• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

Welder Dave

Wouldn't the 1st thing to consider be that the air lines are froze? That's why they make special antifreeze for air lines. Even caging brakes should have been right up there to get the trailer moved. Sounds like they were playing dumb so someone else would go under the truck to cage the brakes. Hope you made them do it and charged them a lot.

Truck Shop

There was no playing dumb-they are dumb. Problem is only a few trailers with drum brakes left
in the fleet, most all are disc including tractors. Not freezing up is the one saving grace of disc.
Although the air still can. Plus the thing with disc no one can really tell what's going on unless
you know air disc. Drum brakes are becoming a thing of the past, and peoples memories are
about as long as what's hanging.
The other thing everyone on here takes it for granted it should be known. The only thing a
driver in todays world keeps track of and remembers---is when he's getting low on -------
Little Debbie Snacks!

Welder Dave

I think it was early last year they stopped selling Little Debbie cakes in Canada. A few month's ago they stopped selling Kleenex in Canada. Seems like a pretty big market to drop out of. Maybe they couldn't keep up with Canada trying to stay warm eating snack cakes and blowing their runny noses??

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So went to the shop this morning and temp inside was 58, furnace running perfectly.
Was 6 here this morning.
Already had rods, pistons and rings installed on Friday, so this morning I installed all six
in block and camshaft, having the engine stand I really had to fart around to get a full
1.5 hours on install, cam 10 minutes. The reason I built the stand, too easy. Ready the
rod with bearings, check that rings are in position lube everything set in liner. Roll engine
to vertical install cap torque, roll back to horizontal. I really like being able to do a complete
assembly in my street clothes. Everything is clean no crap to wade in, engine goes together
like clock work, the way I remember years ago when I used a stand. Really after installing
the crank and cylinder kits in this block, I wouldn't do another with out it at my age.
Really any major shop or even a small one is stupid not to have one, the time saved
combined with the safety factor absolutely makes it a must. The best thing I've done for
myself in years.
View attachment 303079
That’s sure gonna look good at my place when you’re done…..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Nuke has two 855s on Gensets, two on fire pumps. Nobody in house has a Clue how to read service manuals or has experience working on them. Cummins had to call a Tech in from PA to inspect head leaks and offer a repair plan. None of local Cummins techs knew what to look for as are not X series. Last full timer on Onan Gensets retired last year. All four are Small Cam. Also an 1160 sitting as a genset driver in a emergency service building, wanted Cummins to inspect for continued service, no gots nobody to do that!!!

All installed mid 1970s. Genset for security backup is a 16v92 siamese engine. That is also becoming a lead ballon.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
What brand is yours, and does it require outside air compressor? If you don't mind me asking.

I keep looking at them, if nothing else as a way to get rid of used oil. The ones I was around 15-20 years ago were fussy about burning and igniters, and needed outside air.

They certainly haven't gotten any cheaper. And only burning 1,000-1,500 gal of propane a year, its a long payback.
I have been running a Clean burn waste oil heater for 15 years. look simillar to TS black one. has 14,000 hrs on it. great unit with very little maintance.

Truck Shop

Here's the funny thing-Dwight the wheat farmer x cat mechanic friend has no trucks at this point
with Cat power. Quote {The old B models are great-but cost too much for what I'm doing}.
From a Cat guy, everything is N14 or BC.

eastroad

Nuke has two 855s on Gensets, two on fire pumps. Nobody in house has a Clue how to read service manuals or has experience working on them. Cummins had to call a Tech in from PA to inspect head leaks and offer a repair plan. None of local Cummins techs knew what to look for as are not X series. Last full timer on Onan Gensets retired last year. All four are Small Cam. Also an 1160 sitting as a genset driver in a emergency service building, wanted Cummins to inspect for continued service, no gots nobody to do that!!!

All installed mid 1970s. Genset for security backup is a 16v92 siamese engine. That is also becoming a lead ballon.
That is kinda scary. Safety and security depending on almost 50 year old equipment....
Hospitals and such around here have to replace/update/upgrade on a regular schedule based on many factors, including age. Hours can be low, no matter. Let’s think about it; how many hot starts can you expect bearings to take before failure? Even with pre-lube there’s bound to be some damage.

Truck Shop

Let’s think about it; how many hot starts can you expect bearings to take before failure? Even with pre-lube there’s bound to be some damage.
I don't think the risk of the starts are a problem---but one that is-Old, liner O-rings leaking very
slowly because of age, coolant in the basement. I get a kick out of people starting a wet sleave
engine that's been setting for X amount, and the seep starts. IMO.

Tyler d4c

I don't think the risk of the starts are a problem---but one that is-Old, liner O-rings leaking very
slowly because of age, coolant in the basement. I get a kick out of people starting a wet sleave
engine that's been setting for X amount, and the seep starts. IMO.
Bars leak has been keeping the coolant upstairs in the c12 for many miles. If it blows up I'll put orings in it. Stupid idea cat had there with only 1 oring on the bottom of the sleeve.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Nuke is beyond ignorant on rules. The plant owners have to write up a Final Safety Analysis Report (FSAR) as per NRC Decrees when constructed, has to label by Builder ID Plate every piece of machinery inside that report so to replace pieces with a newer Like/Kind have to rewrite amend that report where the NRC takes YEARS to approve those amendments

Idiots in Government Red Tape factories, no idea what they are looking at as a Like Kind Replacement as does not have the exact same Builder ID Numbers. Hospitals, Jails, IT or FCC systems, even the Fossil Power Stations have no such garbage requirements. 80% of the machinery in a Nuke is no longer produced, builder went out of business, cannot get a New Builder to prepare the quantified Pedigree paperwork for a “N” stamp on the final product.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Fairbanks supplied the 14cyl emergency backup generators for loss of site power for emergency core cooling (ECCS) built by Colt/Pielstick they are beyond obsolete. 6.2mw generators are fast becoming seriously difficult buy parts for. Switchgear on them is archaic, yet the NRC declined to accept a writ to allow researching replacement units.

None of the installed 855s or that 1160(K) or the 16v will get replaced, takes millions $$$ in paperwork just to consider. Is why most of the older plants are just closing and being torn down.