• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6v92 & 8v92 interchangeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
So the old twin steer that I bought a few years ago has a 6v92 in it, It stuck a valve and broke the rocker stand in the head casting. I've got an 8v92 sitting here in the old westcoaster yarder. Would I be able to yank a head off that 8V92 and put it on the 6V?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The "6" and "8" refers to the number of cylinders and the "92" refers to the displacement of each cylinder. Same holds true for all the Detroits from the "53", "71", "92", "110" and "149"
And that is why I figured I could interchange the heads

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I feel, (but don't really know) you'd be hard pressed to find a cylinder head compressor these days to install a 8V-92 cylinder head onto a 6V-92 cylinder block. Same thing to install a 6V head onto an 8V block with an appropriate cylinder head stretcher.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..

Truck Shop

Don't worry Hallback your in good hands-every expert salt water chevy man has answered your
prayers. I put return to sender on those wonderful items vetech flapped over.
Call Hagerman Salvage, but there should be a source for a replacement head in your area.
6V92's were real common.
There are heads all over in a wide range of price online.

Last edited:

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Don't worry Hallback your in good hands-every expert salt water chevy man has answered your
prayers. I put return to sender on those wonderful items vetech flapped over.
Call Hagerman Salvage, but there should be a source for a replacement head in your area.
6V92's were real common.
There are heads all over in a wide range of price online.
Thanks TS!
Hope you have a Merry Christmas buddy and all is well over there.

Tyler d4c

I feel, (but don't really know) you'd be hard pressed to find a cylinder head compressor these days to install a 8V-92 cylinder head onto a 6V-92 cylinder block. Same thing to install a 6V head onto an 8V block with an appropriate cylinder head stretcher.
10 out of 10
9.5 out of 10 for originally

I may have laughed way to much at this

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Don't forget so much WW2 equipment only got to its destination because they were powered by Jimmys - landing craft especially - and quite a bit of armor, too.
Mind you, the drivers and riders all ended up deaf, but at least they got there!
And they automatically covered themselves with oil to prevent corrosion. How brilliant an idea is that!

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I actually like them. Maintained many over the years and still have a 3-53, 8V-71, 6V-92TA, and a 12V-71T at the shop. I use the International truck with the 92TA as my yard horse as the truck around it is no longer road worthy, but it runs well.

TS would think he'd died and went to a happier place if he ever came over here.....

Wouldn't even need to be too worried as I have a varied selection of DDA tooling around to take care of them also. He could even start right away:

20191119_101741.jpg

Got a freshly rebuilt set of fuel injectors to install into this engine I just haven't made time for yet. Got a lopey idle for about 30 seconds upon cold start wanting to address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.