• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yarder moved by rail...

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
That load is balanced over 4' 8.5". Doubtful there's that much smooth straight and leveled track on the mainline much less in the hills to do that today.

Welder Dave

Has to be quite the pucker factor driving onto the railcar with the tracks hanging over the edge.

chris berlin

Has to be quite the pucker factor driving onto the railcar with the tracks hanging over the edge.
The decks on rail cars used for moves like this where widened and reinforced, generally 2 cars of this type where used. But still it looks like one shot deal......
Here is a picture where a speeder is the locomotive and an older Loader is used...
img487.jpg

Last edited:

JaredV

No different then tracks hanging over the edge of a lowboy trailer, except it's farther to go to hit the ground. It looked to me like he's got a hydraulic undercarriage so he's got good control and the car was flat and level.

skyking1

Those are fun times, thanks for posting @chris berlin
Note the snatch block on the stick heel on the excavator. You can pick a huge load there, compared to out at the end of the stick. Good to see an example of that.
They had an old B-E with the stick off it and a winch hung out there around these parts for just that reason.

Welder Dave

No different then tracks hanging over the edge of a lowboy trailer, except it's farther to go to hit the ground. It looked to me like he's got a hydraulic undercarriage so he's got good control and the car was flat and level.
The forestry machines are a lot higher up and top heavy than an excavator.

Old Growth

Sketchy as hell transporting such a tall load on 4.5' wide wheel centers!

Basically like moving that loader around on mini excavator width tracks!!

Old Growth

Except the lowboys wheels/tires are 8' wide, not 4.5' wide!!!

JaredV

The forestry machines are a lot higher up and top heavy than an excavator.
Except I never mentioned excavators. Forestry machines move on lowboys with the tracks hanging over, too. I'm more interested in the 56.5 inch rail gauge with that tall of a load.

Welder Dave

Low boys are lower to the ground and the wheels are much wider apart. Still pretty sketchy loading them when the machine is wider and hanging over the sides. Probably pretty hairy for the truck driver too.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Except I never mentioned excavators. Forestry machines move on lowboys with the tracks hanging over, too. I'm more interested in the 56.5 inch rail gauge with that tall of a load.
Yes it looks tippy, but it's common to take an meter gage loco and set it on top
of a standard gage flat car for shipping.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
The only trick to moving with a bullcar is making sure the end of the car you walk off is supported. Cars just sit on the trucks with a pin poking down to catch the bolster on the trucks. there is no retainer involved. If, you are too far away from the brow log or do not have support, the end of the car will pivot up and it then becomes real interesting. Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie bought their first Madills in 1976(?) as a batch of 3-009s and 1- 046, all on tracks. They came out of Canada by rail. When they started to unload in the sort yard, they had quite an audience admiring the new iron. The first 009 came down the car and started off the car onto the browlog and up in the air went the other end of the car. The gasp sucked all the oxygen out of a three county area. The car pivoted under the 009 and came to rest on the ground. No damage to the machine. After assessing the mess, they dumped several loads of gravel at the end of the cars still on the rail and walked the rest off. No big deal. The only comment I heard was from out senior log truck driver who was a hold over from the end of RR logging and had hired out as a brakeman when first hired on in the '30s. He commented; "well, they didn't want my opinion..." He retired with 44 years at Weyerhaeuser about 6 months later.
If, you watch close, they jam the car into a pile of dirt before loading. A little crude, but it works. 30 years after the filming, not many people left with experience doing a task like that.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
A locomotive wouldn't be as tippy but would have to be just as careful moving it.
it doesn't hang down off the sides, it's much higher perched up on the flat bed car, the trucks
removed and cribbing pyramids holding it up there.
The point is the rail width is still the same.

Welder Dave

The weight of a locomotive is in a narrower section in the middle. A yarder puts weight out wider and has a higher center of gravity. Wouldn't want to move either but given the choice would rather move a locomotive.