• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980K Transmission Cooler Bracket

CRR

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with 980K transmission cooler bracket bolt failures? My customer has a fleet of 980K’s and I have repeatedly seen this failure. The failure being the bolts for the transmission cooler bracket end up breaking off in the engine block, which then causes the trans cooler to vibrate and leak coolant where it mounts up to the engine oil cooler. Wondering if there’s a better solution or maybe an updated parts solution for it. Thanks!

8V71

I have experienced this as well. It’s not just the 980k’s. I’ve seen this in other applications as well, both vertical and horizontal mounting. C15 uses 10mm bolts and 3406C uses 3/8 bolts for the bracket mounting and I believe they are under sized for the weight of that large cooler. I have looked and have not found any service bulletins on the issue. I have had luck over sizing the bolts 1 size. Have not tried it on the horizontal application that bolt to the oil pan like on the 621,23,27’s.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I just had a 980k in with broken cooler bracket bolts. It must be a problem. I haven’t seen a letter on it.