• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C13 Head gasket sealant

husker farmer

A c13 (kcb) I'm considering is not holding OEM head gaskets. The head is a new OEM CAT and the mechanic suspects a block deck issue. The rest of the motor is in good shape, despite approximately 650k miles on the current build. The liners are in good position.
Is it advisable and is there a sealant to use on a new head gasket that would address the problem?
I'm not able to sink $ for a full rebuild, but was only going to do main and rod bearings along with the head gasket work.
This motor also has the single turbo conversion and tuned to about 510hp
Thoughts?

Shimmy1

I have a pretty good idea, but you are not going to like it.

If this engine originally had IVAs, which I'm guessing it did, they are no longer functional, since it has been converted to single turbo and has a tune.

That engine will NEVER hold head gaskets because you are running an absolutely ridiculous amount of cylinder pressure due to having too high of compression pistons for how it is being operated.

Of course, if this issue was addressed at the time of the tune, disregard this information.

Last edited:

husker farmer

Just to clarify, I haven't bought this motor and am weighing the risks. My current c13 vented the block with a rod, so I am shopping around.

I'm not sure if the pistons in this motor were changed during the turbo work but that's a good point. The current owner has tried two head gaskets already plus a new head, as described in my original post. The motor is now on a stand, out of the truck.

If there are too many red flags/risks, I have no problem walking away from it.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Lemme guess. Your KCB has a big ol’e hole in the block where the connecting rod escaped?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I use Kopper Kote on a ton of head gaskets......but I don't believe it will repair this problem.
Have used that product on head gaskets since the mid 1970's and it's still a good product albeit $$$ nowadays.....

husker farmer

Max out of deck range end to end .002, but there is also the possible issue of a slight twist
diagonally corner to corner. if that is just .001 combined with the .002 and fretted counter
bores-----------.
Thanks, that's helpful. Can a good engine shop or machinist measure this without tearing down the engine?

Truck Shop

Can a good engine shop or machinist measure this without tearing down the engine?
For any deck measurements the top end needs to be stripped and for the most accurate measurement
the block surface needs to be cleaned with a fine sand paper. To make sure nothing is obstructing
the procedure. More than likely because it's already had two head gaskets--the block has been
subjected to X amount of scrapers and abrasives, next to liner bores is where the low spots will be
found.

Truck Shop

Not to say this works on diesels I would never try it. In the olden days of flat head engines
if Copper Coat wouldn't hold--Then the last ditch was Indian Head. Coat both sides torque
head let set 24 hours run for 1/2 hour to cook the Indian head. To remove head remove
head bolts and start engine.
*s-l960.jpg

Truck Shop

I don't want any of that. Hard to find a intake or exhaust port on a flathead.

Last edited: