• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Cathy Fielding , The first picture is of Eric Saari standing by logging truck under picture is printed "Chehalis" /46 2nd picture A.C. Buckland 1946 3rd picture is Eric Saari on right note the "Bone Dry" hat he's wearing .scan00.jpgscan01.jpgscan02.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy Fielding 1st picture Two gentlemen standing on a large and high stump 2nd picture Norm Johnson & Eric Saari standing by rail road tracks . 3rd picture Eric Saari and unknown standing by large tree . 4th picture Howard Scowcroft surveying behind what looks like a Cook House . 5th picture looks like Eric Saari standing behind a house or office in a logging camp .scan06.jpgscan07.jpgscan08.jpgscan09.jpgscan10.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
The name Chehalis is pretty unique. I have only known it to be associated with the Chehalis Indians, located near Aberdeen, WA, my birth place. Is it possible that Mr. Saari worked in that area for a while?

https://www.chehalistribe.org/

camptramp

Occupation
The name Chehalis is pretty unique. I have only known it to be associated with the Chehalis Indians, located near Aberdeen, WA, my birth place. Is it possible that Mr. Saari worked in that area for a while?

https://www.chehalistribe.org/

I don't know a lot about Eric Saari in his youth , I did meet a fellow in Bute Inlet in the early 1980's that grew up with Mr. Saari in the Fraser Valley , either there's a Chehalis in the Southwest of BC or for some reason he was in Washington State .

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy Fielding BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture R. Smith , W. Binion , N. Johnson , Eric Saari 1947 . 2nd picture Eric Saari in camp by building . 3rd picture Eric standing by bucked log with "scale stick" 4th picture Eric sitting on log with 30 30 rifle 5th picture S. Burns standing in camp by building .scan11.jpgscan12.jpgscan13.jpgscan14.jpgscan15.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy Fielding BCFP Renfrew Div 1st - 2nd pictures not sure who's climbing Spar Tree . 3rd - 4th pictures G. Forrest , E. Roed with "Tippy" 1950 .scan16.jpgscan17.jpgscan18.jpgscan19.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture H. Martin May 1950 , Hill Martin was genuine old character , a "Hand Faller" in his prime , as was the custom of the times , when he was getting on in age , he was taken off the "Falling & Bucking Department" and put on a Yarding Side as a Landing Bucking . Which was what he was doing when I started working in the Woods . His given name was Martin Hill , but when he immigrated from Finland , some where's along the way he filled out some paper work and put down Martin as his last name , and was forever known in Canadascan23.jpgscan24.jpgscan25.jpg as Hill Martin. 2nd picture note the two man Power Saw .

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) 1st picture Eric Saari with Scale Stick April 1948 . 3rd picture Hill Martin on "Spring Board" Bull Bucker Jim Thompson on ground .scan32.jpgscan33.jpgscan34.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture J. Andrews April 1948 . 2nd picture Eric Saari April 1953 . 3rd picture Hill Martin July 1953 . 4th picture Eric Saari July 1953 .scan40.jpgscan41.jpgscan42.jpgscan43.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture O. Valenius August 1953 . 4th picture Ed Lantinen , O Valenins , Hill Martin August 1953 .scan44.jpgscan45.jpgscan46.jpgscan47.jpg

Len Burton

Occupation
Retired
For those of you that Remember Rick Bialkowski that worked in Port Renfrew in the mid to late 1960s I'm sad to say he passed away on 28th of Sept 2015. I met Rick when we started logging Garbage Creek. He became a chaser then one of the first to take a landing mans position. We became very good friends and have remained so over the years.Rick B.jpgRick_@_Whitespot.jpg

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
For those of you that Remember Rick Bialkowski that worked in Port Renfrew in the mid to late 1960s I'm sad to say he passed away on 28th of Sept 2015. I met Rick when we started logging Garbage Creek. He became a chaser then one of the first to take a landing mans position. We became very good friends and have remained so over the years.View attachment 142471View attachment 142472

Sad to see an old friend pass on . One time in 1966 when I was setting chokers and Rick was chasing , we swapped premium beater "Camp Cars" my 1954 Ford 4 door for his 1957 Plymouth 4 door . I blew up the 318 putting it through the acid test , the old Flat Head wouldn't quit , even with a burn't valve . LOL