• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6v92 & 8v92 interchangeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

crane operator

People laugh at the Detroit but those are the best engines to ever be installed in a yarder.
"no other engine can have as much wrong with it, and still get you home"- is my favorite detroit quote.

I've had better luck with my inline 6-71 than 6v92. It doesn't make the power, but its been much more reliable.

I imagine the quick throttle response is what makes a detroit nice in the yarder? My 6-71 always tended to wet stack in the crane when doing to much idling. A trip down the road after a week long job- always tended to take a bit to burn the oil out of the exhaust. But that 6-71 was nice from the upper if you were in a hurry.

What have you ended up using the twin steer for? If I recall, it was just bare frame last time I saw pictures of it.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
People laugh at the Detroit but those are the best engines to ever be installed in a yarder.
One of the best standby power generation engines, (IMO). Maintained many of them in that service and the two stroke engines are the smoothest/cleanest in frequency output through the windings I've seen without additional filtering/conditioning.

Truck Shop

I have a no return policy............only applies to the Northwest part of the country.
I know the route drivers-any suspicious packages return to midwest-the great fly over.
Great as a stationary but for vehicles not so much---The only reason one buys a
Salt Water Chevy--they were too cheap to buy a Cat or Cummins. Two strokes are
the King of Obsolete.

Truck Shop

"no other engine can have as much wrong with it, and still get you home"- is my favorite detroit quote.
There is some truth to that----This 1979 Piece of Sh!t Two Story Ford shot through two
Double OO 92's before it had a Silver transplanted. Double OO's were crank breaking
pos's, really the engine that caused Detroits sales to drop to 4% in early eighties.
Anywho---Steve Fischer a friend of mine long since gone, drove this POS below from
Buttonwillow at the bottom of the Grapevine on the northside, to Emerson Diesel in
Seattle with a broken crank. Over a thousand miles.
2 Story Ford Front View.jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I think what makes them so great for yarding applications is they're extremely durable, if you keep them wet they will run.
They make more RPM and so you'll get faster yarding speeds while they have enough torque down low to get the turn broken free of the bed & moving up the hill.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Don't forget so much WW2 equipment only got to its destination because they were powered by Jimmys - landing craft especially - and quite a bit of armor, too.
Mind you, the drivers and riders all ended up deaf, but at least they got there!
And they automatically covered themselves with oil to prevent corrosion. How brilliant an idea is that!

The M113 APC; there are thousands of them around the world, and most are Detroit powered. A lot of them have gone to Ukraine, Field repair:

Detroit Ukraine.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.