures of a Holmes wrecker I know of, I believe it's bigger and it's mountaed on another classic truck, a White-Western Star, I'll get some pictures this spring and post them on this thread, if that's alright with you :D