• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C13 Head gasket sealant

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I don't want any of that. Hard to find a intake or exhaust port on a flathead.
That's when the railroad pinch point pry came out pivoting/fulcrumed on a 4X4 standing on a frame rail for the leverage while you forced upward bearing against casting flash, the "ledge" that slightly overhung the block surface, or a bolt or stud threaded into a mounting hole for some bracket. If that didn't work, you drove a very stiff blade scraper between the deck and head in several places to destroy the gasket and bond. Gawd, I remember the days.

Better to do things right, but all kinds of cowboys out there.....

Seen a guy in high school run the valves on a 302 Ford engine in a Maverick and used gasket shellac on the gaskets along with a brand new set of Mickey Thompson polished covers. No Polylocs and solid lifters so next time he wet to adjust, you guessed it, the original stamped rocker covers went back on as the nice aluminum ones had pieces broken out of them getting them removed from the engine.

1693TA

Occupation
I don't know loosening the head bolts/draining coolant hit the key-pop.
I imagine on a diesel that would work. Never seen it used on head gaskets on an OHV gasoline, or diesel engine myself. Older flatheads; seen it a lot.

Tyler d4c

IMHO there are steps you should take regarding this engine - f'kin big ones in the opposite direction......
Well like he said my fix was that approach.
A c12 damn near bolts in its place. Not that it is a favorite engine of many but we have good service from them.

Shimmy1

So maybe i missed it, but was the head gasket leaking only coolant or was it blowing the compression seal ring part at the liner surface?

Never said. Does it really matter though? We all know what is causing the problems, don't we?

with the head gasket work.
This motor also has the single turbo conversion and tuned to about 510hp
Thoughts?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Never said. Does it really matter though? We all know what is causing the problems, don't we?
C13 motors are available ex-factory rated up to 525 BHP but it is specific to fire truck applications and uses compound turbocharging. I would assume that the problem with this particular engine is that it doesn't confirm to any standard arrangement - therefore it is, and always will be, a ba$stard step-child when it comes to parts.

Shimmy1

C13 motors are available ex-factory rated up to 525 BHP but it is specific to fire truck applications and uses compound turbocharging. I would assume that the problem with this particular engine is that it doesn't confirm to any standard arrangement - therefore it is, and always will be, a ba$stard step-child when it comes to parts.
You are not familiar with the redneck delete process that goes on here? They convert to a single turbo, disable the IVAs, and stick a hotrod tune in it. They run 60-70 lbs of boost.

Pull like a freight train until the head gasket fails because of the extreme cylinder pressures due to way too much compression.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
On a some what related theme, in todays local paper:

Truck Shop

Hot rod tune--Cummins initiated the original factory blow your motor up with compound turbos
combined with too much fuel all the way back in 1979 with the crazy a$$ 475 hp MVT.
At a possible boost of 52 lbs, it broke head bolts and was guaranteed to distort the engine block.
Long before IVA's and new era rednecks with a hoodly dang laptop.

56wrench

I never did understand why an engine’s maximum rating could be increased for fire apparatus. Max power for a short burst? Ya right:rolleyes:. Some of the firefighters i used to know could break an anvil. I would think they would want the best dependability out of an engine or just design the apparatus for a bigger engine. The bean counters sometimes have too much input into the final product

1693TA

Occupation
The firefighters around here could truly bust an anvil with little effort. They keep in shape by beating their own chest and drums, along with locals doors for "fundraising" all while attempting to break their own shoulders patting themselves on the back.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I never did understand why an engine’s maximum rating could be increased for fire apparatus. Max power for a short burst? Ya right:rolleyes:. Some of the firefighters i used to know could break an anvil. I would think they would want the best dependability out of an engine or just design the apparatus for a bigger engine. The bean counters sometimes have too much input into the final product
They are designed that way because they know most fire trucks don't even pass 100,000 miles in a lifetime. Same ratings usually for RV which also get similar low miles.

I never had much problem with head gaskets but I suspect rods and mains suffer, but who cares, it all heads to a scrap yard long before it ever becomes a problem.

Every truck or piece of machinery has its expected life span before it turns to razor blades.