• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2011 John Deere 310J All Hyrdaulics Lost

Garrett Ahlf

2011 John Deere 310J S/N 1T0310JXAB0201801

New to the Board I own a small equipment rental company in CA and searched for the solution to my problem and it led me to these forums. I have seen similar issues but mine seems to be a little more unique (I believe).

Customer of mine was using the backhoe with the bucket and out riggers down. He went to go remove a small stump next to the trench he was digging and lost all hydraulics when he went to curl the hoe bucket.

I went up and replaced the main pump behind that transmission thinking this had to be the issues but I was wrong. After installing new pump the back hoe still has zero function in the bucket, steering, out riggers and back hoe. Checked fuses as well. It will shift in FWD and REV. I can do some mechanics myself but when it comes to hydraulics it gets a little confusing for me.

Location of the backhoe is in the middle of the CA sierras next to a little neighborhood of cabins and trying to get it up and running before having to send a mechanic up there to diagnose/fix the problem.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Garrett;)!

Did you take apart the old pump to see if it is damaged? Does the shaft on the old pump turn? If the old pump is seized up, then the pump drive shaft broke (yes, the trans will still drive). If the old pump is not seized up see next comment.

You said all hydraulics. Loader does not work also? If not, then replace the relief valve in the inlet section of the backhoe valve.

Garrett Ahlf

Welcome to HEF Garrett;)!

Did you take apart the old pump to see if it is damaged? Does the shaft on the old pump turn? If the old pump is seized up, then the pump drive shaft broke (yes, the trans will still drive). If the old pump is not seized up see next comment.

You said all hydraulics. Loader does not work also? If not, then replace the relief valve in the inlet section of the backhoe valve.

I already replaced the pump with a new one but I’ll check the old pump.

do you have a part number and diagram where the pressure relief would go? I tried looking it up and got multiple “pressure relief” valves.

Garrett Ahlf

Just left the John Deere dealership and they are saying it’s probably a shaft broke inside the transmission. Not sure if they are trying to shaft me with a big mobile mechanic bill.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
do I need to prime the pump after replacing relief valve?

No.

Just left the John Deere dealership and they are saying it’s probably a shaft broke inside the transmission. Not sure if they are trying to shaft me with a big mobile mechanic bill.

It is a job you can easily do. It can be replaced with the hydraulic pump and 1 snap ring removed. If you remove the pump, you can check the shaft by trying to turn it. If it turns by hand (or by a pair of snap ring pliers expanded in the pump drive for grip), the the shaft is broken. But check your old pump first like I mentioned.

Garrett Ahlf

No.

It is a job you can easily do. It can be replaced with the hydraulic pump and 1 snap ring removed. If you remove the pump, you can check the shaft by trying to turn it. If it turns by hand (or by a pair of snap ring pliers expanded in the pump drive for grip), the the shaft is broken. But check your old pump first like I mentioned.

Im Guessing its this Shaft that could possibly be broken? T379752 Closest thing I could find and it looks like it powers the PTO or in this case the main hydraulic pump?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-08 16.15.04.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-08 16.15.04.png
    327.7 KB · Views: 14

Garrett Ahlf

#22 would be correct. Part number is T379751.
Awesome any other secrets I need to know. Gonna head back up there this week. Can the snap wring fall into the machine or broken shaft fall in?

I attached a photo of where I’m working. Barley any room underneath get around.

Attachments

• 283CE739-E6E8-4511-B82C-01EF0739038E.jpeg
    283CE739-E6E8-4511-B82C-01EF0739038E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Snap ring or shaft won't fall into the machine. Take a strong extendable magnet to pull the broken half of the shaft out. That bearing on the end of the shaft is pressed on. You might want to order the other snap ring and bearing (items 23 and 24) and have the assembly ready to just put in. Otherwise, you have to press the bearing off the old shaft and onto the new.

Garrett Ahlf

Snap ring or shaft won't fall into the machine. Take a strong extendable magnet to pull the broken half of the shaft out. That bearing on the end of the shaft is pressed on. You might want to order the other snap ring and bearing (items 23 and 24) and have the assembly ready to just put in. Otherwise, you have to press the bearing off the old shaft and onto the new.

thank you sir that’s exactly what I needed to know. Wouldn’t have been able to do that with the tools I have in my truck. Appreciate the help once again. Wish me luck!