• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Good looking truck....looks like it got repowered..That's not the 12v71 in the 3rd pic

It is a 12v71 but it has been up graded with twin turbos , the shop crew ( Gordy Roberson , Cal Oliver , Mike Cross , sorry if I missed anybody ) at Caycuse took good care of their log trucks .

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Cool....that explains why its still got the twin mufflers in the 4th pic..Looks like the engine got a fresh coat of paint as well

camptramp

Occupation
Cool....that explains why its still got the twin mufflers in the 4th pic..Looks like the engine got a fresh coat of paint as well

Can't remember , I've driven the truck , but I think that is a brand new Silver series 12v 71 engine . The Caycuse shop Twin Turbo'ed #6-249 (#40-126) , #6-250 (#40-127) , #6-251 (#40-128) around the time BCFP was taken over by Fletcher Challenge . The #40-126 got a new 12v 71 , the shop crew (Cal Oliver and Mike Cross ) did in house rebuilds on 2 natural 12v 71's , converting them to twin turbo'ed 12v 71 engines for the #40-127 and #40-128 , the #40-127 and #40-128 were considered "Hot Rods" compared to the #40-126 .

Last edited:

Shoepeg

Camptramp, they ain't nothing wrong with your memory or your friend set. It appear you have a good memory and a wonderful group of friend that share their photos, for which we are grateful.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Camptramp. As far as I know Detroit did not make a Silver 71. Silver series were the 92. They had a totally different sound and lots of torque. If anyone has come across a Silver 71 I would like more info on it.sending you a PM.

camptramp

Occupation
Camptramp. As far as I know Detroit did not make a Silver 71. Silver series were the 92. They had a totally different sound and lots of torque. If anyone has come across a Silver 71 I would like more info on it.sending you a PM.

The #40-96 a Pacific P 16 was moved from Nanaimo Lakes to HBO in late 1991 , it came with a natural 12V 71 , it was repowered with a brand new Silver Twin Turbo 12V 71 in 1993 . At the same time the #40-91 a Pacific P 16 was repowered with a regular Twin Turbo'ed 12V 71 , both had about the same power , couldn't catch the #40-127 or #40-128 HDX Hayes .

camptramp

Occupation
Camptramp, they ain't nothing wrong with your memory or your friend set. It appear you have a good memory and a wonderful group of friend that share their photos, for which we are grateful.

I've been very fortunate to have been loaned the pictures that are shared on this sight . I know where there are quite a few more , and when ever I run into old friends or new friends who are associated with the Forest Industry I inquire about pictures , only acouple who have pictures have declined . So a big thanks to those who have shared their pictures and the "Mission of Posting as many pictures as I can find " continues .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
The #40-96 a Pacific P 16 was moved from Nanaimo Lakes to HBO in late 1991 , it came with a natural 12V 71 , it was repowered with a brand new Silver Twin Turbo 12V 71 in 1993 . At the same time the #40-91 a Pacific P 16 was repowered with a regular Twin Turbo'ed 12V 71 , both had about the same power , couldn't catch the #40-127 or #40-128 HDX Hayes .

Well there you go,been a good day since I learned something new.

HDX

6-249 " PURE NOSTALGIA" I do prefer the tri-color but she looks good in any color! Funny Dave somehow looks a little younger there. Was measuring up the door decals and other details on 6-252 today Will get new decals made that will mirror image the original ones. Was wondering why the front air cleaner bracket (big plate) was cut up so bad and cut down so to speak on 246!!!! Must have been done in the shop because she left the factory with the proper one. Cant install hood skirts on her till that bracket is replaced and the air cleaner intake hose is re-routed.

HDX

This is 6-228 on Gorge 500. She was bought by Pat Carson Bulldozing and then was taken over by Hayes Forest Services. They rebuilt her as a conventional truck and replaced the sticks with an Allison and a C-15 Cat engine.
She just came back from IPL mini-rebuild in shop at Chemainus. Pete Glaser got her when she came back until he got H-159 back. (engine trouble)
IMG_2994.jpgIMG_2995.jpgIMG_2996.jpgIMG_2997.jpg

HDX

The newest member of the family is now a lot closer to home. Went out and worked on her. Got most of the lights working now. Rained all day so it was a good time to give her a bath.
IMG_3142.jpgIMG_3143.jpgIMG_3144.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
This is 6-228 on Gorge 500. She was bought by Pat Carson Bulldozing and then was taken over by Hayes Forest Services. They rebuilt her as a conventional truck and replaced the sticks with an Allison and a C-15 Cat engine.
She just came back from IPL mini-rebuild in shop at Chemainus. Pete Glaser got her when she came back until he got H-159 back. (engine trouble)
View attachment 141225View attachment 141226View attachment 141227View attachment 141228

Very nice.The truck looks great...I see the rear brake pots are mounted vertical as apposed to aprox 45 deg..Is that a hayes thing or is it done to get them out of harms way..I have seen it done on a P-16 before as well...

diamondtguy

Occupation
I like it (40-125)....I gather she is retired now..Cant really tell but looks like a Allison hanging in there...What year is the truck ??

HDX

1973 Yes RETIRED Allison 5960 and the booster brackets are optional. Some trucks have one or two of each Some 90 degrees some 45. Lots of work ahead but will look really good when done. Not going to rush into things. Got most parts I will need ,its just a case of getting the right parts made and fabricated I will try with the hood skirts first and see how they turn out. I have a few to try . If any of them will work then it will give me a template for the new ones. The front bumper will be a job unto itself. Major cutting and fabricating to get it straight again. Will take pictures to keep you up with what is going on with her. Will probably give her a cosmetic clean up till the time comes for the paint job and decals. That will be the last thing though. More work on lights and electrical system first the interior. Picked up 10 gals of motor oil today to change that- ordered filters so at least it is a start

dirty4fun

HDX, looks like you have some work to do on the old girl, it might take a while to have her like new. Bet she will look great when done, lucky that you were able to get her and save her for everyone to see. Looks pretty solid, so you have something to work with. I am sure in your mind you can see her potential, and how great she will be when done.

HDX

Here is a couple pictures of 6-228 after Pat Carson bought her and converted her to a conventional truck from being a pre-load These were at Mesachie Lake shop prior to
Hayes Forest buying them out. Here she still retained her V12 GM engine and the manual shift transmissions .You can see another exBCFP conventional truck parked beside her with the trailer down. Those pictures are for another time.
IMG_0172.JPGIMG_0173.JPG

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I've been very fortunate to have been loaned the pictures that are shared on this sight . I know where there are quite a few more , and when ever I run into old friends or new friends who are associated with the Forest Industry I inquire about pictures , only acouple who have pictures have declined . So a big thanks to those who have shared their pictures and the "Mission of Posting as many pictures as I can find " continues .

Many, many thanks to you and the rest, sir.

HDX

The Budget Steel bin in the background of post #1777 was an omen of things to come. These pictures are the sad end of another BCFP Caycuse Div. truck, unit 6-234. Truck 6-233 had already been recycled in these bins and now it's 6-234's turn. Both these trucks had been bought by Hayes Forest and then reduced to parts only. The rest went into the bins. HFS did not believe in pre-loads so you are seeing the end result.
IMG_0378.JPGIMG_0381.JPGIMG_0382.JPGIMG_0383.JPG