• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2011 John Deere 310J All Hyrdaulics Lost

Garrett Ahlf

Snap ring or shaft won't fall into the machine. Take a strong extendable magnet to pull the broken half of the shaft out. That bearing on the end of the shaft is pressed on. You might want to order the other snap ring and bearing (items 23 and 24) and have the assembly ready to just put in. Otherwise, you have to press the bearing off the old shaft and onto the new.
Finally got my parts in going Wednesday to put the shaft in and cross my fingers. I bought and extra bearing just in case. Should I get the bearing pressed on the shaft first or should I try and install shaft in existing bearing. Not sure if it will be pressed in and hard to pull out with existing bearing and shaft.

I don’t want to get back up there and get stuck in the middle of the job if I can’t pull the bearing and shaft out of the tractor. Thanks I’m advance for the advice

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Have the new bearing pressed onto the shaft first. The shaft/bearing assembly should not be difficult to remove. You might have to insert and spread a snap ring plier to pull or use a small pilot bearing puller. Two screw drivers prying can sometimes work as well. The bearing is a slip fit into the housing. Make sure you have a strong magnet to pull the broken piece out.

Garrett Ahlf

Have the new bearing pressed onto the shaft first. The shaft/bearing assembly should not be difficult to remove. You might have to insert and spread a snap ring plier to pull or use a small pilot bearing puller. Two screw drivers prying can sometimes work as well. The bearing is a slip fit into the housing. Make sure you have a strong magnet to pull the broken piece out.

thank you! I got extendable magnets, snap ring pliers (both internal and external) I pressed the bearing on the shaft today. Headed back up there tomorrow crossing my fingers! This has been quite the adventure/headache. My customer isn’t too happy :-/

Attachments

• F17ADB88-CB4C-477A-AC98-BA241C740B06.jpeg
    F17ADB88-CB4C-477A-AC98-BA241C740B06.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 8

Garrett Ahlf

#20 on the parts page.
Got the ring at JD this morning at 7am. The shaft behind the pump was free spinning but had difficulty removing it. Almost gave up and went back into town for a bearing puller but I turned on the unit to make sure it wasn’t spinning and the fluid(not sure what kind but it was kind of milky)that came out through the bearing actually helped push out the bearing and broken top of the shaft and was able to get two screw drivers and pry it out.

All hydraulics started working and topped off hydraulic fluid from what has spilt from removing pump. The only issue I’m having now is steering is hard to steer but it’s back in my yard for further assessment.

I owe you a bottle of your favorite drink or something because you were the only one to give me solid advice and I can’t thank you enough!

Attachments

• EE843C2A-D854-4C96-AB0A-CADE261CB8A6.jpeg
    EE843C2A-D854-4C96-AB0A-CADE261CB8A6.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 9

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The only issue I’m having now is steering is hard to steer but it’s back in my yard for further assessment.

Debris from a pump failure stuck in the priority valve.

I hope you changed the hydraulic filter. Also cut open the old hydraulic filter to see the extent of contamination.

Garrett Ahlf

Debris from a pump failure stuck in the priority valve.

I hope you changed the hydraulic filter. Also cut open the old hydraulic filter to see the extent of contamination.

I did but i was done working on it out in the middle of nowhere so i put it on the trailer and brought it back to my yard. Going to go through the whole machine, full service top to bottom. Going to cut open the hydraulic filter and see whats in it when i get a chance and take some of the fluid to get tested.

Where would the priority valve be located? Do i remove it and clean it or do i need to replace it?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Where would the priority valve be located? Do i remove it and clean it or do i need to replace it?

Part of the backhoe valve. When standing at the back of the machine looking at the backhoe valve, it is the section all the way to the right. Follow the main hose from the pump. The other end of the hose goes into the priority valve.

I would try to clean it first, if you can get it out. If you can't, then the section will need to be replaced. Be careful. The caps on the priority spool are under spring tension.

310J Priority Valve.png

Garrett Ahlf

Part of the backhoe valve. When standing at the back of the machine looking at the backhoe valve, it is the section all the way to the right. Follow the main hose from the pump. The other end of the hose goes into the priority valve.

I would try to clean it first, if you can get it out. If you can't, then the section will need to be replaced. Be careful. The caps on the priority spool are under spring tension.

View attachment 271057
Took the spool out it was tough to get out couldn’t find anything let the hydraulic fluid flush it out. Reinstalled and it started working. Found a lot of fine metal in the filter without even having to cut it out so not sure what do to now. If I should keep changing the filter or what.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Any metal is not good. Let's hope the filter caught the bulk of it. Drain the hydraulic oil. Look inside the reservoir and see if there is a lot of metal. Run a magnet across the bottom of the reservoir to see what you pick up. Post pictures.

Last edited:

Garrett Ahlf

Any metal is not good. Let's hope the filter caught the bulk of it. Drain the hydraulic oil. Look inside the reservoir and see if there is a lot of metal. Run a magnet across the bottom of the reservoir to see what you pick up. Post pictures.

This is all I could get from my telescopic magnet from the full tube of the reservoir

Attachments

• E44D5457-8700-4595-9E9B-42386904EC91.jpeg
    E44D5457-8700-4595-9E9B-42386904EC91.jpeg
    893.1 KB · Views: 12