• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Over the years in the Logging Industry many ideas were tried . Here is a Euclid repurposed to be used as a rock drill . And a D8 Grade Cat equipped as a Rock Drill .

Attachments

• scan959.jpg
    scan959.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 52
  • scan960.jpg
    scan960.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 51
  • scan962.jpg
    scan962.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 51

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Over the years in the Logging Industry many ideas were tried . Here is a Euclid repurposed to be used as a rock drill . And a D8 Grade Cat equipped as a Rock Drill .
Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie had a D8 set up as a rock drill although nothing as nice/compact as in the photo.
One thing I'm always impressed with were the creature comforts on the equipment in BC. I don't think Weyerhaeuser or any logging company ever owned a drill with a cab. You were always right alongside the drill (even on the D8) breathing rock dust alternating between muddy and dusty depending on the day. It was always a throwback to the days of "you hired out to be tough, now be tough." These days, I really like my creature comforts.

camptramp

Occupation
Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie had a D8 set up as a rock drill although nothing as nice/compact as in the photo.
One thing I'm always impressed with were the creature comforts on the equipment in BC. I don't think Weyerhaeuser or any logging company ever owned a drill with a cab. You were always right alongside the drill (even on the D8) breathing rock dust alternating between muddy and dusty depending on the day. It was always a throwback to the days of "you hired out to be tough, now be tough." These days, I really like my creature comforts.
The early Grade Cat to Cat Drill were quite a bit more primitive than this one .

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen BCFP Renfrew Div. #204 HDX Hayes Logging Truck , HD Hayes " Chunk Truck" with a Courtnay style loader , A former Gravel Truck being reperposed for a Fire Truck tanker .

Attachments

• scan967.jpg
    scan967.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • scan969.jpg
    scan969.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 66
  • scan970.jpg
    scan970.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

camptramp

Occupation
Good point LOL BCFP had a lot of Dodge and Fargo's . I think E.P. Taylor the Entrepreneur that created British Columbia Forest Products Co. Ltd. must have had investments in Chrysler Motors . Everything in camp had Chrysler engines in them . Fords started showing up in the mid 1970's .

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. An early Photo showing a "Jill Poke" used to dump railroad "Skeleton Cars" into San Juan Bay at the Beach Camp log dump. This picture may have been taken during the Malahat Logging era . Several years ago a new Pleasure Boat Marina at Port Renfrew was built along the shoreline at this location .

Attachments

• scan254.jpg
    scan254.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 39

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. When the Timber on the East side of Williams Cr. and North side of the San Juan River was harvested , logging was completed in those areas . The Williams Creek Trestle was also at the end of its life . To continue to be able to travel from Port Renfrew to Shawnigan Lake with "light vehicle traffic" required a bridge over William's Cr. . Somebody came up with the idea to build a "Swinging Bridge" on cables . The bridge served its purpose for a good many years and now is also lost in history .

Attachments

• scan256.jpg
    scan256.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 40

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. When the Timber on the East side of Williams Cr. and North side of the San Juan River was harvested , logging was completed in those areas . The Williams Creek Trestle was also at the end of its life . To continue to be able to travel from Port Renfrew to Shawnigan Lake with "light vehicle traffic" required a bridge over William's Cr. . Somebody came up with the idea to build a "Swinging Bridge" on cables . The bridge served its purpose for a good many years and now is also lost in history .
I drove over a similar bridge crossing the Skykomish River. Just west of the town of Baring. Once was enough for me. If there would have been a different way back I would have taken it. The bridge was originally built in 1930 and is due to be replaced in 2026.

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #73 a Model 6 Northwest Log Loader , #204 HDX Hayes Logging Truck . The #73 was originally a grade shovel that was used to build railroad grade and logging roads . About the same time "Cats" were being perfected and used to build roads , Log loaders were being developed to load logs . Grade Shovels were recycled to use as log loaders . In the picture a "Goose Neck Boom" has replaced the shovel boom and dipper stick and a single line is use for a "Tong Line". A couple of years later the operators cab would be raised , the boom would be set up to use three lines to control a "Grapple" . This machine may have been built in the late 1930's or 1940's and was still loading logs in the late 1970's . It's sad to think that after paying its own way for so many years , it was probably cut up for scrap !

Attachments

• scan265.jpg
    scan265.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 35
  • scan266.jpg
    scan266.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 34
  • scan267.jpg
    scan267.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 34

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Many many years ago I was sent to Renfrew on a field service job. Somebody had told me I could get through from Shawnigan so of coarse I had to give it a try. I did cross the bridge but there was quite a pucker factor in the process. I didn't come home the same way. d.d.

camptramp

Occupation
Many many years ago I was sent to Renfrew on a field service job. Somebody had told me I could get through from Shawnigan so of coarse I had to give it a try. I did cross the bridge but there was quite a pucker factor in the process. I didn't come home the same way. d.d.
It was always good for a chuckle to have somebody in the car or truck that had never been on that road before. As you approach the bridge , speed up alittle . As you can't see the bridge until your almost on it , Their reaction was always interesting . LOL