• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture a very early picture of Harris Creek Camp ( H-C Camp 3 ) looking over camp towards the Harris Creek Canyon 1946. 2nd picture Bear Creek Camp March 1946 . scan58.jpgscan59.jpgscan60.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture 10 Spot a Climax Locie at Harris Creek Camp May 1946 . 2nd picture a "Unit" a combination Steam Yarder & Loader , Harris Creek Camp May 1947 . 3rd picture #123 "Speeder" Harris Creek Camp Oct. 1953 . 4th picture Harris Creek Camp 1953 .scan61.jpgscan62.jpgscan63.jpgscan64.jpg

Born2clearcut

Post 1816 picture 4 i have same pic of the 3 guys sitting on the stump. mom knows who they are
.it's funny how pictures were shared back then. Maybe the start of the wireless internet lol . Keep up the great job you are
doing digging up and posting all these pictures Al

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture Speeder crossing Bear Creek Trestle . 2nd picture An early picture of Bear Creek Trestle .scan80.jpgscan81.jpgscan82.jpgscan83.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
BCFP Renfrew Div. , #71 Northwest log loader ( early picture shovel has been rigged up to load logs , but cab has not been elevated ) loading #190 Kenworth logging truck at base of Bear Creek Skidder .Resize na-20737_141.jpgResizena-20739_141.jpgResizena-20740_141.jpgResizena-20741_141.jpg

Last edited:

Len Burton

Occupation
Retired
I remember the 54 Ford 4 door and 47 Plymouth 4 door. We left the 47 in the bush. I also remember Rick falling asleep at the wheel on our way to Renfrew at about 5am on a Monday morning on the West Coast Road driving the 54. I was sleeping with my head on the door post when Rick grabbed me by the collar and yelled were gonna roll. We didn't roll just caved in the passenger side of the car bouncing off a rock face about mile 13 and ended up slightly off road. Another car came along and pulled us out. We always left for Renfrew on Monday mornings, made for a long day. Dam near fell asleep and fell off the roof of the trucks I was second loading a few times.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Great pics and memories, guys, thanks for posting on forum.
Len, is 2nd loader referring to the use of tongs on the loader, and the man on the roof that helps release tongs? For a while I've been thinking it was to do with double shifting machines, but maybe it's tongs...?

camptramp

Occupation
Who drove the 190 was it Fred Call?

By the time I started working at Renfrew Div. (Feb 1966) the #190 had 2 bunks on its tail frame and a short wagon style trailer to haul short chunks , can't remember who drove it at that time , I recall the Truck Dispatcher sending the #190 out to Olie Virtanen who was running the #71 log loader at the time . Olie said he didn't have enough chunks for a load , but #190 was sent out for a load anyways . Olie loaded the truck with the shortest logs he had on landing , which hung out the back about 10 - 15 feet , I think Reid Bryson was driving it that day , every time he shifted gears , the front of the truck lifted off the ground . A couple of years after that , the #188 was retired off the "Line Horse". And the "Line Horse " winch was put on the #190 . Fred Call drove the #205 an HDX Hayes at that time .

camptramp

Occupation
Great pics and memories, guys, thanks for posting on forum.
Len, is 2nd loader referring to the use of tongs on the loader, and the man on the roof that helps release tongs? For a while I've been thinking it was to do with double shifting machines, but maybe it's tongs...?

In the days of loading with tongs before "Grapples " were perfected , at Renfrew Div. the "Head Loader" was on the ground and set the Tongs on the logs , he would pick the log to fit in place to build a load and judge where to place the Tongs to get the right length , with truck end of log close to water tank on truck but still allowing truck to turn on switch back corners . 2nd loaders stood on "Pidgin Roof " over cab of logging truck , Kicking off Tongs from logs if operator couldn't shake them off and using "Stamp Hammer " to put "Timber Mark " on end of logs as well as putting paint marks on truck end of log .

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. , 1st picture is of the "Lunch Box " Bear 1950 . 2nd picture is of the "Weeping Hemlock" Tree in the Crossover area along the Harris Creek . 3rd picture is Eric Saari at Scuzzy Creek Boston Bar Div. Oct 1988.scan84.jpgscan85.jpgscan86.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy F. (Eric Saari) BCFP Renfrew Div. 3rd picture Eric Saari standing on loaded logging truck with son Danny & daughter Cathy at Harris Cr. Camp .scan89.jpgscan90.jpgscan91.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Cathy Fielding ,1st picture Industrial Site office January 1969 . 2nd picture The Saari's second house at Harris Cr. Camp (Note skid sticking out of skirting , these houses were built in two halves in town and brought up to Harris Cr. on Logging Rail Road , then put back together ) 3rd picture is Play Ground in Beach Camp , March 1976scan92.jpgscan93.jpgscan94.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I . (Ike Isacson) In the early summer of 1980 the BCFP Renfrew Div. logging truck #239 an HDX Hayes had a run away on the hill dropping down off the Caycuse Hook/Up Road approaching the Caycuse Dry Land Sort . The first 3 pictures are ones I took of the wreck , the 4th and 5th pictures are pictures Ike Isacson took of the truck by the CaycuseScan18.jpgScan19.jpgScan20.jpgscan21.jpgscan22.jpg Shop .